Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

RudeBoy wrote:Dunstall is a flog.
This. The only useful part of the exchange was Buckley going feral at Dunstall about Duckwood, which was entirely accurate and something that someone who wasn't a flog might have anticipated.
E

Post by E »

and isn't it amazing that in Selwood's 300 plus game career, i cant remember Dunstall ever once raising this issue.....

in a 15 year career, the rules were not changed to outlaw Selwood's behavior! And yet

1. Steve McKee's standing in the center square and blocking the oncoming ruckman was outlawed as soon as Collingwood recruited him.

2. Mick Gayfer was rule changed out of the game

3. Our interchange revolution was immediately stopped with interchange limits.

Nearly everything we do to gain an advantage and revolutionize the game is outlawed. No reason to think that this will be any different.

by the way, being slippery and hard to tackle is a skill. if opponents need to be careful in tackling him that gives him the ability to break those tackles. the technique is as old as time. the opponents will adjust and Ginnivin wont get frees anymore but he will still be just that little more dangerous than if he didn't do it.

Incidentally, with his low centre of gravity, Peter Daicos used to do it to slip tackles. He just had so many tricks up his sleeve people dont really associate him with it. So did most of the bombers from the 80s!!!!

David, i disagree with tou.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Last edited by Pies2016 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Pies2016 wrote:Then how do you interpret virtually every player who has attempted to milk a 50 metre penalty ? Surely that’s unsportsmanlike also and in terms of distance gained, that’s the same outcome as a free kick ( that’s not to advantage )
I accept that drawing 50 metre penalties isn’t a potential injury issue but surely milking 50 metre penalties act also sits in the unsportsmanlike basket.
Absolutely! I've always hated soft 50 metre penalties, and wish that the new interpretation, in particular, had never been implemented.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Personally I’m just happy we’re getting free kicks in our forward line. ;)
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Fair enough David. I did edit slightly but the gist remains the same.
Cheers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Got a bit of Akermanis about him, but less of the dh and more the his-own-person personality. Feeling very Brisbane 2000 era ;)
aus50ford
Been liked: 2 times

Post by aus50ford »

E wrote:by the way, being slippery and hard to tackle is a skill. if opponents need to be careful in tackling him that gives him the ability to break those tackles. the technique is as old as time. the opponents will adjust and Ginnivin wont get frees anymore but he will still be just that little more dangerous than if he didn't do it.
Speaking of being slippery, what about Geelong oiling down players at the start of the game
I don't have a snappy catch phrase
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

I didn’t see the game on Saturday because I had to attend a family function that afternoon,but I did catch a replay of the game on Sunday.I thought Dunstall’s commentary was biased from start to finish.He was always fretting about what Adelaide’s was doing wrong,complaining about them not taking their chances etc.He also queried just about every feee kick we got,but he. didn’t question any of the free kicks Adelaide got.Funny about that.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

At least Bucks Stands up for the Club and does not let the Usual Collingwood Bagging from Commentators every game we play
I am Da Man
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

E wrote:and isn't it amazing that in Selwood's 300 plus game career, i cant remember Dunstall ever once raising this issue.....

in a 15 year career, the rules were not changed to outlaw Selwood's behavior! And yet

1. Steve McKee's standing in the center square and blocking the oncoming ruckman was outlawed as soon as Collingwood recruited him.

2. Mick Gayfer was rule changed out of the game

3. Our interchange revolution was immediately stopped with interchange limits.

Nearly everything we do to gain an advantage and revolutionize the game is outlawed. No reason to think that this will be any different.

by the way, being slippery and hard to tackle is a skill. if opponents need to be careful in tackling him that gives him the ability to break those tackles. the technique is as old as time. the opponents will adjust and Ginnivin wont get frees anymore but he will still be just that little more dangerous than if he didn't do it.

Incidentally, with his low centre of gravity, Peter Daicos used to do it to slip tackles. He just had so many tricks up his sleeve people dont really associate him with it. So did most of the bombers from the 80s!!!!

David, i disagree with tou.
More Proof the AFL hate Collingwood
I am Da Man
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

doriswilgus wrote:I didn’t see the game on Saturday because I had to attend a family function that afternoon,but I did catch a replay of the game on Sunday.I thought Dunstall’s commentary was biased from start to finish.He was always fretting about what Adelaide’s was doing wrong,complaining about them not taking their chances etc.He also queried just about every feee kick we got,but he. didn’t question any of the free kicks Adelaide got.Funny about that.
As Usual when you watch a Pies Game on TV that the Commentators sound like they are from the Opposition Cheersquad
I am Da Man
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Matthews also played the majority of his games as a rover, changing forward pocket, similar to Daics who started mid and unlike Betts and Milne who were pure small forwards.

Interesting that we consider Daics a small forward at 184cm, when the other midfielder (wing) turned forward, Garry Ablett Snr was 185cm.

Regardless, I like Ginnivan. I hate the new haircut but I'll get over it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
VicParkTragic
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by VicParkTragic »

inxs88 wrote:
VicParkTragic wrote:You forgot to mention that both have two arms, two legs and a spleen.
I’m excited the the spleen in particular.
Thanks for engaging in a mature discussion
No worries!
Living in Geelong, barracking for the 'pies!