Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

Post by SLORT »

I'm hoping that he takes a good look at a few of his own coaching decisions recently. He has proven himself inflexible (on Moore, on adjusting the game style, on tagging the oppositions most important players), baffling (IQ on J Cameron), and now he's had a crack at the lack of on-ground leadership. I think he needs to take a breath and perhaps take some personal responsibility. Yes, we've had a shocking year with injuries but it seems that hubris had set in and reality has now wreaked havoc on our confidence. It is now that we get to find out just how good of a coach Fly can be.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Except that it's Collingwood and we eat our own, I can't really believe that people are questioning the Coach after the Club's amazing record since he took over. Do people think he hasn't got over the bar because we have just the one premiership in 3 seasons? Seriously?
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I agree with Fly about on-ground leadership, no problem with that because it’s obvious. Two things happen after a premiership — you have the hunger for more, or you get complacent and comfortable. Even if it’s just a 5% drop in hunger and focus, that’s enough to see you drop out of the 8 these days.

And crikey, we’ve used FORTY players from our list this year due to injuries. On top of Band-Aid trades with no big draft picks to work with due to previous club admin stuff ups. No team is going to compete for a flag in that situation. None of that is Fly’s fault.
BazBoy
Been liked: 28 times

Post by BazBoy »

I believe that Fly will take what has come to pass and bounce back next year with some list changes
Lost a battle has Fly but not the war
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:21 am
And crikey, we’ve used FORTY players from our list this year due to injuries. On top of Band-Aid trades with no big draft picks to work with due to previous club admin stuff ups. No team is going to compete for a flag in that situation. None of that is Fly’s fault.
Um no, we've used 37, the same number as; Suns,Saints & Roos. One more than; Lions & Melbourne.

Other than Richmond who've used 41, most teams are in the 33-37 range.

Sydney are the only real exception having used only 30 players.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Watching Clarko coaching this mouthwatering young north team from the box. They will be a force. I’d love to see Fly coach from the box for the remainder of the season to really see what is happening without ball in hand and work on his tactical coaching
Buon Giorno
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

I’d love Fly to do whatever he feels is right, and is the right way to win - not change because of external pressure.

My feeling earlier in the week was that we would lose this game but still make finals. That said, I didn’t expect it to be such a drubbing but I also think our extremely poor conversion skewed that.

In Fly’s previous 2 years we have a premiership (23) and the most enjoyable H&A season I’ve ever witnessed (22). I’m not prepared to get off the bandwagon or question his decisions or approach just yet.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

3 years today since Fly was appointed.

Still so grateful to him for helping us achieve success last year.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Not just for the premiership - the gameplan implemented from 2022 provides for the use of skill and flair, two things that were sadly lacking during the previous decade and had rendered Collingwood unwatchable, despite the presence of some brilliant players. He didn't just bring us a flag - he gave us our football team back.