Pre-Match. Pies v. Hawks. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Hawks. All comments.

Post by piedys »

Haff wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:25 pm Very split predictions in this thread! Don’t often see it.
This is what happens when the team conditions you to losing, instead of winning.

Regardless of result, the DOG Maginness must get smashed for retribution from 2023.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^Don't worry Piedys. Bruzza will send that dog whimpering away with its tail between its legs.
I like our team selections. It is a far more balanced team.
I think last week we were overloaded with small forwards.

I have great confidence in our rehab team...McStay would not be selected if he were not ready.

Great video here of Dan's journey, from missing the Grand Final to his return tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXvdTX3hx4

Our midfield has been the glaring weakness, so selecting Sulli along with Ned is recognition of the need to send in and under gladiators to the contest.
Furthermore, Reef can also play midfield, and I think this is what will happen. I think Sulli will be sub, and Reef plays in the 22, as a forward/mid.

Howe will play in defence, where he belongs. Kreuger will interchange in ruck relief with Cameron. Hawthorn only has one ruck so Darcy can manage OK.

Not expecting miracles from Dan. Just a tall in the forward line who can thump the ball to ground level, where we have Jamie, Bobby and Joe R all swarming at ground level.

With the extra reinforcements in the midfield, maybe JDG can also spend time forward as well.

Every team comes pumped to play us on the G. But our season is on the line, and no one can doubt the mental toughness of our team. We'll dig deep tomorrow,
a) because this team never gives in, and
b) this team wants to celebrate Dan McStay's remarkable return.

Go Pies!!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

The McStay inclusion is an act of desperation from match committee. Hopefully it pays off, but I did anticipate him playing in the VFL for another week or two.

If we lose tomorrow, we're not playing finals. This is our last hope to stay in the hunt.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

lazzadesilva wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:57 am I remain convinced and fairly confident that we will win this by about 10 points. All to play for, this is the most important game we have had in quite awhile. Near full team minus 2 or 3. Not a certainty obviously but we have good chance of beating them.
can you make it twenty please? my heart cant take it!!!

Oh and good to see McStay is still breathing!!!! woohoooo im excited!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Cox isnt your typical tall KP forward, and whilst Kreuger isn't Locket, we may actually see 2 big genuine big KP forwards lining up ..quite the shock for Collingwood eye's.

I reckon it will be Mcinnes sub again, I have a feeling Ned Long is going to have his best game for us against his old side.

Hill has been quiet, and with our backs to the wall, he likes to lift for big games. Gf aside, something I've noticed.

That goes for a few others too.. but form isn't on tap.

Big day tomorrow..and not just for 4 points.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

^Hey Jezza.
I think that take on it is very pessimistic, and not supported by empirical evidence.
The history of our rehab team is that we only bring players in when they are ready.
Also, playing McStay with doubtful fitness would be no better than playing Frampton in the same role., and risking McStay as well.
We have selected him because he is ready to play the role that has been assigned to him.
I think his role will be primarily adding much needed structure in our forward line. He is a legitimate tall target who can bring the ball to ground, and he will divert Hawthorn's best tall defender, giving Kreuger a look in (and potentially Reef who will be hovering in our forward line as well).
I am confident in the integrity of this selection.
I think we have enormous motivation to win tomorrow:
a) As you said, we don't play finals otherwise
b) Dan's return is an occasion for celebration, and for a memorable performance.
We know, also from empirical evidence, that this team has mental courage in spades.
I feel very optimistic about our prospects for tomorrow.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Don't think McInnes will be the sub. He can also play midfield, so I think he will play in the 22 sometimes in midfield, and sometimes forward. Sulli the sub to my way of thinking.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpietothemax wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:43 pm ^Hey Jezza.
I think that take on it is very pessimistic, and not supported by empirical evidence.
I understand the pushback against my comments, MTTM.

However, I'm not sure this is the case this year with regard to our fitness and conditioning team. For example, Mihocek's hamstring injury earlier in the season being a case in point. He sustained a hamstring injury against Carlton and missed only two weeks which was shorter than expected for a typical hamstring injury. He then returned against Fremantle in the drawn match and re-injured the same hamstring which meant further weeks on the sidelines again. You could argue he was rushed back in prematurely in those circumstances.

Going by what I've heard, McStay's recovery and rehabilitation has been excellent and faster than expected for a typical ACL injury so I can't fault anyone for getting him back out on the park as fast as they have. I just think his VFL performance last week probably warranted another week or two in the reserves. However, given our downturn in form I think the club has been keen to fast track his return ASAP.

