Russian invasion of Ukraine

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

The more Putin craps on about history the more you know this is about the utter irrelevance of his Russia. Is it just me who has lost patience with this clown and his nineteenth-century strong man pantomime?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

SOB. Not just damaging Ukraine and risking wider implications, but also hitting his own economy through what will likely be swift and potent sanctions. The EU, UK and US are rarely this united on anything. Are we missing something here?
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Whatever Putin's motivation is, you can guarantee it's not what he's saying publicly.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Maybe, but he's also not mincing words. This was particularly chilling (from the Guardian story above):
Vladimir Putin wrote:Modern Ukraine was wholly and fully created by Bolshevik, communist Russia […] You want decommunisation? That suits us fine. But don’t stop halfway. We’re ready to show Ukraine what real decommunisation means for it.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

^What a pitiful, imperialistic wankfest it was. A bloke who built a backward, authoritarian fossil fuels economy reckons it's the world that's holding him back :roll:
David

Post by David »

doriswilgus wrote:I think the thread title Potential conflict between Russia and Ukraine is a bit misleading.It should be more like potential Russian invasion of Ukraine.I don’t think the Ukrainians have done anything to provoke Russia(or more to the point,Putin)into invading their country.I don’t see what else they could have done to prevent this potential invasion.
I think that's a fair summary, but it would also be misleading to assume that Russia will just roll the tanks in and have their way without hindrance, Prague Spring style. Defensive wars are usually easier to fight, even when there's a significant mismatch between militaries (just ask the US in Vietnam and Iraq), and Ukraine has promised to fight back if Russia steps out of the separatist-held areas in Donetsk and Lugansk. So I think this will be a very ugly and violent conflict if that transpires, and I don't think it'll be over quickly.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

The good news is that any invasion forces probably won't have to wear masks outdoors, now there's widespread vaccination.

Post by #26 »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:The good news is that any invasion forces probably won't have to wear masks outdoors, now there's widespread vaccination.
Not to mention that masks have been clinically proven to be completely ineffective against bullets.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

I feel like some of the masks in Mad Max might do the job!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

You've seen Mad Max?
David

Post by David »

Shh, nobody is supposed to know the answer to that. ;)
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:I feel like some of the masks in Mad Max might do the job!
maybe we need the mask and trolley used on Hannibal Lecter for Putin. :wink:
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »