Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by piffdog »

^ thankful we found Checkers. Loves 'repeated physical contact'...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

With the likely departures of Richards and Noble, we’re already on our way to a much improved and flexible draft hand during the trade period. I had posted previously, the best way to minimise any losses while still improving our own trade capital, was to facilitate two or three “ fringe “ player trades.
I would also keep an eye on McInnes future, only because he isn’t contracted after 2024 … yet.
Working on a scenario that includes either one of McInnes OR MacRae moving on ( examples only ) along with Noble and Richards, would then see a draft hand of something close to 2 x late second rounders and 4 x early third rounders.
Go into the last few days of the trade period with a draft hand like that and the options become limitless. That’s also not including the possibility of trading out our future first rounder either.
It’s all about creativity and being proactive. You also need to get those deals done quickly, so as to move on to whatever you see coming back into the club.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

SLORT wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:44 am
lazzadesilva wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:41 am ^^^^

Is he a risk worth taking?
Only if you're in to purses...
So not worth ‘purse’suing …..😛 😝
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies2016 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:29 pm I had posted previously, the best way to minimise any losses while still improving our own trade capital, was to facilitate two or three “ fringe “ player trades.
Would you consider Frampton as a fringe player?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

lazzadesilva wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:37 pmWould you consider Frampton as a fringe player?
He’s was more than a fringe player in 2024 but mainly because we had a deficiency in that area of the ground. If we’re going to get better, he needs to become a fringe or depth player only in 2025.
The other issue with Frampton is, that at 28 later this year, having already been at three clubs and having very little upside, he’s not likely to be of interest to a fourth club. I’m happy to have him on our list in ‘25 but would be even happier if we didn’t have a need to play him in the seniors every week.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

^
I think Framps is a tease. Some days he's like Hulk Hogan. Other days he looks like he's Rainman.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

There are only two ways to draft a gun KPF either F/S which is a difficult lottery of genetics and desire to play football or go bottom of the ladder in a year with capable KPFs available
Remember you are not getting a Franklin with pick 17
To trade in a KPF costs two to three early first round picks plus a pile of cash
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Oh to be able to fast-track a Rocca or two...
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

neil wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:50 pm There are only two ways to draft a gun KPF either F/S which is a difficult lottery of genetics and desire to play football or go bottom of the ladder in a year with capable KPFs available
Remember you are not getting a Franklin with pick 17
To trade in a KPF costs two to three early first round picks plus a pile of cash

You can get lucky in the draft, eg Larkey and Mitchell-Lewis.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

LaurieHolden wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:00 am
The Black and White Lion wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:45 am our history of drafting young talls in the main draft and developing them is atrocious.
We choose to trade out of strong positions and then lament that we can’t find a KPF.
Atrocious? We haven't had a top 10 draft pick for a decade. When we did, we needed to trade our 1st rounder to get to Treloar in 2016 and took Stephenson @ #6 then bundle picks to get to pick #4 for Naicos. Which of those were you handing back at the time?
We've drafted a stack of young KPPs in the main draft, rookie and mid season draft with limited success. Going back to 2008 the KPP hit list includes Thoolen, Casey-Leigh, Carter, Reilly, Gordon, Paine, Gault, Hartley, Frost, Richmond, Marsh, McLarty, McCarthy, Schade, Lynch, Madgen, Wilson, Kelly, McMahon, Begg. Ash Johnson could join them soon. I don't think any of the list above have been top 10.

We've had to seek even more alternate means to bring in KPP through FA, trades and rookies and SSP because the KPP hit list has turned into a miss list within 2 to 3 years and sometimes only 1. Will Kelly got the longest run out of that lot for whatever reason but none of them ever hit any heights (except Henry Schade's 1 good game against Franklin when Franklin was injured and the opposition hadn't yet worked out Schade had no centre of gravity and you just had to look at him to knock him off balance).

LH I would love to have a gun KPF and there's a plethora of them in this years draft but I'm not expecting we will be in a position to draft one and we'll continue down the path of seeking alternate means to bring one.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:46 pmYou can get lucky in the draft, eg Larkey and Mitchell-Lewis.
Tex Walker, Ben Brown, Josh Treacy ( rookie )

Sometimes I think a good strategy is to just continually invest in a speculative KPP with your last pick in the N D. The investment is minimal but the reward has the potential to be huge. Having said that, you don’t want to end up with a list full of 6’6” spuds who can’t get a kick at VFL level either.
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by K »

neil wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:50 pm There are only two ways to draft a gun KPF either F/S which is a difficult lottery of genetics and desire to play football or go bottom of the ladder in a year with capable KPFs available
Well, the **** will really hit the fan in a couple of decades if Treloar & partner have a gun KPF son. (Could happen. Netballers are tall!) Ads played 94 games for the Pies, before becoming a victim of pres. Eddie's unprofessional and unhinged interference in footy matters.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

stui magpie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:46 pm You can get lucky in the draft, eg Larkey and Mitchell-Lewis.
You can get lucky but the odds are against it
You named two in a couple of decades of recruiting
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

If we end up trading Noble Richard’s and McInnes or Macrae then as pies2016 said our draft hand all of a sudden improves
Brisbane need points so we might be able to find a deal there (2x seconds and a third) for pick 14
We then go to draft pick 14 and a pick in the 20’s and 2x3rd rounders
That would land us something for sure
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
That’s one option but there’s probably an even simpler solution to climbing the draft ladder.
Work with the Suns on the Noble trade, given they have 6, 13, 20, and 26.
Rioli will likely take up all the conversations with their pick six, so let’s exclude that for now. The Suns also require points for the highly regarded Leo Lombard ( NGA )
My starting point would be we want your pick 13 and you want Johnny Noble. What additional later picks do you want from Collingwood in order for us to do a swap for # 13. I also wouldn’t be surprised if our future picks came into the conversation because they have so many picks in this draft.
Pick 13 in this draft is rolled gold, so it might be something like Noble plus our current second rounder ( which is Hawks pick and if they keep winning, that loses some of its appeal ) Suns get Noble and acquire close to enough points left over for Lombard as their free hit. In return, the Pies get a seat at the table on the opening night of the draft anongst a quality field of U18 talent.
Failing that, then you just restart conversations with their pick 20. Then it might be Noble and one of our two third rounders for that selection.

There’s no one easier to deal with than the Suns. They always have more picks than they need and they tend to accept paying overs for any mature age player who wants to join them. They’re desperate for mature age players because their list is so young. I simply don’t see us losing from this deal. Having said that, what we then go on to do with that pick is another conversation entirely.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.