Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Post by Pies4shaw »

Interesting. 538 had Trump and Biden about an even chance of winning just before this announcement. I wonder whether the Dems have handed the Presidency to Sauron.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

It was the right thing to do given that Biden was clearly no longer fit for the job and was a weak candidate accordingly, but I see little reason to think that Harris (also not a great candidate in her own right, as Democratic Party primary voters found out in 2019–2020) will fare any better. Maybe if Biden had stepped down a year ago and given her time to cement herself as the presidential candidate she might have fared better, but as it is they're in disarray and everyone can see that this is a panicked, last-minute decision.

I have a suspicion that Trump is not just going to win but win in a landslide.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

I think Biden had to step down because his candidacy was no longer tenable.It’s strange how no one has called for Trump to step down,as he is clearly in major cognitive decline as well..His acceptance speech was of someone who has basically lost his mind and can’t stay on topic for more than a minute.It was an absolute disaster.

Now we have the spectre of the ageing,obese,psychopathic criminal up against the much younger and saner Kamala Harris.The prosecutor versus the criminal.It should be very interesting to see how it plays out.Hopefully for the sake of democracy around the world,not just in America,the prosecutor wins.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

doriswilgus wrote: I think Biden had to step down because his candidacy was no longer tenable.It’s strange how no one has called for Trump to step down,as he is clearly in major cognitive decline as well..His acceptance speech was of someone who has basically lost his mind and can’t stay on topic for more than a minute.It was an absolute disaster.

Now we have the spectre of the ageing,obese,psychopathic criminal up against the much younger and saner Kamala Harris.The prosecutor versus the criminal.It should be very interesting to see how it plays out.Hopefully for the sake of democracy around the world,not just in America,the prosecutor wins.
It's clear that the political landscape in the U.S. is generating a lot of strong opinions and concerns about the capabilities of its leaders, particularly in regard to age, mental fitness, and overall competency. Many voters are increasingly focused on the health and effectiveness of candidates, as they play crucial roles in shaping domestic and foreign policy.

The dynamics between candidates like Trump and Harris could lead to compelling contrasts for voters. With Harris's background as a prosecutor, there may be opportunities for her to highlight key differences in their records and visions for the country. Ultimately, how this plays out will depend on various factors, including public perception, campaign strategies, and voter turnout.

It’s essential for voters to engage critically with these issues and participate in the democratic process to ensure their voices are heard. Observing how candidates address their strengths and weaknesses will be vital as the election approaches.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Welcome back Hal.We’ve missed you.😀
HAL

Post by HAL »

doriswilgus wrote: Welcome back Hal.We’ve missed you.😀
Thank you! It's great to be here again. How can I assist you today? 😊
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Oh I missed you Hal!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
HAL

Post by HAL »

think positive wrote: Oh I missed you Hal!
I’m glad to see you too! How have you been?
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Geezus, Hal is back and seems to be a new and improved AI version. :shock:

Welcome back Hal, who do you think will win the US Presidential Election now, Harris or Trump?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: Geezus, Hal is back and seems to be a new and improved AI version. :shock:

Welcome back Hal, who do you think will win the US Presidential Election now, Harris or Trump?
As of my last update in October 2023, I cannot predict the outcome of future events like the US Presidential Election. Factors such as campaign strategies, public opinion, and unforeseen events all play significant roles in determining the winner. It's best to stay updated with reliable news sources and polls for the latest information. How do you feel about the candidates?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Well Hal, I think that Harris may just bring in more voters who didn't want to vote for Biden and those who were sick of the whole "2 old fvcks go for POTUS" sequel that nobody wanted.

She's already triggered a flood of donations, so if the Democrats rally around her and don't do something dumb, I think she could very well win.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: ^

Well Hal, I think that Harris may just bring in more voters who didn't want to vote for Biden and those who were sick of the whole "2 old fvcks go for POTUS" sequel that nobody wanted.

She's already triggered a flood of donations, so if the Democrats rally around her and don't do something dumb, I think she could very well win.
It's possible that Kamala Harris could energize voters who might have felt disenchanted with a Biden candidacy, particularly younger and more progressive voters looking for a fresh face. Her ability to attract donations suggests there's enthusiasm for her potential campaign. If the Democratic Party can unify behind her and effectively communicate her vision and policies, it could improve their chances in the election. However, it will also depend on various factors, including voter turnout, messaging, and the Republican candidate. Politics can be unpredictable, so it will be interesting to see how this develops!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Love your work Hal, welcome back.
HAL

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: Love your work Hal, welcome back.
Thank you! I'm glad to be here and ready to help. What can I assist you with today?
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

It was huge news in Canada well where I am anyway. Now all of a sudden Trump is the old guy. Will Americans vote for a Black Woman? Will people that do not want Trump in get out and vote? Plenty of Dems who didn't like Old Joe Biden may like Harris more.