I always have a feeling of trepidation against Hawthorn because of our poor H2H record against them over the years. Hopefully, the playing group can buck the trend and turn the tide back in our favour. We need a big win somewhere to give us that spark that made us an excellent team in 2022-23.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Yes, Checkers quick return and re-injury was a glitch.
But it is the only one, so could have been the result also of misfortune.
Don't think that one example is enough to throw out the historical record.
Understand the feeling of trepidation... I experience this as well.
But the mental capabilities of our team are immense...
We have not lived up to what we hoped this year due to the massive injury crisis..
But tomorrow, we will go into the game with the strongest team for several weeks.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

It's all about our midfield. If we can win, or at least even up centre clearances, we will win this one. For that reason I'd prefer to see both Sullivan and Long start, with McInnes as the sub. With Krueger, McStay, and JDG (mostly) along with Elliott up forward, we should have plenty of attacking marking power. What we need is strengthening of our in and under midfield set-up. They may not be stars, but I think both Sullivan and Long have the necessary physicality and work ethic required to assist us in this vital area of the game. Pies by 17 pts.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Expectations have taken a bit of a nosedive in recent weeks but I'm feeling fairly optimistic about this game. I don't think any other team has 'owned' us in recent decades quite like these mongrels, geez it would be nice to give them a good old flogging. My dislike of the dawks is slowly getting to carlscum and bummer levels, c'mon Pies!
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

think positive wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:38 pm
can you make it twenty please? my heart cant take it!!!
😎 Happy to compromise and make it 11 points 😝 it will be a heart stopper but we should salute. My gut feeling is still there for a close fought win. Here’s hoping 🤞
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Have been looking forward to this game even more so than previous weeks…since the bye we’ve been lacking the will and want to win which has been a strength and considerable hallmark of this side for the last several seasons. Today will tell us where the Mighty Pies are really at and if the back-to-back flame still flickers.

But we haven’t been the team we’ve been for the previous several seasons this year. There may be many reasons for this but the main one is not personnel or game plan (even though this influences the former immensely)…what has caused this slide and eventual three consecutive losses is psychological.

We scrambled, rumbled, and clawed our way to eventually limping into the bye after practically scraping the bottom of the reserves barrel (the boot studder almost got a run) undermanned and exhausted. After two gruelling and extremely taxing (albeit successful) seasons our game style was taking its toll and the opposition was outdoing us with what made us great. But we were equal second on the ladder. In hindsight an awesome achievement considering the start and constant injuries to key players. The lesser lights really stood up (mostly) and there was a glimmer of hope and expectation we’d come out firing after the break with the return of some of our big guns and march on to a top two finish. And this is what I believe has impacted results since…the team was compensating for the lack of talent and experience with grit and grunt and the will to win…but when some of our stars started filtering back in, subconsciously a majority of players downed tools and started withdrawing into themselves, stepping aside if you will, and retreated back into role player mode. Some of our established core players also seemed to just expect other to take the lead. Hence, why we find ourselves in a do or die game with our bogey team (3 wins in the last 17 games) desperate for a win on a cold grey Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, as others have mentioned the key to victory is what we do when we don’t have the sherrin. The forward group have to work hard to lock the ball in and not waste opportunities (yes looking at you Bobby Hill), the mids will need to work hard both ways and tackle the likes of Newcombe, Worpel, and Nash into submission. If we allow them to get possessions at will and drive the ball forward taking ground we are toast. Our passing coming out of the backline and general disposal efficiency all over the ground has to improve by at least 25% (yes I’m looking at you Josh Daicos). Stop trying to hit the cute dinky low percentage pass and take the first option. Our backs have been maligned all season but there isn’t a group who could’ve done any better with the crap being dished out up field. Perhaps a little more accountability and marking up might help.

Last time round Tommy Mitchell was huge…he’s not there today so someone has to stand up (I’m looking at you Neddy Long…time to shine). DeGoey was irrepressible then also but sadly he’s been a shadow of his former self. Pendles was subbed out at half time with injury. We were good early but they came at us hard in the latter stages of the game. Hardwick and a few other played out of their skins posting career PB’s. Sicily, Amon, and Impey cut us up so we have to stop these three at the very least if we’re going to be any chance.

That said I’m feeling relatively confident…Pies to hold on after a flourish by the dorks to win by 7 pts.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

sitting level 4 lucky gate 1 but wow, had no idea we had to get tickets this way, is this the only game?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I wonder what we will do this time if Hawthorn adopt the kick-mark possession game?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