Murphy's Law / concussion discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Murphy cleared to play

Post by think better »

I think therefore I think - I think
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Great news. However, I still suspect he is more fragile and susceptible to a head knock than the average person and could be forced out early in another critical game. Hopefully I am wrong.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
BazBoy
Been liked: 28 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

And on my post re injury prevention head gear are they proven to absolutely
prevent concussion or other head trauma or not fully preventive
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Medical assessments on head gear say that head gear will not stop brain being thrust around on head impact.
Brain moving around excessive is what causes concussion.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times

Post by pietillidie »

Bucks5 wrote:Great news.

However, I still suspect he is more fragile and susceptible to a head knock than the average person and could be forced out early in another critical game. Hopefully I am wrong.
I suspect it's more the way he plays the game, which is brave to the point of reckless. You don't want him to lose the strengths that have won him a premiership, but hopefully with age and experience comes a bit more self- preservation.
I reckon Murph, Checkers and Jamie physically put themselves on the line more than any other players in the team, so Murph has now got a well-earned excuse for modifying his play somewhat.[/url]
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

it's good news, but I can't help but feel he's only 1 or 2 head knocks away from retirement and a potentially very ordinary middle age.
I hope like hell he can keep playing and go on to have a long healthy life outside footy, but the odds are against him.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bucks5
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Stopping some of his kamikaze heroics will go a long way.
I'd rather we give up the occasional goal to the opposition than for Nathan to develop a life long debilitating medical condition.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Great news that he has clarity and he can carry on playing.
Obviously the concern around concussion will linger for him for as long as he's playing.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Murphy's welfare is the number one priority.
Having said that, the AFL have cleared him to play.
I do not want him to change the way he plays one iota- and I think that his courage is instinctive so he would probably struggle to back out of contests.

Jonathan Brown, Angus Brayshaw, Paddy McCartin, David Parkin all seemed more susceptible to concussions than others- but, also, their courageous attack on the ball. (Parkin indicated on Open Mike that he had been concussed 27 times in his career at Hawthorn and over in Perth!!).

Even more important now that the Pies give Murphy all the practical support, he needs to eliminate the issue/s (difficult in such a high-velocity contact sport).
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Murphy was finally retired by the AFL Medical Panel made up of neurological experts on Saturday even as his brain scans continued to come up with no damage or deterioration.
Had he retired without that medical status the Pies might have not been able to exempt his 2025 wage from their salary cap.

Given the AFL Medical Panel medically retired Murphy, I'm interested to see if Clubs (please, leave the Collingwood hubris from the discussion) will be granted a concessional draft pick.

Murphy won't be the last player to be removed from a list under CTE protocols. Given the impact it places on a Clubs list, unless someone comes forward with a balanced and considered perspective as to why not, might we be the first Club to receive a concessional pick in light of the circumstances? Will we see Murphys Law invoked?
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

What are the AFL doing with Baryshaw?
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

What'sinaname wrote:What are the AFL doing with Baryshaw?
With regard to what?
Brayshaw cited advice from “medical professionals” as part of his explanation for his decision. From anything I have read previously there has no mention of the AFL Concussion Panel.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

John Platten, ex hawk champ , was concussed so often, now in middle age he can only use 40% of his brain, according to an interview he did not long ago.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BazBoy

Nathan Murphy and concussion

Post by BazBoy »

Nathan Murphy has set his sights on highlighting the effects of concussion
He says most days he has headache,s and there are days where he finds it hard to get out of bed

I have no idea where my future health will be

Players retire from concussion but if that’s the end result it’s grim

Best luck Murph from myself and I’d say all on Nicks