Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

MASSIVE THREAD BUMP/

Check the dates, prior to this post it's old stuff, but old stuff worth revisiting in the current climate.

China has cracked the sads with people trying to hold them to account and not accepting their attempts to re-write history.

First they whack massive tarrifs on our Barley imports, then they ban imports from 4 abattoirs. Flexing their muscles as a threat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-13/ ... n/12243560

If it wasn't clear 6 years ago, it should be now. China is an authoritarian state, it's not even a pretense of a democracy and that's not changing anytime in the next few decades.

We really need to diversify our exports, we cannot afford to be economically reliant on the CCP. Yeah, trade with them but don't for a second think they're a friend or ally or future generations of Australians will all be required to speak Cantonese or Mandarin.

#****
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Maintain close ties with the US as an ally and diversify our economic interests, expand existing markets in Europe and other parts of Asia.

Read the article I linked to, China has been doing this shit for ages too and their plans for the future aren't influenced by Trump or the USA but by what they think they can do.

Read up on their Belt and Road stuff. These farkers are intent on world domination.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Great thread bump, Stui. I was thinking of starting a thread on China, but haven't got around to doing it.

We need to expand our trade relations with various countries. This includes:

- USA
- Japan
- South Korea
- Taiwan
- Singapore
- Indonesia
- India
- UK
- EU member states

It should concern every Australian that China accounts for 36% of our export wealth which is more than Japan, South Korea and the US combined. Our universities make up to $12 billion a year in fees from Chinese students who come out to study here.

Unfortunately, I don't think much will change because there's simply too many vested interests in the country that want this trading relationship to continue. We only need to look at examples such as Twiggy Forest and Kerry Stokes to reinforce this.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

You can potentially move that 36% elsewhere, just likely at not the same profit. China may not have more demand for stuff than others, they're just more willing to pay over the odds, when it suits them. That's what makes them dangerous.

You need to sacrifice a few % of profit to broaden the horizon.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Oh goody a thread titled “ saying the unsayable about China” I’ll be able to stay on topic no problem at all :P

Thanks Stui!:D

#****
Last edited by Morrigu on Wed May 13, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Can we export Twiggy to ****?
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

At this point I'd be happy to nationalize all Chinese owned property and business in Australia.

****. China.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Wokko wrote:At this point I'd be happy to nationalize all Chinese owned property and business in Australia.

****. China.
I'm very happy to reserve that as a viable option, particularly where it comes to primary producers. I could give a fat rats if they overpaid for a Toorak property, but farms and associated entities they can %$^ right off.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Your wrong about being glib when things were sold off, I don’t know anyone who thought it was a good idea, my husband ranted about it, same as the privatisation of Telstra etc. none of it was ever a good idea.

Getting over the constant racist calls, I don’t hate Chinese people, I do hate China and the misery they have subjected the world to. I hate the callous way they allow animals to be treated. I also hate the US laws on many things, such as their wild animal policies, (and it may be that Tiger King will now force changes) and those god awful people who damage horses legs to make them step up. And Australia for allowing jump racing despite the carnage. It’s not racism, it’s evil shit done by a country that happens to be a race that’s not the same as mine. I don’t hate muslins, I do hate isis. And I do hate Umpires ever damn colour they are .
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

The threats that the Chinese student tap will be blocked and they will go somewhere else is amusing.

They are studying in Australia to get Permanent Residency and/or for their parents to buy property. Once the borders are open, they will be back as long as the PR carrot is dangled in front of them.

As for the threats against beef, milk, wine exports - it is the Chinese that want our goods as Australia is seen as a clean country probably even more so that we have (so far) been able to limit the spread of COVID-19.

And the CCP mouthpieces have said they will get iron ore from Brazil instead of Australia. They have always been able to get iron ore from Brazil, so it must be of more benefit to China to source it from Australia.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Brazilian iron ore is (a) more expensive, and (b) limited in volume. Most of Brazil's iron ore has to go through pre-processing to make it suitable for use (where most Australian iron ore can be simply bulldozed up and loaded on the ship). This adds to the production cost. Secondly, it costs more to transport ore from Brazil to China because of the extra distance. This doesn't mean that Vale (the main Brazilian producer and one of the three world iron giants, alongside Rio and BHP) charges more, but it does mean that they make less per tonne delivered to China, and are correspondingly less interested in selling extra.

In any case, Brazilian production alone is not enough to supply China's demand. China has to buy Australian iron ore.

Not so for practically everything else we sell there though.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!