Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

When it comes to national Security, governments can't be transparent. There's reasons why stuff is kept under cover till years later.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:When it comes to national Security, governments can't be transparent. There's reasons why stuff is kept under cover till years later.
exactly, agents may have been put at risk
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:When it comes to national Security, governments can't be transparent. There's reasons why stuff is kept under cover till years later.
Unfortunately, a great many so-called "national security" secrets are merely self-serving. I can appreciate some things being kept secret, but many things put in the national security basket are only used to protect governments themselves from accountability (which is to say, from their own people).

I'm not saying everything needs to be public, but there should be far more public knowledge of what's going on behind closed doors, and much greater oversight of those who get to decide what is or isn't for the public to know.
We can say with the benefit of hindsight that what Manning and Snowden did (as just two examples) were obviously for the good of the American people: to put it bluntly, they were in the right, and their government was in the wrong. Nobody, except those in power who took a justified reputational hit, can reasonably say that they were worse off as a result of knowing what their government was up to (in Iraq/Afghanistan and spying on their own citizens, respectively).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Amanda Stoker.

Honestly, she has the personality of someone who just ran over your dog then reversed over your grandma for the added giggles.

Surprised she didn't bite his head off if her allegations are true.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Whilst in general I’d agree with private information being private, unfortunately when you choose to go public and make a big name of yourself chasing publicity and money, then you’ve got to accept the consequences.

Much like a certain industrial body that is a huge political campaigner for the Andrews Labor Government then turn around and complain when they’re used by a political party!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

swoop42 wrote:Amanda Stoker.

Honestly, she has the personality of someone who just ran over your dog then reversed over your grandma for the added giggles.

Surprised she didn't bite his head off if her allegations are true.
It seems Van had a reputation.

This seems to be an own goal in political terms by the Libs hoping to bring down Gallagher or demonstrate some type of conspiracy when there was never anything to see here. Instead with the revelations from a gutsy Thorpe and Amanda Stoker of the Liberal Party have once again demonstrated the issue the Liberal Party continues to have with women.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Bernard Keane must be reading me on Nicks I reckon
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Senator Van has resigned from the Liberal party and will move to the cross bench, where he will be seated next to old mate Thorpey.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

One of his better articles I thought. Interesting that the $3M was a point but in the article he said it was disputed.

It's interesting how people react now, the knee jerk cancel culture is strong and the capacity of people to face confronting views with an open mind has seriously reduced.
David

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I think you miss read how the decision tree works. I agree with how he summed it up, but it doesn't actually mean anything.

It's like drawing a flow chart when you have options but not answers.
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

fair points, but the fact that the article was pulled is BS and if it costs him his job, that's proof the world has gone insane.