Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:While Picken may not have been a star his whole career, he's been a pretty regular and remarkably durable senior footballer for the past 8 seasons, averaging 22 games a season and never under 20 in that time. Would have been well worthy of a father son pick accordingly, albeit his value was slow to be spotted by all clubs.

Accordingly, I think I'd be a little slower to defend his non-selection than to suggest that he's only been good for the past couple.
He did a preseason with us in 2005 or 2006, then promptly looked too small, too slow and too talentless for the VFL. I think he came good for Williamstown in about his 3rd season there. He went to Footscray as a rookie at a time when he would scarcely have warranted a place on our list. He's been OK for them but only been a genuine player since 2015. So, he's had 2 outstanding seasons at age 28-30. It's probably downhill from here.
With all due respect P4S, I think that assessment smacks of being a little blinkered.
Clearly he has prospered under Beveridge, but the 2 prior years he was regarded as about the best tagger going around as that was the role he was assigned.
A non-genuine player doesn't simply play 20 games a season, year in and year out, for any club.

8th Club B&F in 2011
3rd in 2012
9th in 2014
10th in 2015
5th in 2016

Clearly he was slow to emerge and maybe he'd have tested our patience and been lost to another club had we selected him F/S, but he's been a footballer of substance for some time now.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Blinkered? The question is whether we missed out by not taking him in 2003 or 2004 as a F/S. He didn't even get on an AFL rookie list until 2009. There is simply no way Collingwood would have kept a small-medium project player on the list for that many seasons, hoping he would come good. Thus, if we had drafted him, he would have finished up playing his good late-career football somewhere else, anyway.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Also in 2003 we had a lot of good HBFers
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Albert Parker wrote:While Picken may not have been a star his whole career, he's been a pretty regular and remarkably durable senior footballer for the past 8 seasons, averaging 22 games a season and never under 20 in that time. Would have been well worthy of a father son pick accordingly, albeit his value was slow to be spotted by all clubs.

Accordingly, I think I'd be a little slower to defend his non-selection than to suggest that he's only been good for the past couple.
Yep. +1.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

stui magpie wrote:^
Was the twin Anthony Williams that played for Port Adelaide and was killed at a young age in a building accident?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Picken was 22 when he was drafted which means he'd been overlooked by every club for 3 drafts before Willi paid for him to get a rookie chance at the Doggies who they were affiliated with. He did 1 preseason at the Pies and 2 at the Doogies without being offered a chance. Liam Picken himself has said it took him a while to realize he wanted to play AFL footy and do the work necessary. What is there to defend.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

5 from the wing on debut wrote: Was the twin Anthony Williams that played for Port Adelaide and was killed at a young age in a building accident?
Yep.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

One of the Twomey sons and the Weed's boy good without being great

Another an interchange in 1990 GF --Jamie Turner son Ken
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
5 from the wing on debut

barrybc41 wrote:One of the Twomey sons and the Weed's boy good without being great

Another an interchange in 1990 GF --Jamie Turner son Ken
David Twomey won goal of the year I think it was a few bounce, long goal at North's ground in 1979. He had a good year.

Mark Weideman kicked a goal with his first kick in VFL footy, from the boundary at the city end of Vic Park. Injuries curtailed his career.

Jamie Turner was known in the Rush Stand as Jamie Turnover for obvious reasons.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David Twomey looked like he was going to have a very long career until he hurt his leg in 1981 (an ACL, I guess, although I don't really remember - on a sprinkler cover at Vic Park, IIRC) and Jamie Turner was a late bloomer. By the end of his career, he played for the (second) Victorian team and he was a solid contributor in the Collingwood side. I think he played every game in 1990, didn't he?
5 from the wing on debut

Pies4shaw wrote:^
I can't recall how many games he played but by that stage he was a certain starter and would only have been out of the team if he was injured, despite the nickname.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Daicos and Brown (jnrs)

Post by dalyc »

Anybody got any good mail about these two?
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Their old man's were OK. :roll:
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

no, sorry. I know Daicos played for the Oakleigh chargers, and occasionally saw he would kick a goal or two, but was never in the best players. I hear he has not been over exposed at this stage,
Collingwood 4 eternity

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

Both of them are Hacks , poor hand and foot skills :wink: 8)
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts