What made you sad today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Hearing that Danny Frawley died today in a single car accident, went off road into a tree.

It may have just been a horrible accident but given his revelations on his mental health battle, I can't but help assume it was less than an accident.

If you're driving at speed, all it takes is a flick of the wrist on the steering wheel and you're not in a position to change your mind. 2-3 seconds of contemplation and Bang. I've had that thought go through my brain unbidden more than once over the years, just never flicked the wrist.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Ill just say RIP Danny, and thanks for the memories. no need to speculate, so damn hard for the family, when you get that call, and they are not coming home, no goodbye....so sad. seemed like a really nice guy.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I've deliberately avoided reading most of the eulogies, if you're going to say nice things about someone, don't wait til they're dead.

But, the coverage on 7 news tonight made specific mention of his mental health issues and also mentioned the Police wouldn't be including it in the road toll statistics. Looks like my speculation was on the mark. :(
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

A tragedy and a shock.

Danny Frawley's suicide is very sad indeed: Chip LeGrands article in the Age today talks about his stressors: Money (failed investment); relationship (marriage having ended) and his role with the coaching association during the Essendon doping scandal & the huge personal toll it took on him from the subsequent fallout.

Very sad for all those involved: family and friends especially.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dan ... 52pms.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The young woman who made the headlines after getting engaged to a Magistrate she worked for, who was 40+ years her senior has died.

Hit by a car at 1am, driver of the car stopped to render assistance. No mention of charges, just that the coroner will prepare a report then at the end of the article the usual referrals about mental health.

Join the dots. :(
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

A sad turn of events.

I can only imagine she was a bit of troubled soul to begin with given her relationship with someone old enough to be her grandfather.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

The devasting fires in NSW - 3 dead now, so many brave firefighters injured and hundreds of critters with nowhere to go to escape burnt to death or horribly injured :cry:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I hope there's a real review into the forestry practices and whether ground fuel was cleared either by controlled burning or other means.

Dry grass burns hot but quick, you need ground fuel to set a forest ablaze. If it's allowed to accumulate, this is what happens.
think positive

Post by think positive »

You can donate towards the care if injured wildlife here, it’s tax deductible

https://mkc.org.au/donations/trcqld

And yes I did
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

think positive wrote:You can donate towards the care if injured wildlife here, it’s tax deductible

https://mkc.org.au/donations/trcqld

And yes I did
Thanks for that - we donated to the Koala Hospital in Port Maquarie but will find a bit more for these folks too - devasting losses :cry:
think positive

Post by think positive »

Do you by any chance have a name for the koala hospital? I can spare a bit more too, koalas are just so, I don’t know, loveable, and so vulnerable, we have to save them, cheers
watt price tully

Using live possums for greyhound training. FFS close this barbarism down. We don’t need greyhound racing & while we’re at it close down horse racing. Give the cruel animal gambling industry 5-7 years to wind down then get rid of it.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-11- ... fmredir=sm
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

think positive wrote:Do you by any chance have a name for the koala hospital? I can spare a bit more too, koalas are just so, I don’t know, loveable, and so vulnerable, we have to save them, cheers
I do indeed - https://www.koalahospital.org.au

Did you see this? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/ ... e/11693936

What wonderful people!!!!!