#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

My experience is that you break your hand in the process of whacking someone, which is in the same order of seriousness as pranging a car.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Geoff Walsh commented " To regain trust may take two months or two years"

How long is a piece of string

Not words of confidence
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

MJ23 wrote:Disappointed as he is genuinely competing for his spot. This will give a few players an opportunity to go past him. They either will or won't and if they dont its all up to JDG to put this behind him and cement his spot through actions he can control.

End of the day though he is a kid and kids do dumb things. I'm not ready to crucify him for either the incident or panicking after.

There are plenty of senior AFL players running around now that have had similar incidents or worse in their past. Most on here are super critical of the club when after one too many incidents we do move them on.

This could be the beginning of the end or the making of him.

Im keen to see which way he decides to go. Fresh in the memory is Swanny talking about the 2003 incident that presented the crossroads in his life and how certain he was that it helped shape him into the player he became.

comparison stats

2016 JDG / 2004 Swanny
20 Games 13
9.2 Kicks Per Game 8.1
9.0 Handballs Per Game 5.1
18.2 Disposals Per Game 13.2
4.0 Marks Per Game 3.8
0.8 Goals Per Game 0.2
0.7 Behinds Per Game 0.4
3.6 Tackles Per Game 1.4

Lets have our sook and then move on quickly to see how he develops from it all.....
What a relief! Someone who doesn't respond knee jerk. Great work MJ23!!
I'm not the pheasant plucker I'm the pheasant plucker's son, and I'll be plucking pheasants til the pheasant plucker comes! "Try saying that with a mouthful of peanuts!!" Lou Richards
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Lock it in, people. He will be gone at the end of the season.

Trade bait.
Est. 2002
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:My experience is that you break your hand in the process of whacking someone, which is in the same order of seriousness as pranging a car.

Check the road toll and accidents, I don't think so. :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

thompsoc wrote:
think positive wrote:
thompsoc wrote: I have a simple question...why did he lie?
Same reason most 21 year olds do, they think they can get away with something
There is something wrong if they have to lie.
They don't have to lie, they choose to. My kids know that they will always be in more trouble if they lie, than if they face te consequences, but some kids, including sometimes one of my kids, still try to play the odds! Don't want to face things, don't want to miss out on something as punishment, don't want to get in trouble, don't want to disappoint, I thin, it's a stage kids go through. He's nuts though to think he could get away with this. And I'm sure he's shattered and a little afaraid he let Bucks down,
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

^ really do we know enough about the incident to really judge. As for him lying, no doubt the club has at some stage instructed the players that any incident involving players will get exploited by the media. He would have thought by creating a story that didn't include a punch up would have got him through ..... well it was weak and really hard to believe. Owning up to the truth was the right thing to do, and in the end after all, the media got to it as they always do. Of course we're right in the middle of it. All those moral and righteous Carton, Richmond and Melbourne supporters are "singing" as our leaders hand out a punishment for the young bloke. You hope he develops into a nonsense self driven hard player like Swanny
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Added to Walsh comnent
Nathan was visibly upset
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
E

Post by E »

De Goey is proving why Football Players all need baby sitters. Seriously, if they had half a brain they'd all be dangerous.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

NO Doubt Bucks will haul him into his office tomorrow, and read the riot act too him, as will Walsh. Bucks may go ballistic, that and the utter humiliation de goey has brought on himself, a fine and game penalties, may well be the making of him. This may really shake him up, a bit like what happened to a larrikin Stevie J, down at the cats, several years ago, he was a dickhead, got suspended, and turned his life around. I'm hoping young degoey can do likewise, everyone deserves a second chance, hell, I did some dumb shit things when I was young. Hopefully,he can take this like a man, and learn a hard lesson from it, and resume his footy career with us reborn again. I wish him well, its up too him now.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Enough

Post by Hiss »

Sack him! We must get tough on these issues. Malthouse would not have put up with this crap.
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

Woods wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Woods wrote: Frankly amazed at Buckley's insipid media performance yesterday. Very, very poor. He needed to preface everything he said with "I've been told that he hurt his hand" etc etc.
I couldn't disagree more. If the club is to build a trusting environment then Bucks has to let it be known that he trusts the players when they tell him something. The fact that Bucks took Jordy at his word is what makes the embarrassment for De Goey even greater. Bucks has been first class as usual.
He needed to use a form of words (including less words) to cover off his support of the player and the liklihood that De Goey lied (as the whole AFL world speculated upon immediately after the press conference).

