Post Match. Pies blitz Bombers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

I feel three players who should return to the side will improve it

Moore McCreery NDaicos
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

WHE a.k.a. as 'The Ghost' had 20 disposals (17 kicks and 3 handballs) and 417 meters gained, near double on his season average, and 10 marks.
I viewed it as one of his best games this season. Provided some vital link running.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

BazBoy wrote:I feel three players who should return to the side will improve it

Moore McCreery NDaicos
Geez Baz, you've really gone out on a limb there...
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Just a thought sir
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Did anyone notice Crispys right foot last night?! Several times he got pushed out onto his right and really hit some targets, as opposed to pivoting and trying to get back on his preferred side.

From my amatuer viewpoint it's been the primary factor on him not being able to secure more mid-field time, given he was weighted to one side and easier to defend against.

He's moved well over the past few weeks, and while more even-paced than explosive, that back to back Copeland form appears to be coming back at the right time of year.
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

McStay will play because he offers more than what’s recorded on a stats table. He brings leadership, smarts and experience to a forward line that is limited in those areas. He’s a workhorse who makes life easier for Miochek.
He’s also averaging close to two goals a game since he came back, so they won’t be leaving those qualities and contributions out of the team.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

LaurieHolden wrote:Did anyone notice Crispys right foot last night?! Several times he got pushed out onto his right and really hit some targets, as opposed to pivoting and trying to get back on his preferred side.

From my amatuer viewpoint it's been the primary factor on him not being able to secure more mid-field time, given he was weighted to one side and easier to defend against.

He's moved well over the past few weeks, and while more even-paced than explosive, that back to back Copeland form appears to be coming back at the right time of year.
Crisp has had a much quieter season compared to his Copeland winning 2022.
He is a pivotal player who I think is the midfield barometer with his running ability.
If Crisp has a big September we will go all the way!!
- Side By Side -
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Caroline Wilson said we were lucky in 2022 and would finish 10th this year.

I'm assuming she has published a retraction this morning....????

Or were we just extraordinarily 'lucky' in 2023...

Congrats to all at the Club.

Let the 'real season' begin...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Essendon was already at the Airport heading away for their end-of-season trip, the cue was well and truly in the rack. We simply had to dominate early and we did and it was all over by qtr time.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies2016 wrote:McStay will play because he offers more than what’s recorded on a stats table. He brings leadership, smarts and experience to a forward line that is limited in those areas. He’s a workhorse who makes life easier for Miochek.
He’s also averaging close to two goals a game since he came back, so they won’t be leaving those qualities and contributions out of the team.
McStay will no doubt probably retain his spot.....but he shouldn't imo. Our team performed at its best in the first half of the season, when McStay was unavailable. If we lost Checkers, Cameron or Cox to injury, then McStay would come straight in. Now that we are sticking with both Cox and Cameron, my view is we would be too top heavy up front to retain McStay as well. I'd rather play Checkers and a resting ruck as our tall forwards, alongside a fleet of fast smalls in Elliott, Hill, McReery and Ginni. Remember, Elliott is effectively a marking forward too. We need to blitz our opponents in the finals with pace, pace and more pace.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

I am thinking the likes of Frampton and Cameron and even Lipinski needs to lift.

I feel they need to rest up.

Some how like to see mcStay play down back.

With Cox the main ruck.

We do somehow if they play well and are uninjured we do have Ash Johnson and Kruger up our sleeve as a tall forward.

I am not sold on McStay as our main target up forward.

I feel he is more of good foil for Checkers if anything.

Frampton looks a bit slow needs to pick up the pace.

Moore,Murphy,McCreery straight back in and a real bonus if we can get Nick back in the nick of time for the qf as well. Fly is not ruling Nick out either.

Last night was more or less a training drill and a match sim be it in front of 75k at the mcg.

Kind of getting back the swoop squad again.

Like to gather some pace come the qf.

I will hoping to make it the vfl tomorrow to see some players pushing for selection.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

LaurieHolden wrote:WHE a.k.a. as 'The Ghost' had 20 disposals (17 kicks and 3 handballs) and 417 meters gained, near double on his season average, and 10 marks.
I viewed it as one of his best games this season. Provided some vital link running.
Played a similar role to that of Mason Wood at the Saints. Had 3 score involvements but also got back to help out back by taking marks deep and also spoiling.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

McStay never was meant to be our main target (like a Cameron or Curnow)

He takes a back man freeing up Checkers to a degree

He does the bullocking hard work in fwd 50 and if he goes at it OK ball spill to our smalls

The more to the point is he (a) filling that role well -or (b) not
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

It is a choice between McStay or Cox and it looks like Mason is preferred.

The other one is Nick Daicos - who comes out for him? It has been Markov but I think he is in now, so maybe Lipinski?
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Big Mas clunked a couple of marks towards end of game when the talls don’t get any shorter (words of Jack Dyer)
I feel the big guy has to work on his positioning in the pack. More towards the front be nice

I’ve seen him do this & completely cut out any opposition. Revisit it Mas