Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Dave The Man wrote:
Damien wrote:
Dave The Man wrote: Licuria?
Got it in one Dave
So you think Adams could be very Simmlar to Licca?
We can only hope so Dave. Only time will tell.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

E wrote:
Az wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote: I'm not talking only about 3 missed shots on goal mate. I'm talking about the numerous clangers all over the ground the resulted in turn overs. After 4 or 5 games? This kid has had the rare opportunity to be exposed to more senior football than most kids his age with playing 2 seasons with the Giants. We are not talking about a 4 or 5 gamer here. By now he should be used to standing up under pressure surely?
as daisy said so eloquently - "Heters are going to hate". would you believe there are people on this site who say the samne thing about Steele Sidebottom.

There have been some mention of the fact that he may be placing undue pressure on himself to prove himself worthy. It is a very common problem that befalls number 1 draft picks and big contract or heavily recruited players. the desire to live up to lofty expectations.

add to this the fact that his position in the team is not secure by any means and we have ample reasons to think that these clear problems he is showing in the seniors could be correctible in time with confidence and time.

For those who have seen him in the twos I would be very very interested to hear what his disposals are like during his great games? I think ultimately if he is highly skilled, he will get over what is holding him back at the minute. If he is under skilled, he might be able to correct it (as others on this site have noted Lucuria, BJ, tony shaw, James Manson and others were able to do).

some here have taken shots at Sinkers, but no matter what your opinion of him was before he hurt himself, everyone would have to admit he is infinitely better at disposing the ball than his first 5 weeks of footy for the pies suggested. he used to run in to open goals and kick them out on the full.

I would be very surprised if bucks is as far off the mark on this kid as it appears to be at the minute.
Well said. I think most people on here actually suggest/hope Adams can/will turn it around. There are a few at either end of the spectrum who have extreme views but they are in the minority.

That doesn't mean we should accept what he's dishing up. I'd be fairly confident both Adams and the coaching staff expect better.

I know I'm one of those who repeatedly states Sidebottoms disposal and/or use of the footy is the biggest flaw in his game. Probably the only barrier to him becoming elite in fact. Well that and his new found thuggery. But that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge his contribution or the fact he's definitely in the first 5-6 magnets that hit the white board at selection meetings. Making an observation about one aspect of his game does not mean I think he's shit.

Ditto with Sinclair. Ditto with Armstrong. You can just keep going.

The bigger issue here is that these boards are becoming a pissing contest rather than a healthy discussion about all things Collingwood. Posters are continually derided because they hold a different opinion. You will never get full consensus but it doesn't need to be us versus them... remember, side by side.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

3rd degree wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
melliot wrote:I can think of a great young inside mid that was an ordinary kick. He even won an ANZAC medal as a teenager and looked a star in the making.

Ended up being traded to Saints and not doing much in the end.

For every example of success, there are plenty of failures too.

Taylors kicking display was poor for his most recent game. Some of the worst I've seen for a while for a player at that level and a mid. If the cause was because he tried too hard I'd hate to see what he does when he isn't trying. Taylor needs to do plenty of work on it. Cos it costs.

Dave I'm amazed. If it was Trav, you'd be telling us he should be dropped to find kicking form. This despite him providing huge structure and no valid replacement. Yet Taylor has a better replacement. Try to leave your bias aside when making a true judgment.

Not saying Taylor isn't any good. Looks a beauty. But butchers the ball. Needs to get that skill to an acceptable level.
Adams is way better then McGough.

Well were is his ANZAC Day Medal Dave??? :wink:
Did Adams play the ANZAC day game? That might preclude him from having a medal.
selkevh

Post by selkevh »

First game back in seniors for awhile. Needs more time getting used to the pace and fitness required at the top level.

A hard nut who will get better.
A strong man stands up for himself ... a stronger man stands up for others.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

selkevh wrote:First game back in seniors for awhile. Needs more time getting used to the pace and fitness required at the top level.

But you want these guys producing regularly and consistently at AFL ready standards in the VFL to demand a senior spot. I know he was a last minute replacement but he's had time on a senior list so should be there abouts. I think that is why people are being so critical.

I can't remember who it was that said it but one poster was of the opinion that Adams should play a significant number of VFL games for us prior to getting his first senior game, so he garners a more complete understanding of our systems and game plan, but he was regularly howled down. Maybe he was right.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

melliot wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:I think Adams is already better than Ball. But he will get much, much better, the more games he gets under his belt. He needs to be played in the middle for at least 3 games in a row so he can settle into his role. Does anyone recall Fasolo's 2nd goal on Friday night, kicked through on the goal line, after Adams did a Kamikaze dive through the pack, using his body as a human battering ram, forcing the ball on to Fasolo who goaled. He's already in my best 22.
Adams is not better than Ball ATM. Your kidding yourself.

