Good Books read!

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

Who's it about?

I've lost count of how many books I've read this year, averaging about 1 a week. Finished off all the Matthew Reilly Jack West series, again, back over a few of his others, read Matt Preston's memoir (quite liked it), now I'm going through Luc Longley's account of his first championship with the Bulls.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/532 ... n-on-earth
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Cheers, I'll look into it. I'm picking up autobiographies from op shops lately. Knocked over Luc Longley's account of his first championship with the Bulls, and yesterday picked up Dennis Lillee's autobiography from an op shop in Toc. Half way through it, very good read.

When I run out, I've got Steven Hawkins "A brief history of time" to go back to.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Prometheus
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Prometheus »

This is a great read:

438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea
by Jonathan Franklin

Based on the TRUE story:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... ok-extract
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Currently working my way back through Wilbur Smith's ancient Egypt series. Haven't read them for years, IIRC he started losing the plot somewhere around the book I'm currently on, see how it goes.

I also picked up Kokoda by Peter Fitsimons, not a bloke I'm enamoured of but something I wanted to read about. We commemorate ANZAC day when a bunch of guileless kids got sent to their deaths by clueless Pommy generals, we don't celebrate the work the Aussies did in Tobruk enough, but Kokoda really put the Aussie spirit on show. This wasn't a battle for a hill in Europe, this was to meet and stop the Japanese advancing to Australia. Some serious efforts happening there.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Re: Good Books read!

Post by stui magpie »

I just finished another book by the bandannad boofhead, Peter Fitsimmons, Ned Kelly.

Bloody good read. I've read a fair bit about Ned over the years, there's a family connection (to a small degree ) but this book is very good. Extremely well researched and well written. If you're interested in the subject, well worth a read. Ned was a hell of a man, well deserving of his Folk Hero status IMHO.

Just started reading a book called Soldier Boy, a story about the youngest ANZAC. A boy named Jim Martin, born and raised in Tocumwal before the family moved to Melbourne when he was 5 or 6. There's a plaque on the wall of the building his parents used to run a boarding house in. Joined the army at 14 (lied about his age) died in Gallipoli before his 15th birthday from Typhoid.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Good Books read!

Post by Culprit »

Read the Jack Reacher Novel - The Secret Flying to Canada and it was a great read and one of the best of the Jack Reacher series. Yes, I have read them all.