Pre-Match. Pies v. Cats. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:Pendles too slow for half back and Maynard too short for CHB. Kruger not a winger (why not play Reef in that position though my preference is for Reef to play HB - he has the attributes to play Howe's role.)
I think Reef changing starting up forward and working up into the wings and midfield at times could be a real asset for us. I wouldn't start him on the wing just yet until our forward structure woes are more settled however.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

I’ve never understood this obsession with posting teams on Nicks

Talking about injuries, replacements, form, team balance etc. great - love to read it

Just don’t get naming a full 25 with field positions. Pretty rare anyone gets it right and always some epic face plants in the process
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

At last some excellent news- Jamie Elliott back on Friday night.

Tempered, of course, by the loss of both Mihocek (6-7 weeks) and Howe (1 week).

Ins: McInnes, Noble and Elliott

Outs: Mihocek, Howe and possibly Markov or Dean...

With McStay back in the VFL and Cox training well today, the troops are on the way back..
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:I’ve never understood this obsession with posting teams on Nicks

Talking about injuries, replacements, form, team balance etc. great - love to read it

Just don’t get naming a full 25 with field positions. Pretty rare anyone gets it right and always some epic face plants in the process
I had Sav Rocca at FB for round 10, 1998. Thought it was time to try him in a new role.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
joemamone@gmail.com wrote:Pendles too slow for half back and Maynard too short for CHB. Kruger not a winger (why not play Reef in that position though my preference is for Reef to play HB - he has the attributes to play Howe's role.)
I think Reef changing starting up forward and working up into the wings and midfield at times could be a real asset for us. I wouldn't start him on the wing just yet until our forward structure woes are more settled however.
I get nervous when the club invests early on these 192 / 194cm hybrids. Most aren’t aren’t either flexible enough below their knees or strong enough in the air to hold a contested mark. I think a lot of clubs say “ well he’s tall, so we will find a spot for him somewhere in a couple years time”. Invariably, these guys don’t end up being particularly good at anything because they’re just ok at everything. Ruscoe was one ( albeit not an early pick ) started up forward, ended up down back and delisted shortly afterwards.
The club needs to make a decision on McInnes and Allan and focus on their development for the position they choose. Personally, I think McInnes is a forward ( career average of 1.5 goals per game. King twins both have career averages of 1.9 ) If the club thinks otherwise, that’s fine but leave him ( and Allan ) in one position and then develop and customise their training for that particular position.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

As with Howe like this can only happen to Collingwood cleared from the scans.
Train then miss the match anyway due to the same thing.
Why did he train then.
Should have just did his own thing today.
Poor injury managment happening all year.
Does a player like Howe really need to train anyway.
Just do some gym work.
Now he misses.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

Pies2016 wrote: The club needs to make a decision on McInnes and Allan and focus on their development for the position they choose.
The m only thing I would counter this with is are they better getting exposure in the 1's as a forward flanker, or grinding it out in the two's as a full forward (for example)? You need the position you want them to play in to be open for them to be selected in the firsts. I can accept if your young player is a key forward youre not going to play him as a full back, but I think there is merit in getting them exposure to the big time, and if that means playing them slightly out of position then I think its worthwhile.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your comment...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

At seaons end time to clear out the list cloggers Lipinski WHE etc...
We are good average players now just happen to be coached well.
Also this year feels like at Collingwood as a case of winning tattslotto 1st divison but becoming bank rupt in the same minute.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:At seaons end time to clear out the list cloggers Lipinski WHE etc...
We are good average players now just happen to be coached well.
Also this year feels like at Collingwood as a case of winning tattslotto 1st divison but becoming bank rupt in the same minute.

