Transgender athletes back on the agenda

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

I'm saying that Sabrina is one of the greatest female tennis players of all time, if not the greatest. She herself said she cant compete against men. I don't know how to break it to you david, but men and women are different, always were, always will be. Not inferior, just different. Different strengths and weaknesses. Men are physically able to be more powerful, stronger, faster, and agile, and more importantly, all four at once. Women are strong in a different way. And physically they will never, as a majority, be able to compete athletically with men, and nor should they have to.

So if one day your competing for a literary prize and get beaten out by someone who has virtually copied someone else's work, will you complain? Why? It's still a better article.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:So if one day your competing for a literary prize and get beaten out by someone who has virtually copied someone else's work, will you complain? Why? It's still a better article.
Again, it's just not a fair comparison. You're equating someone who's transgender with a cheat.

Men and women are different; so are people. Jarryd Blair has a totally different size, physique and skill set to Travis Cloke. Do they still have more in common with each other physically than they do with Serena Williams? Yes, quite possibly. But who's to say how much diversity in capability is too much? If Hannah lines up for the AFLW in 2018, I bet you she will lose marking contests, get pinged for holding the ball and play in winning and losing teams. I hope she gets to experience her dream, and I hope that she proves some of the more ridiculous predictions in this thread wrong along the way. Let's wait and see what happens.
stui magpie wrote:That may say a lot about your circle of friends. :P
This is quite plausible.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

OK, let's unpack your argument.

mason Cox and Blair aren't competing against each other for the same role, they're competing against other men who have similar physical attributes.

A transgender female is competing for a spot against females with similar attributes but they have a physiological advantage based on their birth gender as TP articulated earlier.

Aussie rules is probably a poor case study due to the diversity of attributes that go to make up an AFL player. Weight lifting (as was discussed earlier) is a far more clear example. Under the current rules a woman could lift a world record for her weight class at the Olympics yet be beaten for the gold by a physiological male (albeit with advantage diluted by chemicals) who had trained as a weight lifter prior to transition. That doesn't sit right with me.

Apply the same to many athletic endeavours. Rowing, running,long jump, high jump etc where the historical records clearly show males perform better than females.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Interesting way to find out if transwomen are actually physically-advantaged over ciswomen:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rally.html
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Well i hope they push this through to horse racing.
I'm sick of Novative having to carry 2kg more than the girl horses. Since he's gelded, doesn't that put him a little closer to being a transgender horsey?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Skids

Post by Skids »

David

Post by David »

Skids

Post by Skids »

Skids

Post by Skids »

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

It's difficult enough to get girls into sport these days, take it to the bank that having transgender athletes competing as women will chase even more away.

You can frame your arguments however you like, in the end it's just facile debate point scoring to push an agenda. A eunuch is not a woman, and you can dance around the issue to pander to people's feelings as much as you like.

Live and let live and all that, but not at the expense of others. I'm with Greer and the RadFems on this one (never thought I'd ever be saying those words).
think positive

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:

Live and let live and all that, but not at the expense of others.
i agree with your whole post, but this line is the one that really relates to the thread completely in my opinion.
David

Post by David »

thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

and one that I think is ultimately far greater than the cost to cis women
"As a man, let me quantify how much this impacts upon women"
think positive

Post by think positive »

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
and one that I think is ultimately far greater than the cost to cis women
"As a man, let me quantify how much this impacts upon women"
yup!!