Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It’s pretty $@&^# up here, didn’t even know we had a creek down the street till yesterday
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Mum is in Mooroopna.
One of my sisters picked her up this afternoon, so she is staying with family in Shepp.

In the 1974 floods water was just under the house.
Expected to go higher this time, hopefully it won’t get in.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

74 was higher than now in the Murray at least. I can't find data before December 74, but I remember in late 74 the water was at the top of the Levee bank and teams of people were playing sandbags.

The Levee has been raised since then, the level is currently at 6.2m at Toc. The highest it's been since January 75 is 7.4m in October 75, 7.3m in October 2016 and October 1993.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Levels expected to go higher than 74 in Shepp and Mooroopna.
Peak sometime today.

Some areas that were farmland or bush in 74 are now housing & built up so that may have an effect on how the water moves through the area.

Mum was cross about not being able to come down to Melbourne for the red headed chicks 21st family gathering tomorrow. She is upset that water may get into the house - she has lived there for 50+ years - but realises everything can be replaced.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Just heard back from 2 of my close friends who still live up there.

Both are OK, live closer to the main street in Mooroopna than mum so that part of town is OK so far.

Both are organised, got valuables of the ground, sandbagging and have somewhere to go, worst case. One of my friends hubby has the boat, out ready to go if needed.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Many of those new houses are likely in flood prone areas and flood insurance up there is ridiculously expensive.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Water is rising slower then in 74 but looks like mums house may get water inside as peak expected to be higher than 74.

One of the pubs is already flooded, Royal Mail which is managed by my brother in laws cousin.

One of my friends left her home this morning - with her 2 dogs - to stay with friends in Ardmona, which is a little further away from the flood zone.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yeah, it's not looking pretty, I was planning on going up to Toc next weekend, going to have to delay that it seems unless I want to go via Albury.
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Reports of looters in Maribyrnong. Lowlifes.

One of mum neighbours who stayed, is keeping tabs on mums house and other neighbours. He said he has a boat and a gun, just in case.
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Just got a Txt from one of my friends, her place flooded 2 foot of water throughout. She is now on higher ground in another part of town.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Hopefully neither boat nor gun will be required, seems like the river has peaked at Shep below what they were expecting and the worst is behind them. For now.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Good people are amazing in bad times, and bad people even worse in bad times. Shoot em!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Deliberately targeting flooded homes to steal stuff = cnuts act. Shooting is too good for them.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Interesting defence by the alleged rapist of Brittany Higgins.

While I'm inclined to believe Ms Higgins version of events if any doubt had arisen it would to me have been more plausible if he claimed the sexual act was a consensual one between two very drunk people.

So either he's telling the truth or is lying through his teeth and believes that by taking the unusual defence that the sexual act never happened (instead of the usual course of it being consensual) will convince at least a few jurors that it's such a brazen denial that it might well be true and provide reasonable doubt.

Strange logic but some people are strange so perhaps his legal team thought a hail Mary defence was his only chance.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange