Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Re: Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:02 pm Parker NQR for AFL quite yet. Some clangers early, got beaten in some contests he should have killed. Yet, I like the way he plays, seems to be in good spots, seems to make good decisions, and seems to be a fluent playmaker. He is showing signs of big things to come.

I don't think Bytel was injured, and yet Parker got to play out the game spending a lot of time on the bench in the last (I think). The coaches also must think he has a lot of upside.

But gotta improve... not flatline. Time will tell.
Yeah I liked the upside Parker showed — that’s why they played him today, to see what he’s got. Made some clangers but gets himself in the right spot and reads the play well — we can work on what he didn’t do well over summer. I reckon he’ll get better.

Special mention to John Noble, he was terrific.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Fly's presser

How special was that win?
"That was a lot of fun. That was us sort of showing that we never give up. I got no idea what the future holds for us. We can only control what we want. The stories that we write, we write our own stories. Our fans [are] unbelievable, 61,000 here turn up today. Help drag us over the line again. That's a special win".
It's the belief in this group to continue getting up for these games.
"Yeah. Funnily, we worked all on our method this week as we do every week. Reinforced a couple of things that we really needed to do late in that game. It's hard to hold leads in the AFL right now. We've experienced that in the last couple of weeks and you just never feel safe in front at the moment. As a team, we're working through what that looks like for us. We chased today, and we chased well. It's hard to hold leads. I thought Brisbane were enormous, particularly early. Daniher a real threat. We tried to curtail Lachie Neale to some degree. I think Steele [Sidebottom] did a pretty good job. They're a hard team to beat, so that makes it more special if you like".
How proud are you of Lachie Schultz to step with those two clutch goals?
"I'm really proud of him. Really proud of him. He's worked so hard on his game. He does so many things that no one sees. We show it every week, when he's holding Max Gawn out of a marking contest so someone can come over and take a mark, or off the ball he's blocking for three others so they get a running shot at goal in the stoppage. He does so much for us others. It's just nice he got some reward today. He was clutch in the last quarter, absolutely clutch".
How pleased were you with the defensive efforts late in the game? Darcy Moore went to Joe Daniher, and Jeremy Howe had an excellent game.
"It's a collective. Good pressure game puts pressure down the field. We started intercepting and marking again which has been a little bit here and there all season. Last year we were one of the best intercept marking teams. Now you see Howie starting to mark the ball again and Darcy [Moore]. It's a collective. I thought we threw a few guys around different roles at times, which can be disruptive. Josh [Daicos] has been important going to half back. His brother can play a bit. Wow, I think I'll tell my grandkids I coached Nick Daicos. That's going to be one of the great stories when I'm older. What a player".
Have you seen any better individual quarter than the second quarter that Nick Daicos produced?
"Isaac Heeney last week was pretty special. That was pretty special. It's just nice to see someone impose himself on the game. We're all on the bench, not laughing, but just going, 'Wow!'. We're all in awe. You should see some of the stuff that Nick does at training. He did something the other day he kicked the ball somehow and I didn't know how he did it, and Brayden Maynard and I are sort of laughing and [going] 'wow'. We've got front row seats to the Nick Show, and he's a remarkable player".
It was a pretty good celebration from you when Nick Daicos kicked one of those goals?
"Yeah apparently I got told that. I'm invested. I care about our group very much. Got a lot of love and support for our players and it means a lot. You saw that last week, we were disappointed. I care. I wear my heart on my sleeve so it's nice to reward others or see others achieve".
That win keeps your season alive. You have to win next week and some other results need to go your way. How do you see it playing out?
"As I said to the players, I'm not into ladder predictor(s). We can't get voodoo dolls out for other teams. We can't do anything. What, go behind the goals and put people off as they're going for set shots? There's nothing we can do. We just sit here and control what we can. We're in this position because there's 23 rounds of us getting into this position. All the lessons learnt. All the bumps and bruises. All the players out and players in. Here and there. Umpiring decisions, non-umpiring decisions. We've all had that journey, every team has and here we are. This is our story and we can only control what we can do in six days time versus Melbourne. It's just really pleasing that regardless of what happens, we play with that fighting spirit. I'm sure our supporters tonight will go home really proud to be a Collingwood supporter".
How did you see the umpiring decisions today back at the MCG?
"They're just doing the best they can. I think I'll steer away from umpires this week. Laura [Kane], I'll leave that one for you".

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1198398/fu ... 3889214001
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

It’s been a season with bumps. Injury and some poor games —but !!!
As long as Fly coaches us what ever the situation we have that “ we aren’t out of this” attitude
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

RudeBoy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:42 pm ---The most amazing thing to me, however, was we beat the most in-form team in the comp with 3 absolute passengers, who are nowhere near up to AFL standard, in Long, Bytel and Parker...
I believe you're mistaken about Parker. Although he was outshone by some significant talent occasionally and has only played a few games, I'm confident that he possesses the necessary skills. I would even venture to say that he will become one of our top defenders in the next two years.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

Rude Boy. On Will Parker
Will b a future solid defender
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

