#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

No, we may be posting at cross-purposes - I mean is it likely that Collingwood would increase the offer it pulled, not whether St Kilda has made an offer of 3 + 2 - I don't doubt that your comment about that is accurate.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

warburton lad wrote:We keep De Goey (5 years at $720K/annum) and play him in the centre-forward role alternating with Jamie Elliott.

2023 Team- Assuming the recruitment of: McStay & Bobby Hill and the return of Grundy and Kreuger from injury.

B: Maynard. Moore. Howe

HB : Pendlebury Murphy. Quaynor

C: J Daicos. De Goey. Sidebottom

HF: Henry. Kreuger. Mihocek

F: Elliott. McStay. Ginnivan

Ruck: Grundy. Crisp Adams

IC: Bobby Hill, N. Daicos, Cameron, Lipinski

Emergency: C Brown, T Brown, MacRae, Poulter, McCreery, Kelly, McMahon, Dean, Cox, Bianco, Madgen, Johnson, Carmichael, Wilson, Draper, Ruscoe, McInnes, Murley, Chugg, Harrison, Hoskin-Elliott, Begg....
Not a bad assessment WL. IF McStay happens to land at Collingwood, I reckon it will be as a key backman, where he actually started his career at Brisbane. Something we desperately need. As for the I/C I can’t see either of the Browns being there. Perhaps Tyler with another pre season under his belt could become a Silvani type utility. Poulter wants home and I’m thinking Madgen gets delisted.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

mudlark wrote:
warburton lad wrote:We keep De Goey (5 years at $720K/annum) and play him in the centre-forward role alternating with Jamie Elliott.

2023 Team- Assuming the recruitment of: McStay & Bobby Hill and the return of Grundy and Kreuger from injury.

B: Maynard. Moore. Howe

HB : Pendlebury Murphy. Quaynor

C: J Daicos. De Goey. Sidebottom

HF: Henry. Kreuger. Mihocek

F: Elliott. McStay. Ginnivan

Ruck: Grundy. Crisp Adams

IC: Bobby Hill, N. Daicos, Cameron, Lipinski

Emergency: C Brown, T Brown, MacRae, Poulter, McCreery, Kelly, McMahon, Dean, Cox, Bianco, Madgen, Johnson, Carmichael, Wilson, Draper, Ruscoe, McInnes, Murley, Chugg, Harrison, Hoskin-Elliott, Begg....
Not a bad assessment WL. IF McStay happens to land at Collingwood, I reckon it will be as a key backman, where he actually started his career at Brisbane. Something we desperately need. As for the I/C I can’t see either of the Browns being there. Perhaps Tyler with another pre season under his belt could become a Silvani type utility. Poulter wants home and I’m thinking Madgen gets delisted. As for Jordy, if we trade home and then spends year’s looking for and developing a “Jordan DeGoey”. Makes no sense to me. He stays and will be adequately compensated. Your number looks about right.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

mudlark wrote: As for Jordy, if we trade home and then spends year’s looking for and developing a “Jordan DeGoey”. Makes no sense to me. He stays and will be adequately compensated. Your number looks about right.
Totally agree with your logic re JDG. It’s nuts to get rid of him and then bust our guts finding another similar player. That’s why I hope like hell that Collingwood take steps to retain him. The rest is up to him. If he is that bloody desperate to join The Ain’ts, then it’s a different story and back to seeking an adequate replacement. Time will tell.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Marvelos

Post by Marvelos »

Need to keep him, I’d be happy if we reinstated his original offer but hopefully he signs for less, Grundy needs to do the team thing and give back 150kpa, otherwise he can **** off.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

You don’t trade out match winners. Especially those under $1 million per year.
Also, must resign Henry. Future match winner.
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

His last quarter last night was massive. He turned the momentum of the game.
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:His last quarter last night was massive. He turned the momentum of the game.

For Chrissakes put the original deal back on the table, last night showed absolutely we cannot lose him, we cannot afford too, had he not played, last night, we would not have won, its that &%^%&%^& simple, thats it, he is a vital , vital player for us, sign him back up now, itd be a wonderful coup on the eve of the Finals. Just do it, do it NOW. :o :?:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

scoobydoo wrote:You don’t trade out match winners. Especially those under $1 million per year.
Also, must resign Henry. Future match winner.
agree to both

ive been more than hard on degoey, no apologies, last night he really showed heart, guts, determination, more importantly, team team team, and yes that mad talent he is lucky enough to posess, hope he has the balls to stay, as i just read in an article, playing on the edge rather than in a comfy money deal elsewhere
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

We'd be nuts to let him walk because we lowballed his contract offer.

Clearly we withdrew the offer we had on the table following the Bali furor both for PR (we announced that we'd done it) and to also send a message.

Apart from what we see on field, the club would want to be happy with what they see off field, how be behaves at training, meetings, has he bought into the team ethos, etc.

Fly has stated he wants him to stay, he will have a lot of sway in that decision. Clubs don' just let players go that the coach wants to keep.

Of course he's going to have to take less to stay, we can't match a Godfather offer from St Kilda, but we need to make a genuine realistic offer.

If we've been happy with what we've seen off field, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we've come back with a 3+2 offer.

In a perfect world, we sort it out before finals time.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Jeez I hope you are right stui. I'm just worried that after our club buckled to media woke pressure and withdrew our offer, that Jordy and his >snip< manager didn't say to themselves "well >snip< them, we'll get a better deal elsewhere". I honestly think JDG is our only irreplaceable player. No-one else on our list has his power and explosiveness around packs. Players like that win Grand finals.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I hope I'm right too Rudey. I reckon that would have been exactly Jordy's initial reaction, but I'm hoping that since then and after taking the weeks mental health break, he's realised that the club had little choice. Right, wrong or otherwise, it was the only way to shut the media up.

Plus it sends the message, we love ya, but you have to pull your head in off field and start thinking.

If he wasn't playing last night, we lose. Simple as that. If he chooses to take the money and run, that's his choice, but we need to make sure we put enough to him to make it a hard decision.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

He’s playing in the most exciting team in the comp
Money isn’t everything

For the love of the game!

Be the gero
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I have NFI what a gero is, but no one plays AFL just for the love of the game.

Once you get up into the areas AFL players earn, for every extra $100k you could get, half that goes in tax. Athletes have a short period to maximise their earnings, not many normal careers have you washed up in your early 30's, but great teams don't have to pay players overs to stay, they take less to be part of team success.

Jordy doesn't strike me as the type to go into the media and he isn't going on to a career as a rocket surgeon, so he may prioritise wringing every last cent he can get out of his AFL career, but I hope not.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Last edited by pietillidie on Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm