Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Well, yes, obviously - but I can't give the polling results for 2022, yet.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

I know. But the polls won't mean much until people have had a chance to see what kind of job Biden has done. It's still all ahead of him with covid and the economic recovery.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Well, yes and no. One has to know where they start to assess the trends.

If you have a look at the approval comparison with past presidents and set it to 27 days (or whatever the current figures happens to be when you look) you will see that he's tracking fairly typically for a first-term president (roughly the same as Clinton and the second Bush), behind Obama and way ahead of Trump.

Moreover, if you flip it and look at net approval, you will see that the approval/disapproval gap for Biden is +17.3%, whereas for Trump it was -5.6%. Biden's popularity has improved slightly since day 1, whereas Trump started very slightly net positive but just tailed off gradually and never reached a net positive approval rating again. Net approval is interesting because it allows for the effect of people who couldn't care less. Biden, at this stage, looks to be both viewed more favourably than Trump and to be a less polarizing figure - we probably expected that but it's interesting that the figures tend to confirm it.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Interesting comparisons. But I think Biden has continued to go under the radar with all the attention staying on Trump after the riot and impeachment. Looking forward to seeing what happens once Trump drops off and Biden is judged on his merits.
Last edited by Sicks Bux on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

It seems that "Biden" and "enlightenment" won't be used in the same sentence again, unless the word "no" is included.

I almost choked on my lunch when I read that he suggested that China’s Uighur genocide is part of ‘different cultural norms’.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

I didn't expect much but that is extremely disappointing.
kill for collingwood!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

roar wrote:I didn't expect much but that is extremely disappointing.
No, this was blown up by the Murdoch Media.

They took out a line or lines of his response which was to look it at from China’s perspective. He doesn’t agree with it nor condone it.

He goes on to say “China will pay for human rights abuses”
all over China.

Murdoch went with a headline without the context. It is a mischievous and misleading headline. Who’d a thunk that the Murdoch Press could do such a thing
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Biden breaks major campaign promise: https://lawandcrime.com/immigration/bid ... riorities/
5 from the wing on debut

It didn't take long.
They've just bombed Syria.
5 from the wing on debut

Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Is this what constitutes a return to normality?
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

We all know the keys to politics is to be able to fake sincerity and ignore blatant hypocrisy.

Pile on the opposition at every opportunity but when your own team does the same thing it's either somehow different or "Oooooh look, bright shiny thing"
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

This was an attack on terrorist groups who have been attacking US forces in Iraq,not an attack on Syria the country.Quite a big difference.You don’t think that the U.S has the right to defend itself when its forces have been attacked by terrorists?
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

doriswilgus wrote:This was an attack on terrorist groups who have been attacking US forces in Iraq,not an attack on Syria the country.Quite a big difference.You don’t think that the U.S has the right to defend itself when its forces have been attacked by terrorists?
Iranian-backed militias are fighting alongside Assad, who are fighting Sunni jihadist groups.

The US shouldn't even be involved in the conflict.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

United States President Joe Biden has directed the US military to conduct airstrikes in eastern Syria against facilities belonging to what it says were Iran-backed militia.

The Pentagon confirmed the strike, which was a calibrated response to rocket attacks against US targets in Iraq.

The move appeared to be limited in scope, potentially lowering the risk of escalation.

Also a decision to strike only in Syria and not in Iraq would give the Iraqi government some breathing room as it carries out its own investigation of a February 15 attack that wounded Americans.

A US official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the decision to carry out these strikes was meant to send a signal that while the US wanted to punish the militias, it did not want the situation to spiral into a bigger conflict.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-26/ ... t/13196358