So, exactly how many Brownlow Medals does a bloke have to win before he's good enough to get a kick against Sidebottom?
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Awesome win, thought that the maggots had gotten another interstate side over the line to spite Fly's comments about them at the G but we refused to give in. Schultz finally turned it around after another poor goal kicking display in the first 3 quarters. Noble did more good than bad for the first time in weeks. Sidey showing why he's going around again. Naicos was just unbelievable, his running goal evoked memories of mcguane
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:45 am
RudeBoy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:42 pm ---The most amazing thing to me, however, was we beat the most in-form team in the comp with 3 absolute passengers, who are nowhere near up to AFL standard, in Long, Bytel and Parker...
I believe you're mistaken about Parker. Although he was outshone by some significant talent occasionally and has only played a few games, I'm confident that he possesses the necessary skills. I would even venture to say that he will become one of our top defenders in the next two years.
Don't get me wrong. Of the 3 I mentioned, Parker is clearly the most talented, and may indeed have a good future with us. However, right now in 2024 he is not AFL ready imo. As much as I've been critical of him in the past, Finn Macrae is currently a much, much better player.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

For most of that 1st quarter we didn't look on. I see Pies players jogging, putting a token effort into chasing, and I think Uh Oh, we've checked out. Then a goal either side of 1/4 time and enter Nick Daicos. Wow.

After that I could just sit back and enjoy the show, confident we could get there. Bloody loved it.

Little shout out to WHE who did a job on Andrews. He's our Swiss Army Knife and badly under rated. He gets a job each week, sometimes different jobs in one game, forward, back or wing, and delivers.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:54 am So, exactly how many Brownlow Medals does a bloke have to win before he's good enough to get a kick against Sidebottom?

22 with 2 goals won’t get him 3 votes for sure
But 26 touches with only 6 effective disposals (including 4 turnovers which led directly to goals) won’t get you any votes either
But in fairness the team did a great job rotating on Neale
They kept his effectiveness down to a minimum and it was also Raynor and McCluggage quietest games in over a month
Ashcroft looked likely to break it open a few times. I’m concerned because they say his younger brother coming out this draft is better again
They’ll have some midfield depth going forward
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Glad we won but we still played the same style and made the same errors which has cost us games this season
This zone defence we play gets picked apart so easy when our midfield get beaten and don’t delay ball movement.
The kick mark kick mark teams play against us is so predictable now it’s not funny. We are officially ranked #1 for average marks conceded per game. Teams know if they keep control of the ball and slowly pick off easy marks sooner or later they’ll find a way through our zone.
When our pressure is over 210 we don’t lose quarters let alone matches but it’s unsustainable over 4 quarters hence why we have massive momentum swings in games and struggle to run out games.
Poor kicking at goal is habitual with us it seems
Our field kicking is just as bad. Across the entire team this season we rank 15th for kicking efficiency. The amount of open targets we miss not under pressure is amazing
We won this on the back of there poor kicking at goal and 2 bursts of brilliance from Nick in the second term snd Schulz in the last
On the positives
IQ was much better tonight
Cameron is just getting better he is likely to finish 2nd in the Copeland behind Nick
Josh had his best game in a while
McStay showed how valuable he is to our structure
Parker battled hard all night and never gave up. He showed enough to suggest he has more to offer when he gets used to the pace of AFL
Lipinski was much better
WHE did a heck of a job keeping Andrew’s away from the contest
Overall we didn’t have any really bad players which is a good sign

The Lions have a serious phobia of losing close games
Put a line through them in September

Our finals chances now rely on Carlton and Fremantle losing and us beating Melbourne
So there’s a slim chance but it’s a chance I guess
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:53 am
Pies4shaw wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:54 am So, exactly how many Brownlow Medals does a bloke have to win before he's good enough to get a kick against Sidebottom?

22 with 2 goals won’t get him 3 votes for sure
But 26 touches with only 6 effective disposals (including 4 turnovers which led directly to goals) won’t get you any votes either
You don't watch the game, do you?

Sidebottom made him look like a dribbling idiot, all game. It's no wonder it's a mystery to you how Steele has played 330 games. Even the Collingwood-hating commentators managed a grudging "Sidebottom has been huge all day" as he set up yet another forward thrust in the last quarter. It was a masterful performance and it's deeply troubling that you can't recognize it.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:04 am The Lions have a serious phobia of losing close games
I reckon the lions can score heavily and quickly at the Gabba and are right on the rev limiter at the MCG, they have such dangerous forward line. Even late Cameron got the goal and they had 2 more opportunities with Daniher and Bailey.

But under Fly we just have another gear pressuring the opposition and that showed last night.

I was critical of the coaching late in games this year where we tried to save the blues and swans games too early and stopped attacking. Fly, Cox and Daicos have all spoken post match about working on their method this week. I don’t know what if anything changed, assuming the method stayed the same but we executed better and caught the luck this time.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

Just watched a video on Facebook putting together Collingwood’s last 3 goals. Video starts with the full clip of Quaynor’s tackle right through to Schultz’s first goal.

So inspirational. What a game.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

RudeBoy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:28 am
Piethagoras' Theorem wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:45 am
Don't get me wrong. Of the 3 I mentioned, Parker is clearly the most talented, and may indeed have a good future with us. However, right now in 2024 he is not AFL ready imo. As much as I've been critical of him in the past, Finn Macrae is currently a much, much better player.
The club asked a lot of Parker to play any senior footy after only arriving at the club in March. Added to that, he copped a four week knee injury a couple months ago. That in itself, suggests the club is a big wrap for him. With his cricket background, he’s missed a couple years of hard work in the gym but the rest is already there and ready to be expanded on in 2025.

Generally you look to give these inexperienced kids a similar match up for an opponent on game day but the Lions small forwards have so much talent and experience, he was always going to be up against it, whether it was Lohman, Cameron, Bailey or Raynor. ( that’s scary for anyone ) That’s why I was surprised he got a game in the first place but maybe the club have one eye on the future with him already.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “