#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Pies2016 wrote:We need to remember, DeGoey isn’t a trade. The only way we could stop him going to a major challenger, is to match the other clubs contract offer and then he goes nowhere. If we don’t want him or he wants out, then we have no control over where he goes. All you’re hoping for as a Collingwood supporter, is that the contract offered elsewhere, is so significant, that it allows for a maximum compensation return ( which would likely max out as the very next pick after our first round pick ) Example - if our first round pick is #13, then best scenario compo pick would be # 14 and right now, that is a very possible outcome.
https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/free-agency
An offer to a Restricted Free Agent (De Goey) may be matched by their Club. Should their original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with their original Club, they must enter the National Draft or seek a trade.
Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost (De Goey) and gained (McStay) during the transfer period.
If De Goey wishes to leave then surely we're smart enough to either force a trade by matching an offer for him or trade for McStay to protect our F/A compensation.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Swoop, I’d be confident the club would try to orchestrate a trade for McStay Trying to orchestrate a trade for DeGoey remains problematic because if a club wants DeGoey so much, they will simply increase the contract to an amount Collingwood chooses not to match. Clubs won’t have much trouble finding another $100,000 if it means they don’t have to give up a first rounder to trade him in.
We keep hearing Browne say the offer will be responsible and in line with market values. We also know he has disappointed the club repeatedly in recent times. With all that in mind, i don’t see how our offer ends up being the best one on the table. DeGoey of course, may yet take a haircut to repay the club and he doesn’t go anywhere but again, that’s up to him. Our most likely and simple way to get a return for DeGoey ( assuming he goes and McStay arrives ) is to throw the lions a a couple third round picks to help them with their two F / S prospects. ( and they will need a truck load of points this draft period )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Losing DeGoey and gaining McStay is a net loss in personnel no matter how you look at it.

I'd much prefer to keep Jordy, at the right price. I remain unconvinced as to what McStay adds that we need unless we plan to play him Full Back.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

stui magpie wrote:Losing DeGoey and gaining McStay is a net loss in personnel no matter how you look at it.

I'd much prefer to keep Jordy, at the right price. I remain unconvinced as to what McStay adds that we need unless we plan to play him Full Back.
I agree stui. If Dean and Kelly emerge as key defenders next year, we should be right for defensive options and up forward we should have Kreuger, Begg and Johnson to call on. I've got nothing against McStay, but I simply haven't seen any evidence that he is much of a player.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

swoop42 wrote:De Goey going to Geelong would be a disastrous outcome IMO.

Not only would we need to replace a highly talented footballer to just break even when it comes to our own 22 we would be improving a team who'll remain one of our fiercest competitors for a Premiership in the coming seasons.

Surely the art of any great trade is making sure you improve your clubs position but in the process don't give an already superior team an added advantage and diminish your chances of beating them for a flag in the immediate future.

If we trade De Goey to Geelong I'd argue we'll be further away from a Premiership at the start of 2023.

Stuff that.

If De Goey wants out then a side like St Kilda is a far better outcome for us not only because they're an inferior team to Geelong, after 100 years of mediocrity I can't see De Goey being the catalyst for change.

P.S- Any chance the Geelong TPP will ever be scrutinised?

We had to conduct a fire sale at the end of 2020 and yet a side who has missed finals once in a decade and attracted some of the games biggest trade targets since 2015 in Dangerfield and Cameron can now afford De Goey.
How the hell do these wildly successful teams manage their salary cap, if Geelong could afford JDG?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote:Losing DeGoey and gaining McStay is a net loss in personnel no matter how you look at it.

