Collingwood misses out on Frawley

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Some people advocate that free agency should come with no compensation but I think that's to harsh.

However in some ways I think free agency should work the same as the father son rule.

Frawley is free to go to the club of his choice but the AFL decide whether he's worth a first round pick and so on.

Frawley gets to go to Hawthorn but they have to give up pick 19 in return to Melbourne.

This could lead to clubs losing a player for less than they otherwise would receive under the current system but it would also make sure top clubs can't just have a free hit of a player and need to judge his worth against the pick they would be giving up.

To me this is a fairer and better system.

Thoughts?
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

It probably is a better system Swoop but it kind of contradicts the whole concept of free agency and having to give a draft pick up to recruit a player through this process in the first place.

Regarding Frawley, he's an overrated player who constantly butchers the ball and is considered lazy by many people. Maybe he'll thrive in a new environment but I'm glad we didn't pursue him considering how much money he was demanding from clubs who were considering to recruit him.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Jezza wrote:It probably is a better system Swoop but it kind of contradicts the whole concept of free agency and having to give a draft pick up to recruit a player through this process in the first place.

Regarding Frawley, he's an overrated player who constantly butchers the ball and is considered lazy by many people. Maybe he'll thrive in a new environment but I'm glad we didn't pursue him considering how much money he was demanding from clubs who were considering to recruit him.
FA is about providing players with an opportunity to move, it was never meant to be a list management tool for clubs.