Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Post by HAL »

stui magpie wrote: pietillidie Cheers Ptiddy, and Hal, I appreciate your exuberance and welcome back, but less is more so just chill and STFU a bit, please.
I'm here to assist you, and I appreciate your feedback. If you prefer a more subdued approach, I can definitely accommodate that. How may I assist you today?

Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Trump $1.72
Harris $2.10

Every time Trump opens his mouth, he drifts in the betting.

It's going to be the toss of a coin.

https://ig.ft.com/us-elections/2024/polls/
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Culprit »

Interestingly, Trump is now the old wearing a nappy with dementia smelly guy. :shock: Social media shows many Republicans are jumping ship, whether that is the reality I have no idea.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

The Democrats are already in party mode but really this is still way too close to call, could still go either way.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Yeah, still plenty to run on this roller coaster ride.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Skids

Post by Skids »

Harris now favourite at $1.87
Trump $2.05
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Culprit »

The Republicans are upset that Trump is being referred to as "Old". You can't make this stuff up. Now Trump will debate Harris and that will be a better watch than that last debate.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

On the “you won’t have to vote again” thing, I think it was pretty clear that Trump was referring specifically to evangelical voters – i.e. that this is the only election they need to be mobilised for, and that they can go back to not caring afterwards because the Republicans will no longer need their votes to get over the line (the context of the quote was that he initially said something along the lines of “I know you hate voting”, which, while counterintuitive on the surface, is no doubt true for some of the more extreme members of those churches who see all civic participation as contrary to God’s teaching). We have to keep in mind that voting is optional in the US, so the idea of a one-off targeted voting drive being explicitly framed as such is far from unheard of.

I obviously don’t think Trump is worthy of being defended and would love to see him disappear from public life, but I think it is true that his statements can be opportunistically misinterpreted in the media at times, and this seems to have been one such case. Whether it’s a Freudian slip and reveals what he’s truly thinking about suspending democracy is another question.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Highly plausible.

However, Trump seems to be really struggling since Harris got subbed in for Biden.

He's always had verbal diarrhea, rambling from point to point and padding with false facts, making outlandish statements, but he's got worse.

He seems fixated on her identifying as Black rather than Indian and the size of the crowds at her rallys. In his interview with Elon Muck today on Twitter he apparently said he want to create an "Iron Dome" for the USA like Israel has and said his would be the "Best Iron Dome in the World" He has to be bleeding supporters who aren't fully rusted on or mentally challenged.

Up against Biden, he looked calm, confident and (somewhat) competent.

Now he looks like an old man who's losing what thin grasp of reality he had and is lashing out with word salad in desperation.

Although it's still very tight in the polls, you'd think the Democrats would have to seriously fvck this up to lose from here.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids

Post by Skids »

They're a different bunch over there though. My mate in SF is very impressed by the way Trump responded after the assassination attempt.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I was wrong.

Harris, Walz and the united Democrats are killing it with their energy and focus on being the sensible adults in charge.

It's been impressive how quickly they've rallied around Harris, got their act together and flipped the mood of their base. I don't feel they will have any problem getting people out to vote for them now and that includes the all important swing voter.

Trump is imploding and in comparison the views of him, Vance and the MAGA crowd look increasingly deranged with every press conference and rally. Walz is right. They're weird.

Trump will lose.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

^ Hope you're right!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Greatest dangers in the US election:
a) underestimating the threat that Trump poses to constitutional democracy in the US
b) believing that a Harris presidency would defend constitutional democracy in the US
c) underestimating the threat that a Harris administration poses to the survival of the planet due to nuclear armageddon.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Skids

Post by Skids »

What happened?.... They are both $1.90 now, with money flowing in for Trump.