Agree Stu but I think Pies end game, should DeGoey leave, is to replace him with Taranto. Rumours and fact are two different things but I would be pretty disappointed if DeGoey left and he wasn’t replaced by a Taranto / Hopper type in return.
It wouldn’t be too hard to orchestrate a trade period outcome where we were to lose DeGoey but replace him with Taranto and McStay ( preferably as a key defender )
Weve added 13 players from the last three National drafts, so I don’t think we would be that fussed if we weren’t involved in the pointy end this year.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

I think if Graeme Wright is the genius people make out then Collingwood should end up with Taranto & McStay.
While also keeping JDG & Grundy.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

scoobydoo wrote:I think if Graeme Wright is the genius people make out then Collingwood should end up with Taranto & McStay.
I think you are confusing genius with miracle worker extraordinaire! Wrighty will do the right thing by Collingwood but it might not reach your levels of expectation. The above scenario is not at all possible.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Most Premiership sides will contain one or two rogues and De Goey could be ours if we stick by him.

For mine the element of his personality that makes him a bit of a lad off field is also what feeds his footballing ability and makes him a match winner at his best.

I actually think Ross Lyon made a valid point on footy classified last week when he wondered how De Goey could be considered finished at Collingwood yet suitable for another club.

Surely if his indiscretions were so unforgivable no other club would touch him.

When expanding his opinion and talking about the media pile on over De Goey I believe the point he was trying to make was how two faced it is by the media to basically pressure De Goey out the door of Collingwood all the while there is a very real perception he'll be given a clean slate by them at another club.

I think he's spot on and it's complete hypocrisy on their part.

If De Goey hasn't lost the broad support of his teammates and our new senior coach then the club need to think long and hard whether parting ways with another talent just two years down the track from Treloar is the right one for our group and the special bond seemingly forming before our eyes.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Yeah, I agree swoop. However, if his manager tries to bend us over for a monster contract, then I suspect we will let him pursue that elsewhere. He deserves to be very well paid as he is a great player and a genuine match winner. However, he certainly has not delivered to the expectations of our club or himself, in terms consistency or of being one of the absolute top players in the AFL. After all, he hasn't come close to winning a Copeland yet. Nevertheless, he is a very important member of our team and I hope he decides he wants to stay and help us win premierships.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

RudeBoy wrote:Yeah, I agree swoop. However, if his manager tries to bend us over for a monster contract, then I suspect we will let him pursue that elsewhere. He deserves to be very well paid as he is a great player and a genuine match winner. However, he certainly has not delivered to the expectations of our club or himself, in terms consistency or of being one of the absolute top players in the AFL. After all, he hasn't come close to winning a Copeland yet. Nevertheless, he is a very important member of our team and I hope he decides he wants to stay and help us win premierships.
11 days until the season opener Rudey, have you secured tickets?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

I can't see how losing De Goey will make us a better side in 2023. Even adding Taranto in his place would be a nil all draw at best. And what if Taranto chooses to go elsewhere? Yikes!

I can see how he will make another side better though and what if that side happens to be Geelong? Can't see how that improves our chances at a flag in the near future.

Might as well just keep him yeah.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Jordon showed us against Port, exactly why we need to keep him, he is a game changer, id hate to see him play for some geriatric team like the Cats, our premiership window is opening now, we need him with us, long term.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

swoop42 wrote:I can't see how losing De Goey will make us a better side in 2023. Even adding Taranto in his place would be a nil all draw at best. And what if Taranto chooses to go elsewhere? Yikes!

I can see how he will make another side better though and what if that side happens to be Geelong? Can't see how that improves our chances at a flag in the near future.

Might as well just keep him yeah.
If we let JDG leave, it just shows that Collingwood has never learned from previous harsh lessons and never ever will. It takes us loyal fans for granted and obviously doesn’t give a shit about what Fly has said about the importance of keeping JDG
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
themonk

Post by themonk »

lazzadesilva wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:I think if Graeme Wright is the genius people make out then Collingwood should end up with Taranto & McStay.
I think you are confusing genius with miracle worker extraordinaire! Wrighty will do the right thing by Collingwood but it might not reach your levels of expectation. The above scenario is not at all possible.
I think this is a given, Pendles, Steele & Hoskin are on decent coin & will retire in the next 2 years.

I expect Wrighty to make it happen