Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

As mentioned by others, righting the ledger / redemption or whatever the correct term has presented itself to at least 50% of the team which played in 2019.

I'll only focus on GWS, as I can only talk to the game head and not wishcasting beyond Friday night.

You dont often have those chances in life.

Slay the first dragon Pies :twisted:
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Raw Hammer wrote:We beat them by 50 points on Mother’s Day. Expecting something similar.
GWS players who played rd9

C.Fleeton
N.Haynes
J.Peatling
X.O’Halloran
A.Cadman
R.Angwin

Players who didn’t play
T.Greene

Gonna be a s.hit fight
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

I think there will be only the 1 forced change Nick in for Adams. I wouldn’t be bringing in Carmichael or Macrae for a PF.

I would play Ginni is the 22 and start Lipinski as sub. McCreery can be used to assist JDG, Mitchell and Crisp through the middle and at stoppages.

Play Nick off HB and let him kick in the ball as much as possible use his run and carry out of the back half.

IQ is our best 1 on 1 defender, give him the job on Greene.

Josh was quiet last game so expecting a lift from him.

The one for me is JDG. Since his suspension has not ripped a game to shreds, time to put in a blinder Jordy and tear the Giants a new one.

We need to get the ball inside 50 up near 50 times to give us enough opportunities to kick a winning score.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

I wonder if Cox's mum and dad are here for the game. Big Mason seems to fire up when they are around
I think therefore I think - I think
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

I read somewhere that they would be here for the PF, staying on if we win to watch the GF.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Interestingly the last time we played and beat GWS it was with our smallest collection of structural talls for the year.

Round 9 vs GWS +65: Cox, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (5) + *McInnes 24% TOG

5 in the 22 last time is likely to be 7 this time.

Cameron, Cox, Howe, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy.

It probably wont dictate our selection next week however as GWS will have a better group of talls available this time with Taylor, Briggs and Riccardi included.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Yeah we lost in 2019. But we beat them in 2018.

Semi Final
Collingwood 3.6 4.9 6.12 9.15 69
Greater Western Sydney 0.2 4.2 7.3 9.5 59

Collingwood won by 10 pts
Att: 72,504 Venue: M.C.G.

Kick straight we win, kick points we lose. I like the centre square odds of Cox/Cameron vs their dudes, with or without Adams. These are two Richmond influenced teams by ex-coaches, it will be brisk.
Get back on top.
dmov73

Post by dmov73 »

Damien wrote:Quietly confident but this is the team that I didn’t want to play. They are playing with a ‘nothing to lose’ mentality which is dangerous. I hope we win and I hope the Blues do too. A Brisbane v GWS GF would be diabolical for Melbourne, but a Pies v Blues GF would be unfarkenbelievable!!
I think both teams should have a nothing to lose attitude. Because fact is they don’t.
Sometimes the good you do does you no good. Tony Soprano.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

The Age: Magpies to be on alert as Orange Tsunami rolls in

Collingwood v GWS, MCG, Friday, 7.50pm

"...Nick Daicos’ return will bolster the Pies, both spiritually and in the way they play. The Pies almost go out of their way to give the ball to the young star, confident he can open up the play with his vision and incisive kicking. The question is whether the Pies will throw Daicos straight into the guts in his first game in six weeks, or ease him into it across half-back."

(free article)
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blu ... 5e4wg.html
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

think better wrote:I wonder if Cox's mum and dad are here for the game. Big Mason seems to fire up when they are around
One of his brothers is already here, he was at training on Friday.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Its going to a tough game for sure. The Giants crushed Port but were assisted in that by Port's turgid game plan. Port kicked a lot of points in the last quarter but never looked like scoring as practically all of those were set shots from 55 - 30 metres and were mostly low percentage shots with little chance of scoring. It was obvious that's a forward drill for them as their forwards were presenting no options for them at all (what poor forward coaching - no wonder the fans want Hinkley gone). The Giants were good but Port made them look a bit better than they are.

We need to put some time into Callum Ward. GWS's version of Pendlebury created some important plays and linkages and Port gave him way too much latitude. GWS have a plethora of offensive options and we may need Noble back in to help deal with them. Let any off them of the leash and they will make us pay. I suspect this will be a week with lots of deliberation for the coaching team and football department for sure.
Last edited by Gerry Cooper on Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Going by how they’ve played the last 12 games and our typical style, it’s going to be a goal for goal shoot-out I reckon. Fast run, hand ball and quick penetrating kicks to leading forwards in open spaces. The complete opposite of Dees game.

With Tay out it’s either Noble in and slight reshuffle or Frampton in as swingman to stretch their offence and defence. No disrespect intended, but it’d be ludicrous bordering on madness to be even considering Finn McRae or anyone else for that matter to come in to the team now….can’t even stand out in VFL and we’d bring em in for a Prelim…that’s crazy talk.

Getting hands on the pill, fast handball run and carry and hitting the scoreboard hard and early is key. Sustained forward efficiency and pressure locking it in the F50 is paramount. The backs will do what they do…I don’t see GWS forwards getting as many easy shots as they did against Port.

Those calling for Lippy’s omission, although in some respects understandable, will be pleasantly surprised….this game and style of play is cookie-cutter perfect for him….expect him to have a massive night.

That said, although confident, I’m going to be as nervous as hell all week up until the first bounce, but Pies will prevail by 19 pts. Go Pies!!!!!!!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:If he plays we must target Briggs's shoulder, bump and niggle all night, he could not raise it above 90 degrees last night
If he's not fully fit, that'll help. He's had a breakout year for GWS.

But it's not his dominant side, is it? :?:
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Its time to peel the ORANGES, peel the pricks, good an proper.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Cam wrote:... I like the centre square odds of Cox/Cameron vs their dudes, with or without Adams. ...
:shock: Very optimistic... Their mids are flying. Cameron's been struggling. Briggs has been very good.

Just limiting the clearance damage will be a good result.