Troll sickness

Suggestions, praise, feedback. Need to communicate with the moderators? This is the place. If you need to communicate privately with the moderators, send email to lesbastardssinistres(at)magpies.net

Moderator: bbmods

Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

I must admit that the mods are more than happy to act when a poster eventually cracks and gives the troll a serve. At the same time they are more than happy to sit on the fence, allow the troll to be active and wait for the fall out.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Yes^.I've had harmless posts deleted,like one recent one where i made fun of The Herald Sun,yet obvious trolling posts are let go by the moderators.Very strange.
yin-YANG

Post by yin-YANG »

It seems a bit rough to have a jibe at the HS pulled by the mods... but overall I would hope that remarks that are negative are not labelled 'troll' and then deleted.

I enjoy the diverse range of opinions given here on Nicks - given my one-eyed bias towards the Pies most supporters are pretty negative compared to me - but I still enjoy diversity.

On-going personal attacks should get the mods to act -not Jack attacking Juliar or Hiss against Eddie thats funny stuff - more so members of the forum. Generally I think the quality of discussions (even by some extreme negative types) are quite entertaining.
Love us or Hate us... we are Collingwood - you can't ignore the Mighty Magpies!!!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Member 7167 wrote:I belive we should develope an ignore list. That is a list of forum members who are negative trolls. If we all put them on the ignore list no one will see their posts and they will soon loose interest and piss off.

My first addition is "Mr Dapper Travis Cloke"
What, like the one we already have?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Troll sickness

Post by Donny »

dalyc wrote:Hi all,

I have no idea what to do about it but Nick's seems to be overrun by trolls. I'm tired of having to read clearly anti-Magpie crap on a Magpie site.

Can we yellow - red card more?

GTP!
"seems to be overrun by trolls" ???

Nick's has over 4000 members. Let's say somewhere between 200 and 2000 regularly post (based on nothing more than for the sake of your assertion).

To be 'overrun', how many trolls do you reckon that to be ? 20 ? 30 ? 50 ? More.

I challenge you to name the lower end of that scale. 20.

I also respectfully suggest you read The Rules (found on top of any Nick's page). Esp. the paragraph re. back seat modding.

Also read the criteria for posting in GD and General Feedback. You'll find your topic has been moved GF.

It's a crock. If one of my fellow mods deletes it, I totally support them.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

Donny wrote:

I have no idea what to do about it but Nick's seems to be overrun by trolls. I'm tired of having to read clearly anti-Magpie crap on a Magpie site.

GTP!

Nick's has over 4000 members. Let's say somewhere between 200 and 2000 regularly post (based on nothing more than for the sake of your assertion).

To be 'overrun', how many trolls do you reckon that to be ? 20 ? 30 ? 50 ? More.

I also respectfully suggest you read The Rules (found on top of any Nick's page). Esp. the paragraph re. back seat modding.

Also read the criteria for posting in GD and General Feedback. You'll find your topic has been moved GF.

I'd go further than that; I challenge you to name any. And I'm not talking about people you don't like, I'm talking about trolls: non-Magpie supporters only here to cause trouble. If you can point them out and provide proof that they are what you think they are then why aren't you doing it?

This board belongs to all of its members and you have as much responsibility for maintaining its integrity as anyone else. If you know something that the moderators don't then do something about it... other than whinging.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

There's usually at least 2 running round at any given time (which as Donny pointed out isn't bad by the averages) with revolving user names who seem to be here just to wind people up.

The easy answer is to ignore people who you don't agree with or who you think is trolling. Don't have to actually put them on ignore, just practice some self discipline by not biting.

And Like Mike said, if you have proof rather than suspicions, email the sinister bastards.

The last few days the board has been over run all right, not by trolls but by grown adults throwing the toys out of the cot and venting in every direction at once.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

It's time for Dapper to be banned. I'm sick of this guy hijacking every thread in the 'General Discussion' part of the forum :evil:
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:The last few days the board has been over run all right, not by trolls but by grown adults throwing the toys out of the cot and venting in every direction at once.
Are you sure about that? :shock:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Joel

Post by Joel »

I'm a firm believer that if certain people detract from the enjoyment of a forum for the majority of users then banning should be allowed.

Why should people put up with trolls, just because it can't be proved that they are trolls?

I'm at the point where I don't think I can be bothered reading or posting on here anymore.

Also, apparently calling other posters names is permitted on Nick's now? I reported a post (a couple of days ago) and nothing has been done. From experience, I understand that these things can take a little bit of time, but surely there doesn't need to be a great deal of discussion on the issue?

Sorry mods - I understand how hard it is, but things are out of balance at the moment.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Mike wrote:
Donny wrote:

GTP!

I'd go further than that; I challenge you to name any. And I'm not talking about people you don't like, I'm talking about trolls: non-Magpie supporters only here to cause trouble. If you can point them out and provide proof that they are what you think they are then why aren't you doing it?

This board belongs to all of its members and you have as much responsibility for maintaining its integrity as anyone else. If you know something that the moderators don't then do something about it... other than whinging.
Can you suggest a way that I could provide evidence? This is an Internet forum. I've not met one Nicks member in the 8 years I've been a member.

While I understand the mods have a hard job, I was just expressing frustration I was feeling. Quoting membership numbers is only one consideration. It's the continual negative posters ( and I concede there's only 4 or 5) that post continually and to my mind they are drowning out the rest of the posters and hijacking thread after thread.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
David

Post by David »

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Nice post David.

I doubt if I could last very long posting in disguise, after a couple of drinks I'd forget which username I was logged in under and start reverting to type.

And I generally try to put a space between sentences or certainly paragraphs as I think it makes it easier to read. :?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Joel

Post by Joel »

Great post David.