Farewell #39 Aiden Begg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Poor man's Phil Jackson perhaps. (The player, not the coach)
Get back on top.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Hard to Judge

I think we would all like Mitch Lewis who is 23 and is on the cusp of becoming a bone Fide Key Forward.

Lewis looked promising then dropped away. Could easily have been written off, but came back this year.

To me, Begg has some excellent attributes, offers the exact same trend line.

Too early for anyone to say he is lumbering, or short, or whatever. They are all subjective, and nothing to do with his qualities.

If he is 'good', these shortcomings are irrelevant.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

npalm wrote:^^ How does he make it as a key forward (or key back for that matter) when he's not a good mark? He averaged less than one mark a game in the VFL this year.
Yeah dont think he gets as much time forward as he needs having to ruck. Still you'd like more marks as a rucck. His two NAB games before injury he averaged 4.5 marks and again played more ruck.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

Got hopes he can become a good player for us.

He's 197cm and has just turned 20. Been with us for a year and a half and played 3 games this year.

A full pre-season this time around and a spot to compete for could see him take the next step.

I'm Beggin', Beggin' you, put your loving hand out, baby!
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

As a generalisation, I find it both sad and disturbing that so many developed ruckman change clubs, or end up getting delisted when there seems to be a shortage of them at AFL standard?

Considering how long it can take to develop size, muscle and endurance, I'm really stunned so many clubs let their 3rdstring ruckman go, even those on minimum wage, when you have to start the process all over again.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Given that Jackson is a poor man's footballer, I would hope that the bar was set just a bit higher, at the very least.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Fair call, he's getting a shitpile of money based on potential and 1 quarter in GF.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Pies2016 wrote:The other good news is that Begg returns this week. At least after a couple VFL games, he will provide another option while Cameron continues to rehab ( assuming Begg doesn’t injure himself again in the process )
Begg at 197cm has shown is likely to develop as a KP not as a first ruck.
Although he could keep growing a bit.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Begg at 197cm has shown is likely to develop as a KP not as a first ruck.
Although he could keep growing a bit.
This is 100% true- Begg is not the short, or long-term, ruck solution.
My understanding is that he is now approx 199cm tall.

However tall he is, he was a centre Half Forward type at Eastern Ranges, although he could develop into a centre half back at the 'Pies.

He is quite a talent and will benefit from a solid run in the VFL to gain both confidence and experience.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Well, what I would say, is if we played Begg as a first ruck in 2022 ( Grundy out ) and now we’re playing Krueger and Johnson as back up rucks in 2023, I would think anytime Cox and Cameron aren’t available, then Begg will come into calculations as a ruckman until they return. Cox is also more of a forward than Begg, so why couldnt they rotate around until Cameron is available.
We know very little about Begg. He only played a handful of U18 games in total ( Covid, shoulder reco ) We also know he currently trains with the rucks at Collingwood. He may develop into something down the spine but I would think that’s further away than any ruck development that he’s already had put into him. Apologies for going off topic.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Ruck is just as much about strength as it is about height and Begg is built like a power forward and there's nothing to say that power forwards couldn't ruck if they wanted to. Begg's issues are more to do with age, injuries and lack of match play. In time I think Begg will develop as a tall forward, but with so much time lost to injuries and COVID it's impossible to say where he'll end up playing (if he makes it).
mudlark

Our Ruck Stocks.

Post by mudlark »

I'm just watching the VFL side demolish Richmond and I have to say,I hope we never get rid of Aiden Begg. He is a gem and still growing and getting bigger and kicked 3 goals.and his ruck partner, Oscar Steene is a fantastic pickup. Our ruck stocks look to be in great shape. And a mention to Fin McCraes game after backing up from a good 1/2 on Friday night he's had near 30 touches today and killing them. We have a very bright future.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Begg is developing into a genuine forward ruck, which will solve some issues in the years ahead with Cox quite old and Cameron hardly a spring chicken.
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Best game to date for Aiden in the VFL.
3 goals, 19 disposals, 14 hit outs.

May not be a no. 1 ruckman but definitely a good 2nd option who can play forward. Is only 20 so plenty of development to come.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We are crying out for a genuine CHF, so let's hope we have one in the making with Begg. He has really come on this year, and by the end of next season, he may well get some senior games.