#32 Will Hoskin-Elliott

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

His game against Melbourne - in a huge final up against it in awful conditions - was super. It brought together all of his inherent natural ability, and a new lease on life, desperate and throwing himself at it. A massive plus for the team.

(Not to ruin this thread by mentioning the Maynard hysteria, but WHE put in some huge dives and spoils, which makes for a great thought experiment: he wouldn't in a million years have attracted the same fake ire should he have landed on Brayshaw in the same circumstances).
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
BazBoy
Been liked: 27 times

Post by BazBoy »

Will Will will himself to have a gr8 finals series
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Hosk was fantastic and I didn’t even realise it was his 150th until the banner. He and Sidey played like they did earlier this season, similar roles
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by K »

Rohan Connolly:

'But the Magpies mightn't have had anything to celebrate at all had it not been for the game of the understated but enormously effective Will Hoskin-Elliott, whose late-season transition from wingman to defender had gone all but unnoticed until it proved arguably the match-winning move as Collingwood progressed straight to a preliminary final.

The 30-year-old former Giant has been in the system 12 years now and only a fortnight ago clocked up his 200th game. ...

Hoskin-Elliott's 20-disposal, 10-rebound 50 effort was pivotal to the Magpies' early scoreboard dominance, and then enabled it to withstand wave after wave of Melbourne attacks thereafter. It wasn't lost on the serious AFL analysts, either.

"That's probably as good as I've seen him play," said Jason Dunstall. David King agreed. "He was absolutely terrific. They got full tote odds out of him."'

(espn.com.au)
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

BazBoy wrote:Will Will will himself to have a gr8 finals series
Well played!
I think therefore I think - I think
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

pietillidie wrote:His game against Melbourne - in a huge final up against it in awful conditions - was super. It brought together all of his inherent natural ability, and a new lease on life, desperate and throwing himself at it. A massive plus for the team.
He was outstanding in the Qualifying Final.

WHE's ability to have the flexibility play wing and half back edged him ahead of Noble when match committee was deciding to drop Noble or not. Fly alluded to this in his post match presser.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^The foresight and gameness of the selection and coaching deserves as much praise as the performance itself. Inspired all round. Plus, now, Noble's had a rest, which for someone who throws himself at the contest bodes well, especially with the Adams injury making him an option. (Though sadly he's not a big-bodied mid, which is still a concern; I'm praying for dry weather!).
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
K

Post by K »

K

Post by K »

Moore:

"Will Hoskin-Elliott chose Monday's meeting to make a joke for the first time since he's been at the club, and it absolutely brought the house down.

"I think most people were just laughing because he said something … but it was a great joke that landed."
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

ehehehe love will hes so cool, james bond!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Well done Wilbur; as a massive critic of yours since 2019, your finals series was very serviceable, with many critical marks taken at crucial points in games when the pill was in dispute, and the win threatened to be taken away from us.

All the little things and 1%ers add up; bravo WHE
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Just watching a behind the scenes video from the AFL, noticed WHEs son wears 33 on his back!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

I think WHE had a VERY good finals series!
Often goes unnoticed, but from that final centre bounce Sunday with the game still up for grabs, its WHE that launches with the flight of the ball to create a contest from the quick kick clearance. He then tackles Bailey to the ground [the non recall advantage], and again runs back with the flight to take the chip from Naicos. From there he kicks back to Mitchel & moves forward looking to stay involved in the next play. Right at the end, its he who roves the Cox contested ball from Checkers and has the final kick [smothered] of the day. I salute the man.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:I think WHE had a VERY good finals series!
Often goes unnoticed, but from that final centre bounce Sunday with the game still up for grabs, its WHE that launches with the flight of the ball to create a contest from the quick kick clearance. He then tackles Bailey to the ground [the non recall advantage], and again runs back with the flight to take the chip from Naicos. From there he kicks back to Mitchel & moves forward looking to stay involved in the next play. Right at the end, its he who roves the Cox contested ball from Checkers and has the final kick [smothered] of the day. I salute the man.
Yep, it wasn't until I watched the replay that I noticed all the great contributions from WHE across the four quarters. I was aware watching live of the moments you mention above, but watching the replay he was doing significant things in other quarters too.
You are right I reckon.... unless he takes a strong mark (which has happened more frequently across the finals), the important contributions he makes do go virtually unnoticed.

So very happy for him that he's now a premiership player!!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

K wrote:Moore:

"Will Hoskin-Elliott chose Monday's meeting to make a joke for the first time since he's been at the club, and it absolutely brought the house down.

"I think most people were just laughing because he said something … but it was a great joke that landed."
That's funny K :lol: