Our Captain - down on form?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

We have a serious problem with the form of our captain. No impact in the air no impact as a defender, gets caught out of position. Only 5 kicks and 2 marks tonight.

Yes I understand the loss of Murphy has hurt but we are 16 rounds in now, so we have had enough time to adjust.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He definitely is out of form. He doesn't seem to be carrying an injury, but certainly is not playing with any confidence or purpose. He's the captain ffs, he needs to lift big time.....and quickly.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

He should never be allowed to kick out ever after an opposition point
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

masoncox wrote:He should never be allowed to kick out ever after an opposition point
After an opposition point is the only time anyone is allowed to kick out. :wink:
Johnno75

Post by Johnno75 »

Lately that’s the only way he gets a kick.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We’re down a key defender whose name is Nathan Murphy. Can’t say enough how big a hole he’s left.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Yes, a very valid point. I felt yesterday and once again, Frampton showed his limitations as a dependable full back. I’m trying not to knife him and he’s forever a Collingwood premiership player but his lack of speed, mobility and ball handling surety makes him very suspect when the opposition apply pressure around him. He’s one of those players when you see him named in the VFL, you would at least know your seniors are a very strong team. He’s been a great pick up for what he cost us but we need to bed down the full back position with a better player if we’re going keep challenging for the next few years.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Frampton was poor last night but Moore was worse. Our captain might have to start rucking down back to touch the ball
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Johnno75

Post by Johnno75 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:We’re down a key defender whose name is Nathan Murphy. Can’t say enough how big a hole he’s left.
I mentioned that above but we are 16 rounds in now so we need to adjust and can’t keep using this as an excuse. Maybe Charlie Dean comes in to help relieve this.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I agree if he wasn't captain he would have been dropped by now. Fly wouldn't be happy with him either. Surely it is odds on now that Nick will be captain next year as Darcy provides no leadership. He he over the hill? Perhaps because athleticism is important to him and if he has lost his speed and jump, he will struggle like other great athletes before him on the field. It is a worry that your leader would have the worst disposal efficiency in the team. Not everyone can be talented like Nick though.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

time to drop Moore for 2 matches.
Needs time to sort himself out now.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Kane Cornes has had his say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXpL6Evcmls
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

In 2008 Matthew Richardson played primarily on the wing. He finished equal third in the brownlow with 22 votes. I'm wondering if this the sort of thinking we should apply to Moore? He's mobile, great intercept marker, long kick, and being up on wing or half forward flanks would allow him to use his strengths. He's obviously not a full forward and he's never been a lock-down defender. At least free him up to help him get some confidence back.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I think there’s more than one reason our defence is looking so shaky

Firstly while Murphy wasn’t the first guy picked each week he was a vital cog in the wheel. He did a lot of the dirty work and cleaned up messes. Moore is an offensive defender. He attacks this opponent by leaving him backing himself to impact the contest further up the field. Murphy stayed home and often covered that man as well as his own. Structurally his loss is massive.

Secondly as hard as Noble tries he has too many errors in his game. He’s a ball watcher when the ball is close to goal. He losses track of his man to often. He overplays his hand when he has the ball as well trying to pick off miracle plays. There was a reason he was dropped last season and the loss of Murphy opened up a spot for him. (You can also add in IQ’s form being down on last year)

Thirdly Frampton isn’t a natural defender. He has limitations and speed is one. He plays better on the stay at home forward like Hawkins than a mobile type. He’s not athletic enough for the modern day athletic forward.

Forth Dean has progressed but not as quickly as needed. This kid I believe will make it but he missed so much football over the past couple years his development was hindered. He has looked better with each outing and I think on the weekend he was rested as his young and hasn’t played loads of back to back to back games.

Fifth our upfield pressure has been patchy at best. When your midfield is getting carved up and entries are coming think and fast sooner or later they hit the scoreboard. Our pressure rating swings dramatically quarter to quarter. If you listen to Fly’s presser he basically is asking this same question why can’t we do the high pressure during quarters 1-2-3 like we seem to do in the last.

Lastly we using stop gap defenders who aren’t trained in our system obviously. We’ve used Sidey and Pendles and WHE far too often to be honest trying to find an answer. We need to get our back 6 set and stick to it.

For mine our best back 6 looks like
Moore IQ Howe Dean Maynard Frampton
Frampton plays deepest Moore on most athletic Maynard on mid sized IQ on smallest quickest Dean on mid sized and Howe to be free to be able to use his experience to leave his man and impact contest as he sees
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Moore is an elite player and an excellent Captain- period.

The amount of 'inside-50' ball in the last two games would have tested The Prince of Full Backs, Jack Regan.

Whilst it is true that Murphy is sorely missed and that Moore is somewhat down on form he does not need to be dropped from the team.

It will be interesting to observe how well (or otherwise) we go at clearances against Essendon this Friday evening. They slaughtered us in there on ANZAC Day and we still got away with a draw.

Peversely, the return of a player like Schultz this week will assist Moore and the other lads down back. Authentic Collingwood forward pressure means that transition from our forward line by opposition will be haphazard at best.

No doubt this week that Moore, a proud Collingwood man, would be stung by Saturday's loss to the AFL franchise team.

I believe that we will see him star again very soon

Floreat Pica
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...