Jackson Paine: On the Move?

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

RudeBoy wrote:
rand corp wrote:Some talk about of a straight swap between Paine and Karnezis but I'm not enthused by it, prefer to give Paine another year.

In his second year Paine was our leading goal kicker and was the fourth highest goal kicker in the VFL, was our highest ranked player for score assists in the VFL, was our equal highest taker of marks (107) and was fifth on our VFL list for total disposals as a key forward. That is not a bad effort anyway you look at it for a second year tall key forward.

Obviously, the kid still has plenty of development left in him, not sure if we could expect the same from Karnezis.
With Cloke, White, Reid, Witts, Lynch and maybe even Karnezis available as marking forwards for us in 2014, I can't see how Paine could possibly get a senior game.
THIS.

I too can't see how he can get in on merit based on last years VFL performance. Better suited elsewhere. And we need better options.
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

^Throw in the highly rated Darcy Moore in a season's time.

This thread needs to merge with the karnezis one in Draft and Trade
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
rand corp wrote:Some talk about of a straight swap between Paine and Karnezis but I'm not enthused by it, prefer to give Paine another year.

In his second year Paine was our leading goal kicker and was the fourth highest goal kicker in the VFL, was our highest ranked player for score assists in the VFL, was our equal highest taker of marks (107) and was fifth on our VFL list for total disposals as a key forward. That is not a bad effort anyway you look at it for a second year tall key forward.

Obviously, the kid still has plenty of development left in him, not sure if we could expect the same from Karnezis.
With Cloke, White, Reid, Witts, Lynch and maybe even Karnezis available as marking forwards for us in 2014, I can't see how Paine could possibly get a senior game.
THIS.

I too can't see how he can get in on merit based on last years VFL performance. Better suited elsewhere. And we need better options.
Paine is still a fantastic lead up mark and while erratic, he can kick goals. And remember his 2013 form was in spite of a shoulder (from memory) issue which he's had operated on since the season ended. Definitely needs to improve his aerobic capacity and his ground ball work but I'm not discounting his potential to step up. He reminds me a lot of Crameri and I'm sure we'd all like a player of that ilk roaming our forward 50.

I'm not however convinced on Karnezis. Is he a talent that hasn't blossomed at Brisbane because of homesickness or is he just inherently lazy? Can he take an opportunity at a Melbourne based club and realise the potential? Don't know!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

sounds like he is heading north.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Love those stats. It's just a pity I watched him play so often this year - else I would be excited. He's well short of the standard. That's not to say that he can't develop - he's only 20. But the fact that he couldn't crack the seniors even once this year, despite a dearth of functioning tall forwards, speaks volumes about how the Club saw his season.
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

jackcass wrote:

Definitely needs to improve his aerobic capacity and his ground ball work but I'm not discounting his potential to step up. He reminds me a lot of Crameri and I'm sure we'd all like a player of that ilk roaming our forward 50.!
Crameri really? Geez I must have been watching the wrong bloke at Vic Park in that case. Again, hope I'm wrong but the boy isn't going to get a game ahead of White or Keeffe or even Lynch.
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

In fairness Crameri didn't even make his AFL debut until he was 22 back in 2010 whilst Paine doesn't turn 21 until June next year.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

Unfortunately, the lad is as good as the (speculative) pick 50 he was. Let him go to greener pastures, even if we get nothing in return.

To win a premiership we need (by my reckoning) 15 players worthy of first round draft picks, plus 15 worthy of second round.

Jackson just doesn't fit the bill
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

AFL Trade Tracker wrote:The only player likely to join the club is Collingwood's Jackson Paine, who could be traded in exchange for Pat Karnezis.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
AFL Trade Tracker wrote:The only player likely to join the club is Collingwood's Jackson Paine, who could be traded in exchange for Pat Karnezis.
I'd take that swap. Paine has potential but isn't tall enough for the way he plays to be a big impact at AFL level imo. The other bloke offers more versatility.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

According to daughter no. 2, SEN news had his manager saying Paine is quite distraught at going to QLD. Comes from a close supportive family.

Mind you, this could be an IQ balance:

What with Heater going to GWS our footy club's collective IQ would have been far too high :wink:

Paine I think was applying to or was going studying law. THis also affects his uni studies (assuming he was studying). On an individual level, the horse trading must be a huge shock & in some cases could be very disruptive / traumatic.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
TheGaffer

Post by TheGaffer »

watt price tully wrote:According to daughter no. 2, SEN news had his manager saying Paine is quite distraught at going to QLD. Comes from a close supportive family.

Mind you, this could be an IQ balance:

What with Heater going to GWS our footy club's collective IQ would have been far too high :wink:

Paine I think was applying to or was going studying law. THis also affects his uni studies (assuming he was studying). On an individual level, the horse trading must be a huge shock & in some cases could be very disruptive / traumatic.
On SEN this morning, Paul Connors (his manager) had said to him last week it was a 2% chance of him going and he was distraught and now its a 2% chance he won't be going. Paine knows he is 3-4 in the pecking order for a tall forward now that Jesse White is with the club. Therefore a move to Brisbane might be the best for his career as they need some talls forwards there. Connors expects a straight swap with Pat Karnezis.
Sherwood Pie

Post by Sherwood Pie »

Just heard from someone within the Lions' camp that this is a done deal and will be announced today - straight swap of Paine for Karnezis.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

swoop42 wrote:In fairness Crameri didn't even make his AFL debut until he was 22 back in 2010 whilst Paine doesn't turn 21 until June next year.
Exactly!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:In fairness Crameri didn't even make his AFL debut until he was 22 back in 2010 whilst Paine doesn't turn 21 until June next year.
Exactly!
However I see Karnezis with a much better chance of getting a senior game in his position than Payne would due to the great depth now. :roll: I think Payne has a truck load of potential but at present is way down the pecking order so he might as well go to a club where he has a very realistic chance of playing regular seniors Daz....