Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Post by GreekLunatic »

I think we better coming from behind then holding leads i am so happy Sarge had a good last quarter with all the crap he has copped. At least Friday has some meaning too now
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Darcy Cameron take a bow….that was one of the best performances from a Collingwood big man in the last decade!
- Side By Side -
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:46 am
qldmagpie67 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:53 am
Pies4shaw wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:54 am So, exactly how many Brownlow Medals does a bloke have to win before he's good enough to get a kick against Sidebottom?

22 with 2 goals won’t get him 3 votes for sure
But 26 touches with only 6 effective disposals (including 4 turnovers which led directly to goals) won’t get you any votes either
You don't watch the game, do you?

Sidebottom made him look like a dribbling idiot, all game. It's no wonder it's a mystery to you how Steele has played 330 games. Even the Collingwood-hating commentators managed a grudging "Sidebottom has been huge all day" as he set up yet another forward thrust in the last quarter. It was a masterful performance and it's deeply troubling that you can't recognize it.
Please don’t embarrass yourself anymore
I just rewatched the game
Collingwood rotated players through Neale Ashcroft Dunkley Raynor McCluggage all day
At different times at the centre bounce Sidey had Raynor the next time Neale then next time Ashcroft
Lions tried to get the match ups on there terms but we managed to keep them on our most of the day
Case in point Neale’s first goal came when he was on Pendles and tackled Pendles inside forward 50
You blindly watch through 1 eye and only see what you want to see
22 and 2 goals isn’t a bad return (it’s close to what Nick D had so I wouldn’t call it dribbling idiot performance)
As I said the TEAM did a good job on there entire midfield during the game it wasn’t one player
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Thought we won this game in the coaches box. It’s very unusual for Fly to set so many players tasks, as opposed to just trusting them to win their usual positions. The Sidey / Neale match up was pivotal, I thought both had their moments but Steele did an admirable job considering it was he who was taken out of his comfort zone on the wing. Jaicos / Raynor was a masterstroke ( particularly early) This is how you stop a quality player, by putting another quality player on him and making a lazy Raynor accountable for Josh. The other great move was allowing WHE to slide in behind Harris all day and totally confuse Harris with his positioning. Harris was caught out repeatedly minding grass between McStay and WHE and I reckon other coaches will follow suit.
Now seems like the time to praise WHE for his footy smarts. If we ever develop a stat to measure game day nous, he would lead our club on most days. He is easily our most underrated player, given the different roles he successfully executes every week.
Also very happy for Shultz to finally make a difference on a big stage ( albeit he influenced the North outcome also ) We’ve invested heavily in him and sometimes when it’s not happening, you just need a couple important moments, for it to all turn around. That won’t amount to much for this season but if he can close out another strong performance in the last round, that’s the best preparation he can have for 2025.
Well done to all involved on the day. Super win.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
RatsaK
Been liked: 3 times

Post by RatsaK »

Best game by far for John Noble. He seems to have worked really hard on his disposals to hit targets rather than turn the ball over.
The Mighty Pies - Side by Side
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

Just watched the full match replay

For the game Lions led for some 117 minutes
Us for 2 minutes
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Prometheus
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Prometheus »

I'd like to think that this win, as well us beating them in last year's final is karmic justice for us getting screwed by them in the early 2000's.

:D
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

I was critical for Fly fanboying Petracca this week but it is great to see him fanboying Naicos today.

The IQ tackle, Schultz goals. Cameron’s ruck work, Beau’s snap and then everyone’s defensive efforts should all be celebrated though.

I think the IQ tackle will be replayed a few times. It’s another one of those big moments over these last 3 years
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Prometheus wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:35 pm I'd like to think that this win, as well us beating them in last year's final is karmic justice for us getting screwed by them in the early 2000's.
Ther Karma Bus might still have a few stops to make on it's 2024 route yet!
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

woodys_world69 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:33 pm hopefully that last Quarter from Schulz really helps him feel at home now... the media monkey is off the back
Was not JUST the meida, it as some of the numbnuts on here, who bagged him mercilessly, always comparing him to that juvenile brat Ginni, I hope they are washing copious amounts off egg off their faces. Lochie just needed time to settle in, same s McStay did, exactly the same, and Mcstay got us into a GF. As for the Lions, ol Granpa Fagan has a team that just cannot handle the MCG, this match proved it beyond doubt, and they just blew top four. ! Thanks Collingwood , great victory on my birthday, you gave me the best birthday present ever ! :D :D
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Black and White Lion
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

A few other observations from yesterday.
- Naicos disposal efficiency was up to 60% and 9 score involvements
- Jaicos metres gained over 500m.
- Sidey and Cameron 6 clearances each, 437m and 330m gained respectively.

And last but not least the pies back 6 went at above 80% disposal efficiency whilst the lions were below 70% on average.

I know we’ve all struggled watching the pies zone defence this year and a few of the players form struggles but it’s clear to me now that we really focussed on our ball movement out of defence this week hence the inclusion of Parker over Richards and the defence executed well albeit with a some help from the lions not taking their opportunities.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Piesnchess wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:38 pm always comparing him to that juvenile brat Ginni ....
That could be because "that juvenile brat Ginni" has, conservatively, about twice the talent Schultz does. Really, though - you need to stop bagging other people who criticise the Club's recruiting - I am very pleased for Schultz but that doesn't mean the people who emptied Ginnipig out and got Schultz on board are vindicated. It just means those decisions didn't cost us yesterday's match. Of course, it isn't Schultz's fault re was recruited - the comments are actually not directed at him. Finally, you should feel free to go back and look at the replay of the Hawthorn game we lost dismally a few weeks ago if you want to understand why a number remain disappointed about the decision to dump one of the most talented players on our 2023 list.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:57 pm I was critical for Fly fanboying Petracca this week but it is great to see him fanboying Naicos today.

The IQ tackle, Schultz goals. Cameron’s ruck work, Beau’s snap and then everyone’s defensive efforts should all be celebrated though.

I think the IQ tackle will be replayed a few times. It’s another one of those big moments over these last 3 years

It reminded me of Dale Thomas tackle on Cyril Rioli in 2011.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Ginni will be playing finals again this year & the Hawks will be Premiers (not this year but then again who knows with the comp so even) especially if they keep playing as they are.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:54 pm
Piesnchess wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:38 pm always comparing him to that juvenile brat Ginni ....
That could be because "that juvenile brat Ginni" has, conservatively, about twice the talent Schultz does. Really, though - you need to stop bagging other people who criticise the Club's recruiting - I am very pleased for Schultz but that doesn't mean the people who emptied Ginnipig out and got Schultz on board are vindicated. It just means those decisions didn't cost us yesterday's match. Of course, it isn't Schultz's fault re was recruited - the comments are actually not directed at him. Finally, you should feel free to go back and look at the replay of the Hawthorn game we lost dismally a few weeks ago if you want to understand why a number remain disappointed about the decision to dump one of the most talented players on our 2023 list.

Horseshit , a juvenile brat who did sweet FA in the GF, did nothing jack shit, zilch, went to the races pre night of the GF, even my two sons who played in U 15s GFs, went to bed early pre their GF. Then he decked himself out in jocky silks, to pour crap on our Coach, on the mad Monday, total disrepect for our Coach, and ask Mc Stay about his childish antics in toilet blocks. Twice the talent, what utter crap that is. Get real.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.