Congratulations to Daniel Andrews 3000 days

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:Let's not forget when Labor got nearly totally wiped out in Queensland and then came back to win four years later under Palaszczuk. I don't think anyone can say with certainty that a party is out of the race this far out.
That was Queensland. Victorian Libs have a loooong way to go to make themselves electable.
That’s true but QLD embraced right wing conspiracy nutters through Newman. Now if conspiracy theory nutters are going to congregate anywhere it’ll be QLD. When Newman got turfed on his ear (a good thing too) in part that was related to the public rejecting extremist alarmist conspiracy laden nutters that are part of the LNP.

The lesson in part in Victoria is that tolerating extremism including conspiracy nutters, religious conservatives and at times neo Nazis will continue to make the LNP unelectable in the current set of circumstances.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

I have no idea who I will vote for, but one things for sure, covid and the handling of it, won’t come into the thought process. It’s easy to judge when you’re not in those shoes, and even Jacinta, who was lauded for her stand also hit snags. Hopefully a once in a generation thing we never have to live though the toughest part again thing. Yes I know it’s not over!

That’s why I got the fifth booster, flu shot and paid extra for a balcony on the cruise!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Dan's pulled the plug:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nouncement

Cue cheers/tears
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Good riddance.

The worst Premier in Victoria’s history.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I liked what he did for renters' rights, voluntary assisted dying and public transport infrastructure. Strongly disliked the way he communicated with media and voters, his handling of criminal justice, his cronies' intervention into council elections, the corruption that got swept under the rug thanks to IBAC, the early Belt and Road ties and probably other bad stuff I've forgotten about.

Gets mostly pass marks from me for his handling of COVID, which of course is the main flashpoint of his time as premier and what most people will remember him for. Didn't love the whole police state / criminalising protest approach though, and I think that will leave a much longer and darker legacy in the years to come.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pi

Post by Pi »

Good riddance to commie Dan. What 'worthy' bureaucrat or ideologue will take his place to maintain the glorious policies and the highest debt of any state government in the nation?
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Won't be having any celebrations at the Fox residence.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Culprit »

Dan clearly still lives in many people's heads. For all the Dan haters you should be putting your energy into the most pathetic opposition this State has ever had. Infighting, religious fruit loops, and moving further to the right are why Dan won again and again and again.

We need a strong opposition but have a look at what they have put up. *Facepalm*

Now build the Statue :lol: :lol:
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Build that statue indeed, we need more public urinals.

The real reasons behind this sudden departure will come out in due course, but for now, Door, Arse and farkoff.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote:Build that statue indeed, we need more public urinals.

The real reasons behind this sudden departure will come out in due course, but for now, Door, Arse and farkoff.
The conspiracies will be flying around. Haven't been able to get anything to stick in 9 plus years. The Statue should be put outside Liberal HQ giving them the bird
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Only disappointing part is he got to resign and wasn’t forced out due to a competent IBAC or an unfortunate accident.

But reading Allan’s record and not sure much will change, yet another career politician who’s never held a real job and is loved by the unions.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Did I just read he was the longest-serving premier in history?

The only thing I did pick up from afar was that his approach to Covid was right enough in terms of degree/extent from a risk management POV.

I'm always wary of those who obsess over state politics news cycles, left or right. That's where the ugliest of ugly media starts, Melbourne talkback radio being among the worst from memory.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

pietillidie wrote:Did I just read he was the longest-serving premier in history?
If you did, it's wrong. Henry Bolte was. 17 years. At least in Victoria anyway.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Must've been the longest something else ;) Vic ALP premier? List of eddiesmith grievances?

I can tell you hated him. Was he just an annoying dic£?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yeah, longest serving Labor Premier in Victoria. Otherwise, he doesn't make the top 3 longest serving Victorian Premiers and barely scrapes into the top 20 longest serving Premiers in the country.

Best word I could use to desribe him is Polarizing.

I liked him at first, thought he was doing some good stuff, but that changed the more I saw of him in action, particulalry during Covid. My opinion of him now is that he's a lying, arrogant, unaccountable cnut.

Many others would drink his bathwater though they love him so much.