Post Match. Pies win it for Pendles. All details.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Post Match. Pies win it for Pendles. All details.

Post by Haff »

^agree. I don’t think the cliff comes next season.
One or two of the 30+’s will retire (FWIW I think Howe and Cox) and we’ll have to get the kids through but Mitchell and McStay will be like a new recruits. JDG and Checkers unhampered. We’ll be ok.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

skaman wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:35 pm 5 goal better team on the night. Blues arsey as usual and got a super ride from the Scumps
Actually thought we got the rub of the umps. Did you see Frampton throw it through for a behind? Blues kicked themselves out of it in the first q also. They probably should have had a 3 goal lead at q time.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

For the middle of the game looked like the pies of last year and it was fun to watch. Same old fade out in the last q though. Same as Freo game, doggies game, geelong game, although this time I think it was game style rather than fatigue.

My take on deGoey is he wanted to play because of the milestone, and given his interrupted couple months this was always a risk. I don’t think him going off was the difference given he played most of the game forward.

Forward line looked much better with cox and McStay even though the latter was very quiet. I felt it bought mcreery, hill and Elliott into the game which made us more potent.

Lipinski looked like a genuine c grader when he came on (maybe he is??) and Bytel played a role
but hopefully he can get squeezed out of any ongoing selection soon.

Loved Hosko and Cameron’s games. Both unheralded.

I didn’t tip us so a pleasant surprise. Fascinating to see how we shape up next week given the Swans woes. Some risk we win every game on the way home and still miss finals. Need to run that ladder predictor again and see which other teams I need to be rooting for.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Haff wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:04 am ^agree. I don’t think the cliff comes next season.
One or two of the 30+’s will retire (FWIW I think Howe and Cox) and we’ll have to get the kids through but Mitchell and McStay will be like a new recruits. JDG and Checkers unhampered. We’ll be ok.

Agreed, correct weight. I also think Shultz will be much better next season, it always takes a year for a new player via a trade to settle in to his new team, game style, etc, look at McStay took him awhile to settle in.Yeh few retirements, maybe get Bailey Smith, kids like Harrison, Richards, DeMattia, Jith , Long, etc coming on, and a far less injury riddled season, no longer the hunted, better fixture, I can see no cliff at all, thats just horseshit, wont happen.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

The loss of JDG cost us dearly in the last quarter, where we went into our shell, but otherwise we outplayed Carlton for 3/4 of the game. McCreery and Cox's return made a big difference. However, looking at the ladder, after other results, I fear it may all come to naught. Given our poor percentage, we are effectively 2 games out of the 8 with only 3 games to go. However, putting thoughts of finals aside, it's a great feeling knowing we have knocked Carlton out of the top 4.
Last edited by RudeBoy on Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

eddiesmith wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:48 am Great result, best game I’ve seen Cameron play and JDG was really making a difference up forward.

But concerned over Elliotts finishing at the death these days. That last point he should have picked it up and kicked the sealer instead of the low percentage option of a terrible kick off the ground.
Yeah I’d love to know what Jamie was thinking with that one.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I still maintain the hardest wins in footy are when you start the last quarter 4 - 5 goals up against quality opposition. The opposition automatically go into a “ plan B, nothing to lose from here “ mentality and the game has the potential to change in a matter of minutes. This happens in so many games of footy and last night was no different. It’s also so Collingwood. We simply don’t play for four quarters ( and to be fair, there is always an opposition trying to take that away from you anyway ) but once again the players did enough to get it done.
Couple observations. That was easily the best poor game I’ve seen from Frampton. He’s tough to watch as a defender, given his inability to handle the ball cleanly and lack of agility ( particularly when he’s forced towards the oppositions goal). Having said that and with a bit of help from others, he kept McKay to 1.1 and not many can say that this year. He’s one of those players, when he’s playing VFL, we’re probably a decent AFL outfit.
I’ve remained open minded on McCreery for a while now but I thought last night showed how important a low possession defensive forward can be when they bring their best defensive efforts . He was an important reason why the Blues had no continuity coming out of defence. He held them up repeatedly with some brilliant closing speed tackles and defensive acts.
If we make the eight from here, it’s a bonus but last night on its own, was a big game in the clubs history and the players all responded accordingly. Surely, as a supporter, you can’t ask for much more than that.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m so glad we won for Pendles
He deserved that milestone to be celebrated properly

As for the game we can count our lucky stars Carlton have so many mentally soft players
Some of the goals they missed before half time was staggering
Hey had 2 quarters where there pressure run at around 240+ (Q1 and Q4) we managed to hover around 175/180 all day which is barely average
McCreery made a difference with his pressure but it still way off wheat we need to produce to be at our best
We gambled yesterday on JDG to get a win it worked but he’s gone for the season now.
We could easily beat the Swans there really struggling in all areas but back at home after why they dished up yesterday I’m guessing they’ll want to respond
Our best chance is to follow the blue print of other teams just sit at Grundy’s feet and collect his taps and quickly swing it out with a handball and launch quick attacks inside there defensive 50 where they have issues.
Knowing our luck they’ll drop Grundy and play Lanhams and make us work much harder for a win.
I would love to see Demattia get a game this week.
Don’t care what his VFL form is I think we need to really look at a few kids over the next 3 weeks and see what they’ve got under some pressure

Out JDG Bytel Sidey
In Demattia Allan Harrison/Richards

Oh and before the apologiests start up you can’t drop Sidey think again you can and we should
What did he have yesterday 10/11 touches ? He had 3 ineffective tackles and only 3 effective disposals. Of the 45 players who played enough game time to qualify he ranked 41st ranked player on the ground
Remember it was his opponent who kicked the goal to put them within a kick of winning because he run off Sidey in traffic.
Watch the game again he spent most of his day pointing at others to man up while his opponents wandered in and out of there attacking 50 at will
Had Carlton had half a brain and lowered there eyes instead of bombing it on there talls heads the game may have looked way different

There’s a video on the Collingwood supporters page of them chairing Pendles off and as Pendles gets to Sidey to go up on his shoulders go watch it and listen to the exchange between Pendles and Sidey at the very beginning it’s very interesting
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Haff wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:04 am ^agree. I don’t think the cliff comes next season.
Cox has a contract for next year. I hope he doesn’t quit early. He provides so much to our structure and gives Darcy a chop out. Steene and Smits aren’t anywhere near ready from what I see and hear.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

We have beaten then twice if we don't make finals that's good enough for me and also, we dented there top 4 chances too.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^^^ the post re Weitering and McStay

This is a good post. Thought Weitering had little influence on the result tonight, that Naicos kick on McStays chest in the second was sublime and Dan surely nailed the 40m goal. It’s another step for Dan tonight on the comeback trail
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Second and third quarters they were no where near it. I love when we play like that. Tiny bit of luck and we are still in it.
Dispatches from a foreign land
stoliboy
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

Jezza wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:08 am I'll never get sick of it.

Just bumping this post :lol:
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

The paper says quaynor had 4 touches - can that be right? Over 80 per cent game time and the ball in their forward half 50 plus percent?
Big T
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Wonderful win. Kane cornes has no idea re his comments on Cox - our form return has corresponded with his return, he is so critical. Next year likely his last and we need to address that.

There is almost no chance of making the eight - I’d go the Swans like it’s our flag just to punish those pricks and then bring in the kids.
Buon Giorno