Rucking Duties

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Uncle Jack wrote:
mudlark wrote:Scratches head as he reads some responses!! We HAVE a 2 time AA 2 time Copeland trophy winner and people are putting up names of potatoes to take his place. 21 years of continuous membership is about to come to an end for me. I’ve stuck fat with this club for 69 years and been through a lot of shit but this takes the cake. What are the movers and shakers of this club even thinking about? Get rid of Grundy, pay $300k of his wages, get McStay in on $600k and we have ZERO nett gain and we lose one of the best footballers in the comp.
I still don't get how this works. Where is the $300,000 counted? In Melbourne's (if he ends up there) cap? Is that where the advantage lies? or does it just disappear into the ether?
It doesn’t matter what column it’s in it’s $900K . Same as what Brodie would be getting at this time of his contract. It makes NO SENSE!!
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

mudlark wrote:
Uncle Jack wrote:
mudlark wrote:Scratches head as he reads some responses!! We HAVE a 2 time AA 2 time Copeland trophy winner and people are putting up names of potatoes to take his place. 21 years of continuous membership is about to come to an end for me. I’ve stuck fat with this club for 69 years and been through a lot of shit but this takes the cake. What are the movers and shakers of this club even thinking about? Get rid of Grundy, pay $300k of his wages, get McStay in on $600k and we have ZERO nett gain and we lose one of the best footballers in the comp.
I still don't get how this works. Where is the $300,000 counted? In Melbourne's (if he ends up there) cap? Is that where the advantage lies? or does it just disappear into the ether?
It doesn’t matter what column it’s in it’s $900K . Same as what Brodie would be getting at this time of his contract. It makes NO SENSE!!
Difference is that McStay can (allegedly) play key forward or back, and Grundy can’t, and that is where we need someone
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

mudlark wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Maybe we can replace him with Travis Cloke, he might be old but he’s probably as in good from as Grundy in recent years…

AA and Copeland winner who has been shit for 3 years, stop living in the past.
It’s probably escaped that mind capacity of yours, but the last 3 years have been Covid affected with players being quarantined from their family and friends. But yeah!! Played like shit apparently.
So it only affected poor pea hearted, selfish Brodie did it? What a sensitive soul he must be…

Of course it’ll all magically turn around as he enters his 30s…It’s not at all a case of every club in the league has worked him out and realised you don’t even need to compete against him at ruck contests cos he can’t hurt you.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

Piesnchess wrote:
How come none of this sort of shit happens down at bloody Geelong, dont they have a salary cap at sleepy Hollow, whose cooking the books down there, ? why does only us, get salary cap woes. ?? that continue for ages, ?? does not add up at all.
The newspaper reported last week that Tom Hawkins, who was awarded the AA captaincy this year, is on a salary of about $400,000, so the answer to your question may be that some of their players are less greedy and selfish than some of ours.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

dalyc wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Scott Pendlebury, longest serving Collingwood player, ever, whose opinion I take 100% over any numpty here, quote, " Look, I dont want us to lose Brodie, no, hes very important too us, and ALL AUSTRALIAN RUCKMAN DONT GROW ON TREES, FOR SURE. ".

GAME, SET, AND MATCH. REST MY CASE.
Pendles is not going to publicly say anything different regardless oh how he feels or thinks.
Not only that, but Pendlebury's most recent comments that Grundy has a future at Collingwood "if he wants" sounds like Pendlebury means "if he does the right thing and agrees to a $300,000 per year salary cut and also buys into the team ethos".
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Wonka wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
How come none of this sort of shit happens down at bloody Geelong, dont they have a salary cap at sleepy Hollow, whose cooking the books down there, ? why does only us, get salary cap woes. ?? that continue for ages, ?? does not add up at all.
The newspaper reported last week that Tom Hawkins, who was awarded the AA captaincy this year, is on a salary of about $400,000, so the answer to your question may be that some of their players are less greedy and selfish than some of ours.
Having just finished reading Neil Balmes book, you can see why he was able to hold premiership lists together a little longer than most.

“How much do you need?” opposed to “how much do you want?” was his philosophy which probably explains why players like Hawkins are on 300-400k.
Last edited by slangman on Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Side By Side -
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

[quote="eddiesmith"]Why do we need to replace him with a similar or better ruckman? We just made a prelim without him so it’s not like he’s a big loss
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

There is no better evidence than this season as to why we shouldn’t be paying $1m for Brodie.

Whilst he is a great clubman and human being, this is a business and we need to address our deficiencies as a priority. Clearance mids and another tall forward need to be the priority for us to take the next step.

Let’s maximise what we get back for him.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Wonka wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Cannot imagine the younger Cat players going down that route, Hawk is a dinosaur from the old era, and Geebung will have big problems keeping their younger dudes as the come out of contract, they would be no different to any other team. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

slangman wrote:
Wonka wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Having just finished reading Neil Balmes book, you can see why he was able to hold premiership lists together a little longer than most.

“How much do you need?” opposed to “how much do you want?” was his philosophy which probably explains why players like Hawkins are on 300-400k.

Going back say, two seasons, Hawk is bit older now, but say, two seasons ago , if he was out of contract, and a Melbourne club, offered him say, $700 000 for three yrs, per year, you telling me hed knock back 300K more per year, to stay with the Cats ?? Thats $900 K more, every man has his price, he would not have knocked that back, turn it up. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Piesnchess wrote:How do we replace Grundy ???? WE DONT. AND CANT.

100%

So now we pay some other Club part of his salary to play against us?

That’s beyond fυcked!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

ANNODAM wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:How do we replace Grundy ???? WE DONT. AND CANT.

100%

So now we pay some other Club part of his salary to play against us?

That’s beyond fυcked!

Yep, did that shit with Treloar, once bitten, twice shy. Do we ever learn, ever. ?? :o :roll:

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I feel like the club should decide how they wish to deal with this situation and quickly move on. I’m sick of all the fuss about this slow burning dump fire. We have a bright to look forward to. If Gundry doesn’t want to be a part of it, adios amigo, enjoy your millions instead of playing in our jumper.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

The angst is based on the news that we will swap Grundy to save $300,000 but will be paying that amount to Melbourne, and yet we end up paying McStay $600,000 and end up exactly the same.

it seems so silly, that can't be the sole reason, can it?

Or the speculated details of the trade are incorrect.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

^ surely the club has to be playing hard-ball with Melbourne and get the 300k down lower. Then there's the issue of what draft pick they pay in return. The higher $ we pay of his salary, the higher the draft pick we will receive. We'd better not get screwed both ways, where we pay $300k, and also only end up with a low draft pick...
I find your lack of faith disturbing