Home Solar Panels/batteries.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Agree with the sentiment. Since I have had mine on since August last year I am $300 in credit. A co-worker has batteries and he's able to maintain power for his household of 6 at night and even in the worst weather and shortest days in winter able to recharge. A household of two I am now investigating the battery cost with Government assistance.

I heard someone from AUSNET say the issue is so much renewable power coming into the grid they can't store it and my thinking is if it's a hot day it should be going straight back out to non-solar customers and they are then making a fortune on the mark-up. My logic might be wrong though.

The main issue with renewables is we had Governments ignore what was coming as it wasn't in their lobby-groups interest to push renewables as they love coal. Now the overwhelming take-up is causing an issue and they are playing catch up.

I was at a conference and I heard about "Decarbonisation". This is a UGL Statement. https://www.ugllimited.com/news/2024/ug ... bonisation They have secured major contracts to decarbonise retired oil platforms and power stations as examples.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

So I checked my last bill having changed the feed in arrangements.

For a month, basically 540kw in from the solar for $70 credit, 270kw from the grid for a cost of $100. So net $30 bill plus the fkn $40 supply charge.

I'm gonna start looking at different suppliers. Earlier today the Solar was fulling powering the house, now with 2 Air Con's going, even with the sun beating down, It's costing me $0.10 per hour.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

What are you getting? I am on 12 cents with Origin. Seemed to be the best deal at the time. Plus linked with Woolworths I used the app for the first time today and get 12 cents a litre off. 4 + 4 + 4. Saved a bit filling up. I also switched to a variable plan which is not locked in. I can change anytime and they advise me of price increases.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I get 15c up to x no of KW per day, then 5c after that, that's with AGL and that's the best they offer.

I pay from the grid 49c per kwh between 3 and 9pm and 28c the rest of the time.

I think I'm being sodomised.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

I am getting 41 Cents and 26 Cents. We all are, it's called Privatisation.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

No idea what were on now, as Mums concession she’s put the bills in her name, but I was on the Woolies one with Origin at my last place. Now I seem to never get my bonus when shopping without those extra points and Woolies no longer being my local supermarket.

But the supply charge is a killer, my last monthly bill was only $25 cheaper despite me not being there for 3/4 weeks…

Keep forgetting to check the solar feed in tariff and if it’s actually making any difference.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

The supply charge is a rort.
Skids
Has liked: 24 times

Post by Skids »

What did Victorians use before candles?

.... electricity. :)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Going to a Vanadium Flow Battery. https://www.australianvanadium.com.au/v ... batteries/
10Kw, installed at $11200.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Culprit wrote:The supply charge is a rort.
Absolutely, got my gas bill today and thankfully I definitely do not have any gas leak, used 0 gas for the last 2 months, amazing that, no heating needed in summer…

So just the ridiculous supply charge to pay for 2 months of zero usage!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

The feed-in tariff is set to be cut once again due to the uptake of solar. The private electricity companies say too much power is going in. More like we have to pay households for what we sell at an unbelievable markup and we want more of a markup as we are struggling financially.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yeah, I read about that. Fvckers. :evil:

Most of my summer time bill is the service charge and the night time with fridges and freezers going and other electrical appliances on standbuy. I'm not going to start going around and turning off everything except Fridges at the powerpoint.

Maybe the electricity mobs should figure out a way to store all the solar energy they get for F all during the day which they should then re-sell for less in the evenings. But then, they're just resellers, not infrastructure and it would re4duce their profits. :roll:
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

They reckon that this won't put people off solar. Of course it will as you will still pay. I went for solar as a cost-effective option so in summer I will get credit and winter will offset that credit. It's a plan to make solar less attractive.

Privatisation of Utilities is all about screwing the user and maximizing profits.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

What brand panels / inverter have people had installed?

Re: battery - seems like it's not close to financially viable. A heat pump HWS that heats the water using excess solar (rather than sticking it back to the grid) seems much more sensible.

Converting electrical energy to heat energy. So it's basically a battery at a 1/4 or 1/5th of the price.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I got 16x415W Suntech Power Unltra V mini and a Sungrow inverter.

The panels are arrayed in 3 different banks, 1 on each of the east and west facing sloping roof and a bank on the flat roof at the back facing north. The group facing North get sun most of the day, as the group facing east go into shade the ones facing west kick in.