The future, well maybe. Time will tell. No doubt age will catch up with Ball, if not by the end of the year or the next. Ball is a class act and brings more to the game than his in-under ability. Don't underestimate the additional leadership he brings to the side.

I hope Adams is a huge success and I think he will be. He has shown great signs and elements to his game. But lets not get ahead of what he produces at the moment. The OP is about his kicking and it is a clear weakness. It is below standard. Stop making excuses. He needs to work on it and improve it, whether it be technique or mental application under pressure. But lets not think it is not an issue.
Agreed Adams , is not even close to Ball at this stage, not really worth the comparison . Taylor is a young player why Ball is a legend of the game.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

3rd degree wrote:
melliot wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:I think Adams is already better than Ball. But he will get much, much better, the more games he gets under his belt. He needs to be played in the middle for at least 3 games in a row so he can settle into his role. Does anyone recall Fasolo's 2nd goal on Friday night, kicked through on the goal line, after Adams did a Kamikaze dive through the pack, using his body as a human battering ram, forcing the ball on to Fasolo who goaled. He's already in my best 22.

The future, well maybe. Time will tell. No doubt age will catch up with Ball, if not by the end of the year or the next. Ball is a class act and brings more to the game than his in-under ability. Don't underestimate the additional leadership he brings to the side.

I hope Adams is a huge success and I think he will be. He has shown great signs and elements to his game. But lets not get ahead of what he produces at the moment. The OP is about his kicking and it is a clear weakness. It is below standard. Stop making excuses. He needs to work on it and improve it, whether it be technique or mental application under pressure. But lets not think it is not an issue.
Agreed Adams , is not even close to Ball at this stage, not really worth the comparison . Taylor is a young player why Ball is a legend of the game.
Ball is a 2010 Premiership hero and as fearless and hard as they come. However, his kicking has always been pretty terrible and he has slowed down considerably over the last 12 months. On a wet track he'd be one of the first I'd pick, but on a fast dry ground I genuinely think the game has gone beyond him now. As for Adams, he certainly needs to improve his composure when kicking for goal, but even his kicking is better than Ball's imo. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic about Adams, but based on his VFL and pre-season form, I sense all he needs is about 3 weeks in the seniors to find his feet and confidence. Time will tell, but I predict he'll be in our best 22 come September this year.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

jackcass wrote:
selkevh wrote:First game back in seniors for awhile. Needs more time getting used to the pace and fitness required at the top level.

But you want these guys producing regularly and consistently at AFL ready standards in the VFL to demand a senior spot. I know he was a last minute replacement but he's had time on a senior list so should be there abouts. I think that is why people are being so critical.

I can't remember who it was that said it but one poster was of the opinion that Adams should play a significant number of VFL games for us prior to getting his first senior game, so he garners a more complete understanding of our systems and game plan, but he was regularly howled down. Maybe he was right.
Yeah maybe............. :twisted: :P

Sometimes a fool like me knows more than the others who merely suffer fools like me...... :lol: 8)

Seriously, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Adams will be a fantastic player for Collingwood. This is his first season with Collingwood. A bit of patience from us and a lift in form and confidence from him is all that is needed at the moment.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

3rd degree wrote:
melliot wrote:

The Type of Player Adams is almost the same Type Ball is
I am Da Man
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Don't Worry Dave I rate Adams, but L.Ball is still ahead of him.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Taylor Adams will be alright

Post by Damien »

Can't believe the attack threads on this kid. Post here if you want to show him some support.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
selkevh

Post by selkevh »

He needs more game time at this level. One game up then dropped again to VFL only to return a week later is a bit too hard on the kid.
A strong man stands up for himself ... a stronger man stands up for others.
delcorp

Post by delcorp »

IF he was working for me he would be sacked. How much is he being paid a year by the way?
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

selkevh wrote:He needs more game time at this level. One game up then dropped again to VFL only to return a week later is a bit too hard on the kid.
Agreed.

We need to make the decision, either keep playing him or drop him until his disposal improves, he was very good today apart from his kicking.
Last edited by Bob Sugar on Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
lihei
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by lihei »

Your kidding?? This guy is indefensible
Cancel the Cancel Culture.