Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

stui magpie wrote:fair points, but the fact that the article was pulled is BS and if it costs him his job, that's proof the world has gone insane.
I'd look at the rise in fascism and the dangerous road many far right groups (and the just right in general) are travelling down as proof the world is already insane and about to get far worse.
Flagpies
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Left, Right, Left, Right.......

There's always been nutters on the extremes of both sides, there's not necessarily anymore than there ever has been, they just get a **** more airplay with all the social media options now.

And yeah, back to David's post, that's an interesting one.

The article lacks a few points that i saw on 7 news.

1. The implication is that the sex was consensual but the lack of wearing a condom wasn't which is the basis of the rape charge (if I heard it right)

2. He allegedly gave her a false name when they hooked up in a night club, she only realised who he was when she recognised him on TV with the publicity of the Higgins rape case.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

stui magpie wrote:^

Left, Right, Left, Right.......
That's garbage, the right is the only one going down this path, in fact they had to weaponize a word that means general enlightenment and equality in society because those values of fairness were really hitting profits.

They've worked out their values are outdated in the modern world and it's time to take the reigns by any means to do what's 'best' for the people.

Left right left right is the goose step we'll all be doing if the right doesn't get back to it's core values of democracy and free markets.
Flagpies
David

Post by David »

I'm all for presumption of innocence, but it's getting ridiculous at this point. How can he possibly win this case?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... ion-ntwnfb
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Defamation Cases do have a habit of backfiring. Look at BRS. This isn't over. https://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-e ... pplication.
Queensland Supreme Court judge Peter Applegarth on Thursday afternoon said Mr Lehrmann, charged with two counts of alleged rape in Toowoomba in October 2021, had failed in attempts to argue a magistrate in a lower court had erred in refusing an earlier suppression application.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I don't have a lot of sympathy for this bloke, whether guilty or innocent, he comes across as a sleazey douche.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote:I don't have a lot of sympathy for this bloke, whether guilty or innocent, he comes across as a sleazey douche.
He's clearly loaded with money judging by his huge legal team. I'm all for due process and in saying that I have friends in Vic Pol and the legal fraternity who simply say "sexual assault" is the hardest case to prove guilt as in most cases it's one person's word against another. This is why many women simply don't come forward and report sexual assault.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

stui magpie wrote:I don't have a lot of sympathy for this bloke, whether guilty or innocent, he comes across as a sleazey douche.
I agree he doesn't across as a very likeable person, but Higgins has been no better through this whole process.

It's one giant shitshow from both parties.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I don't see how there could be equivalence. She's not been accused of raping anyone - and certainly not in two different cities.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ I don't see how there could be equivalence. She's not been accused of raping anyone - and certainly not in two different cities.
No, but they're both known liars.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ I don't see how there could be equivalence. She's not been accused of raping anyone - and certainly not in two different cities.
It's all a conspiracy, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Jezza wrote:
No, but they're both known liars.
yep. You wouldn't trust either of them as far as you could throw them.

Good advertisements for the characteristics required of Political Staffers.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

All of them, even the boyfriend comes across as Carlton supporters.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David

Post by David »