Jokes Jokes and More Jokes

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Tannin

Post by Tannin »

I read it. Can't remember it. That suggests that it was indeed not very funny. I always remember the good ones. (Sometimes for as long as five minutes.)
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Tannin wrote:I read it. Can't remember it. That suggests that it was indeed not very funny. I always remember the good ones. (Sometimes for as long as five minutes.)
Oh the irony.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Not funny" is always a subjective claim.

I read it before it was deleted. Initially, I thought it was a bit tasteless, but then I got the point of the joke - it's not making fun of dementia patients, but 'knock knock' jokes themselves. It's a meta-joke, with a bit of black humour thrown in for good measure.

This is why, incidentally, people who say "[insert subject] isn't funny" nearly always miss the point. And even if multiple people find something funny, they're not always laughing for the same reason.
Last edited by David on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

I said it wasn't funny, that was my opinion. I have no problem if dangles wants to put it back up and I totally get the irony in Tannins post.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

David wrote:"Not funny" is always a subjective claim.

I read it before it was deleted. Initially, I thought it was a bit tasteless, but then I got the point of the joke - it's not making fun of dementia patients, but 'knock knock' jokes themselves. It's a meta-joke, with a bit of black humour thrown in for good measure.

This is why, incidentally, people who say "[insert subject] isn't funny" nearly always miss the point. And even if multiple people find something funny, they're not always laughing for the same reason.
It is dementia awareness this month, so maybe his joke should be put back up. If some people didn't find it funny, bad luck, black as it was then, to some people affected by it, they may have a little smile.

Post by 3.14159 »

think positive wrote: And I'm still trying to figure out argit who
Names Argit, nothing else is needed to explain who I am since I don't want any attention drawn to myself

http://argit-will-betrayyou.tumblr.com/about
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 3.14159 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Dangles wrote:
Tannin wrote:I read it. Can't remember it. That suggests that it was indeed not very funny. I always remember the good ones. (Sometimes for as long as five minutes.)
Oh the irony.
Until I read David's post, I didn't remember that it was (apparently) a dementia joke. I really had forgotten it. Hell, David's prompting notwithstanding, I still don't remember it. I only remember the ones that make me laugh.

Any irony in my post was purely coincidental, and comes as news to me.

(I have a habit of not using smilies much. Generally, I prefer, if I'm cracking a joke, to do it dead-pan. Perhaps I need a sort of anti-smilie to put in posts when I'm not trying to be funny.)
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Oh for (mates with) sake!

My mum had dementia, I promise not to get offended, but I'm offended I'm the only one (or two) that doesn't get to choose!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Alright then. Your purpose is (mates with) sake.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

think positive wrote:Oh for (mates with) sake!

My mum had dementia, I promise not to get offended, but I'm offended I'm the only one (or two) that doesn't get to choose!
It was this, more or less:

http://anti-joke.com/anti-joke/recent/2 ... gressed-to
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Tannin wrote:
Dangles wrote:
Oh the irony.
Until I read David's post, I didn't remember that it was (apparently) a dementia joke. I really had forgotten it. Hell, David's prompting notwithstanding, I still don't remember it. I only remember the ones that make me laugh.

Any irony in my post was purely coincidental, and comes as news to me.

(I have a habit of not using smilies much. Generally, I prefer, if I'm cracking a joke, to do it dead-pan. Perhaps I need a sort of anti-smilie to put in posts when I'm not trying to be funny.)
Saul Goodman. I just thought it was ironic that you couldn't remember a joke about memory loss. Even though you weren't trying to be ironic.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Thats okay I forget things all the time.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Main reason I couldn't remember it is that I've heard it 104,532 times before. (Approximately.) Luckily I only remember 76,803 of them.
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Really? Someone told me the joke a couple of nights ago and it was the first time I'd ever heard it. Maybe I should get out more. :?
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

I've heard it claimed that there are only 6* actual jokes in the whole world. All the others are simply variations on these basic 6.

* number varies. Small number anyway.