Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

roar wrote:Ha, good one Hal!

Every year there are "experts" condemning Hine and the recruiters for not picking who they believe should have picked, and more often than not, they are proven wrong.

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave the new recruits a few years to establish whether it was a good choice or not, but no, these "experts" know it all before the kids have even pulled on the black and white stripes.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to change and people continue posting uniformed and ignorant comments.
I am quite sure he was joking when he suggested that we re-draft Gault.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

Every year there are "experts" condemning Hine and the recruiters for not picking who they believe should have picked, and more often than not, they are proven wrong.

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave the new recruits a few years to establish whether it was a good choice or not, but no, these "experts" know it all before the kids have even pulled on the black and white stripes.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to change and people continue posting uniformed and ignorant comments.
Not necessarily. https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/in-fo ... b88860199z
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

As soon as I saw Stewart was dropped, I thought of nicks.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

It's not the Gault comment I was referring to but rather, most of the posts on the first pages in this thread and almost any other thread about recruitment. Remember the outrage at choosing Pendlebury at 5? Or how about the abuse Hine copped for choosing Sier with a pick in the 30s?
kill for collingwood!
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

You can all take pot shots at Stewart if you like, but who do we have better at the moment, of his height, agility and abilty getting a regular game?

Moore might be better, if he ever stays fit.
Mihocek may be very good, but has only had the one game.

It was a very poor recruiting move not to recruit him with the pick we got for Cloke, that WE NEVER USED.
Jatsad - That is all
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

jatsad wrote:You can all take pot shots at Stewart if you like, but who do we have better at the moment, of his height, agility and abilty getting a regular game?

It was a very poor recruiting move not to recruit him with the pick we got for Cloke, that WE NEVER USED.
There's a slight problem with your story Bro. Collingwood DID approach Stewart and GWS, but HE CHOSE to go to Essendon.

The fact we had a pick we didn't use is utterly fkn irrelevant, he CHOSE essendon., it wasn't a poor recruiting move at all

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 44db54bcad
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

And just to hammer the point home, we DID use the pick we got for cloke. Pick 76.

We traded that pick to Brisbane, along with our 2017 3rd round pick and Jack Frost, in exchange for Brisbane's 2017 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

Clearly stocking up on points in case we needed to match bids for Daicos and Brown.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

stui magpie wrote:
jatsad wrote:You can all take pot shots at Stewart if you like, but who do we have better at the moment, of his height, agility and abilty getting a regular game?

There's a slight problem with your story Bro. Collingwood DID approach Stewart and GWS, but HE CHOSE to go to Essendon.

The fact we had a pick we didn't use is utterly fkn irrelevant, he CHOSE essendon., it wasn't a poor recruiting move at all

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 44db54bcad
He chose Essendon because his old man was upset we didn't initially draft him under f/s.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Whatever his reason, saying it was a poor recruiting decision not to get him when he left GWS when we tried and he chose another club, is just dead set stupid and completely ignorant of the facts.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

We chose not to take him father/son because we didn't feel he was worth the draft pick. Tick from me.

We approached him to see if we could get him for around what he's worth, almost nothing, but he chose Essendon instead. I'm comfortable with that, backup level talls are not hard to find.

We've been smart over the last couple of years in moving out talls that aren't quite good enough. Bringing in more would have been a step backwards. Those players should come in on minimum pay, like Mihocek. Essendon made a mistake in signing him and an even bigger one in over playing him, he's seriously hurt them.
Well done boys!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Oh I get it. Very interesting.
Invigoration

Post by Invigoration »

List clogger
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Mihocek may be very good, but has only had the one game...
Stewart would be getting a game ahead of Mihocek on his mobility in and around F50
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

^^So, as our 4th choice tall forward? Huge recruitment failure.

In my view, neither are first choice AFL standard. They're backup players and I don't really care who we have in that role as long as they are being paid very little. Mihocek definitely ticks that box.

Edit: will add that Mihocek may actually be our 5th choice tall forward. McClarty was injured when he was selected and if he's not ahead of him he soon will be.
Well done boys!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

AN_Inkling wrote:^^So, as our 4th choice tall forward? Huge recruitment failure.

In my view, neither are first choice AFL standard. They're backup players and I don't really care who we have in that role as long as they are being paid very little. Mihocek definitely ticks that box.

Edit: will add that Mihocek may actually be our 5th choice tall forward. McClarty was injured when he was selected and if he's not ahead of him he soon will be.
I'm hoping McLarty comes on in 2019 and becomes that tall marking forward that we lack, as well as a good backup ruckman which unfortunately, Dawes was not able to do. If McLarty can do that we won't need Tom Lynch, Cox or Reid in the side.