Your constant pessimism is very draining what a barrel of laughs you must be to live with. :roll: :roll: Lipinski and WHE have been outstanding lately, pitched right in, you are truly either a troll or total glass empty. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

piffdog wrote:
Pies2016 wrote: The club needs to make a decision on McInnes and Allan and focus on their development for the position they choose.
The m only thing I would counter this with is are they better getting exposure in the 1's as a forward flanker, or grinding it out in the two's as a full forward (for example)? You need the position you want them to play in to be open for them to be selected in the firsts. I can accept if your young player is a key forward youre not going to play him as a full back, but I think there is merit in getting them exposure to the big time, and if that means playing them slightly out of position then I think its worthwhile.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your comment...
All good and I get where you’re coming from. Because we have so many injuries, we possibly find ourselves in a position where any promoted players could / would be playing slightly out of position anyway. However, if we were to revert to all things equal at the selection table, it makes little sense to me when a player has been played in one position in the VFL and is then being asked to play an unfamiliar role at a higher level. Players like MacRae and Sullivan have been inside mids all their careers and still struggle at the higher grade, so the job doesn’t get any easier when you get the call up and are asked to play in an unfamiliar position.
There are supporters who automatically assume it’s a positive experience for any player whenever they are selected at the higher level. I guarantee a player will get more out of a good game in the VFL than not getting a touch in the AFL and that’s the balancing act all coaches have to consider at the selection table ( injuries aside )
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies2016
I get exactly what your saying
For mine McRae isn’t the player hoped for. He goes well in the VFL but it isn’t translating to AFL level. Sullivan seems 1 speed type player hardly build for the modern game.
For mine jury is still out on players like Richard’s (looks promising) Allan (limited exposure but like his size as a winger) Krueger (has the size but limited exposure) Bytel (limited exposure) TJ (looks likely due to athleticism) Harrison (confident he has it given time) Dean (looks more comfortable each game) Long (too early but like his size) Parker (limited time)
But given we will likely have to give these guys time to develop and get used to the pace of the AFL we will need to be smart how we stagger the departure of our veterans.
Of the list above I think we’ve got 3 or 4 players who will be like the WHE or Lipinski types who go about there business quietly but do a job each week.
Hopefully 1 or 2 turn into 200 game players
The guy I’m excited to see in the AFL is Demattia
I just looked the look of him
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Small-ball or something radical? How Pies could set up their forward line against Cats

“Jeremy Howe doesn't sound like he's going to be playing. There's no Brody Mihocek, no Dan McStay there’s no Mason Cox"... “Are they going to do something pretty radical in their front 50?"

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/11/ ... ward-line/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Presti35 wrote: I had Sav Rocca at FB for round 10, 1998. Thought it was time to try him in a new role.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Small-ball or something radical? How Pies could set up their forward line against Cats

“Jeremy Howe doesn't sound like he's going to be playing. There's no Brody Mihocek, no Dan McStay there’s no Mason Cox"... “Are they going to do something pretty radical in their front 50?"

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/11/ ... ward-line/
I have no doubt they will have a chat about it because if there’s one club you would try this ploy against, it would be Geelong. Their defence is very big and strong but that comes at the expense of speed and agility. Once again, our mids will have to be more forward of the ball than the coaches would ideally like because we have no key focal point. We will want the ball at ground level and that means outnumbering them around the ball forward of centre. The reaction to that is that our defence is once again left to win the ball back without much support. Don’t be surprised if we see a more “ one on one “ attitude in the back line tomorrow. You can’t ask your mids to be in two places at once, so reducing the need for the mids to fill holes down back is best resolved by the defence standing at the back shoulder of the Geelong forwards all evening. I expect to see something different but how that looks is the big question.
Stewart also starts as a mid these days. He doesn’t help them with clearances but he simply drops back behind the play and sets up as a loose. How Collingwood combat his role will also be very interesting.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Opposition Analysis...Damning data! As cats do, they're already licking their chops.

"Exploiting the Half Back Line. A regular trend has seen Collingwood concede uncontested possessions in their losses, with opposition half back flankers in particular taking advantage amassing plenty of disposals."

"Collingwood concede a large number of uncontested possessions and it has been a factor that has plagued them in their six losses this year. " ... "The Magpies have only won the uncontested possession count four times this year, losing it in all six of their losses by an average of 42 disposals."

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/159 ... ollingwood
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️