Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

Post by Jen2310 »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:27 am Hey @Jen2310 did you get to the metro qld futures game on Sunday and what did you see?
Yeah, I was there. I'm sure Rookie Me Draft Central will put up a scouting report in coming days. QLD were very good, though Vic Metro did trim the margin in the last Q.
Here is a complilation of footage I put up from Tommy from the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZIxG8P5qu0

He had some nice moments.
Has really quick hands, demands the ball, good user too.

As for Zac. Moves well for a big boy. Did some ruck work as well. Some nice skills. This was his first game at this level, so it would have been a good exposure and learning experience for him.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Jen2310 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:28 pm Here is a complilation of footage I put up from Tommy from the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZIxG8P5qu0
^Interesting action with his arms (particularly his left) when Tommy kicks long. Maybe helps him keep his head over the ball? Thanks for the video footage.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

SLORT wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:59 pm ^Interesting action with his arms (particularly his left) when Tommy kicks long. Maybe helps him keep his head over the ball? Thanks for the video footage.
I feel like Nick does something similar in his kicking action.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He seems to have great balance and good kicking skills like his old man. Although relatively short, he looks like he will be reasonably solid, and looks strong in the hips. Mick McGuane is often overlooked by many, but he was one of the best players to ever don the black and white. Unfortunately his last 2-3 yrs were negatively impacted by on-going groin injuries. On a funny note, I'll never forget the day at Vic Park when the docs gave him pain killing injections before the game, and it resulted in his kicking leg being completely numb, to the point that every time he tried to kick the ball, it simply dribbled off his foot to the ground. The whole crowd were in hysterics. I also remember driving back from spending Easter in Adelaide with my family, leaving at 5 am (my wife, at the time was not happy) on the Monday, to get to the MCG in time for the game against Carlton, and being privileged to witness Mickey McGuane's incredible 7 bounce run and goal! I have a feeling young Tommy could be another Nick Daicos. Here's hoping.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

[/quote]
Yeah, I was there.
[/quote]

Thanks Jen much appreciated
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

Someone identified one of the other kids in that photo I posted.

Apparantely its this kid.
https://x.com/7Sport/status/1781199728148967525

He's U15 kid that plays with Fraser's son Tom at Ashburton.

A multicode. Sprint runner.

Top 3 in the 100 metre and 200 metre sprint at the athletics championships last two years.

Must be a new member of our NGA.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
Geezus, he'd be even quicker if he used his arms properly
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Looks like he’s got Fly traits already hitting the front just in time
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-uXGJrzTKI/?img_index=1

Baseline pumping tommy up to be a potential top 5
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
That’s excellent info, Jen. I had been wondering where McGuane had been predicted to be called out in the 2025 draft. There’s a lot can change between now and then but clearly, he’s very highly regarded and that won’t likely change in the next 12 months with another year of development behind him. From a draft strategy point, should Tom be called at around pick # 5 odd, I imagine the club would still presumably trade out its first round pick. Having done that, it shouldn’t be overly difficult to then accumulate the points required to secure him with a number of later selections.
The new F /S rules come in next year, so he won’t come cheap but I would imagine we could still get it done easily enough without the use of our first round pick ( albeit, the new finalised DVI table is yet to be finalised ) The club will be all over it, so for mine, it’s more about just how we go about utilising our 2025 first rounder elsewhere, while securing Tom at the same time.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

2nd last CTL game:

Tommy McGuane - 28 disposals, 6 marks, 3 inside 50's
Tadhg McCarthy - 16 disposals, 6 marks, 5 rebound 50's
Zac McCarthy: 11 disposals, 7 marks, 7 hitouts, 7 rebound 50's
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Jen2310 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:39 pm 2nd last CTL game:

Tommy McGuane - 28 disposals, 6 marks, 3 inside 50's
Tadhg McCarthy - 16 disposals, 6 marks, 5 rebound 50's
Zac McCarthy: 11 disposals, 7 marks, 7 hitouts, 7 rebound 50's
Thanks Jen. You obviously have your finger on the pulse. Are you hearing anything about Collingwoods plans ( or not ) for selecting Tadgh McCarthy and / or Luke Quaynor as NGA prospects in the coming draft ?
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Pies2016 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:51 pm ^^^
From a draft strategy point, should Tom be called at around pick # 5 odd, I imagine the club would still presumably trade out its first round pick. Having done that, it shouldn’t be overly difficult to then accumulate the points required to secure him with a number of later selections.
The new F /S rules come in next year, so he won’t come cheap but I would imagine we could still get it done easily enough without the use of our first round pick ( albeit, the new finalised DVI table is yet to be finalised ) The club will be all over it, so for mine, it’s more about just how we go about utilising our 2025 first rounder elsewhere, while securing Tom at the same time.
For 2025, the main changes will be:
  • The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

Pies2016 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:39 am
Are you hearing anything about Collingwoods plans ( or not ) for selecting Tadgh McCarthy and / or Luke Quaynor as NGA prospects in the coming draft ?
Haven't heard. We'll know closer to the draft once it gets revealed who (if any) the club nominates as selections. None of the players will be high picks so very late or rookie possibilities.