As it stands now, and re-watching his press conference yesterday, it appears that Buckley was part of the lie. Knowingly trying to bullshit the footy world. That's why I'm amazed by it. He's a proven media performer, but he left no avenue of escape with the words he used if the situation went belly up, as it has.
Tripe! Buckley placed his trust in De Goey and De Goey let HIM down. Suggesting Buckley should publicly doubt JDG and sit on the fence to cover his own arse against speculation is ridiculous. Buck's believed him. Any person in their right mind would. What, should the club conduct a Royal Commission into Jeremy Howe's dog related injury this time last year?
I'm not the pheasant plucker I'm the pheasant plucker's son, and I'll be plucking pheasants til the pheasant plucker comes! "Try saying that with a mouthful of peanuts!!" Lou Richards
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

Woods wrote:
Damien wrote:What a crock of sh1t woods. clearly you know nothing about leadership.

Buckley has done exactly want you'd want as a leader. He took the player at his word and supported him, only to be let down. IF he'd been telling the truth and Bucks doubted him, and worst still, aired that doubt publicly, that would be the worst thing for the relationship between player and coach. Instead this dickhead has made a fool of the coach.

I'm not a huge fan of Brad Scott but he backs his players to the hilt and they love him for it. DeGoey owes Buckley big time.
Addressed this in my previous post.

And you know nothing about media relations. I do.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! That is funny. Stuff is always funnier when the deliverer of the joke has no idea they're being funny.

Tell us Mr Media Adviser. Write the statement Buckley should've made. And be serious will ya. We wanna belly laugh this time!!
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

think positive wrote:From big footy and I agree
Kid without a sterling record, timing coincides with big bday, gives pies a weak story they've heard before...

Before Buckley goes to the media about it for the first time, all smiles, how the hell does he or someone else in a senior role not sit JDG down, look him dead in the eyes and tell him in no uncertain terms 'if this injury occurred as a result of something else, something you know you shouldntve been doing - ok - we'll work through it. But if you're telling me now you hurt it playing with your dog and that turns out to be false, consider your 2017 season finished. So I'll ask one last time, how did you break your hand?'

If anyone had that conversation with him, the dog story never ends up in the media, and half the circus of crap here is avoided.

Abysmal handling by all parties.
How do you know that conversation didn't happen? Were you there?

Come on!!??
Last edited by Fatui Attata on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatui Attata

Post by Fatui Attata »

thompsoc wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
thompsoc wrote:It is hilarious reading some of these moralistic posts.
The guy lied ..... so flog him to death.
But why did he lie in the first place?
Because he was scared of telling the truth!
is that a good culture to enforce?
Was he allowed to go out in the first place?
Nearly everyone on this thread reckons a punitive regime is the way to go.
I say that is crap.
If 50 years of punitive action on the war on drugs taught you anything!
If you reckon the world will work better by enforcing lifestyle rules, bureaucracy and strict rules then I say welcome to the world of perpetual disappointment.
Treat every case on it's merit and the one thing for certain is that a team of robots will never win a flag.

Well at least not until 2065.

So what is worse going backwards for 5 straight years or a player whacking some idiot on a Saturday night.
I think you're missing the point. I don't particularly care if he went out on the town, got drunk and hit a policeman and spent a week in jail. I wasn't fussed when Swanny got arrested for going to help his mates who were in a fight with a security guard. But I do care when a player lies to his coach, particularly a coach who stuck up for him all last year when his form didn't justify his spot in the team. I feel sorry for Buckley in this situation whatever you think of his performance as a senior coach. He doesn't deserve what he copped from De Goey and the leadership group responded with a pretty harsh penalty on De Goey's behaviour, which was independent of any penalty Buckley might have imposed.
I have a simple question...why did he lie?
Fear of consequences.