Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

The little I've read suggests that the defense strategy has been to attack her credibility and recollection. Things like telling Wilkinson that he had removed her underwear then later admitting she wasn't wearing any and signing a $300k+ book deal with the bandana'd boofhead, Wilkinsons husband.

He declined to testify which means the prosecution couldn't cross examine him, so the whole thing comes down to does the jury believe her.

Risky, but they only need 1 person out of 12 (i think) to not be convinced beyond reasonable doubt.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Wouldn’t that mean a hung jury and retrial? (That is, if 11-1 isn’t enough for a conviction, which I think it may be.)

You need all or most to be unsure to get a not guilty verdict, don’t you?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

You need all to get a unanimous decision, 1 dissenting can still get a majority verdict apparently, any more than 1 juror disagreeing, game over it seems.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... 7/s46.html
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Isn't this trial being conducted under ACT law? I haven't been following it and don't much care but unless they've changed their law, I think they only have unanimous verdicts in criminal trials, there.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Not going to argue, from what I read it seemed to need a unanimous decision, I didn't specifically check ACT law so i'll take your word for it.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Jesus.

You could grate his knob and get enough cheese to cover a family sized pizza.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:Check this guy out :shock: https://www.theage.com.au/world/middle- ... 5bsz3.html
Jesus, anti vaxxers go to extraordinary lengths.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Back to the Higgins rape trial, it's been aborted due to juror misconduct and relished for Feb next year.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 5btei.html

Does this mean she has to go through the ordeal of testifying again or can they use her previous testimony with the new jury?
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

I believe they start brand new, have yo see the person answering for a start to gauge true meaning.

Well on SVU they always do! Often the Vic says no

Absolutely shit for her, just wrong poor woman.

-or for him if he’s innocent

Haven’t been following really
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ yep, horrible ordeal for all parties really. If he's guilty, it sucks putting her through all of this again, and it he's innocent, then it's shit for him having to go through it again.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

I remember one famous trial recently where the victim testified first time and the jury was hung, but second time they convicted after they didn’t actually see the victim testify as it was either read out or just a video from first trial. Given it was later overturned may have meant in person makes it easier to read their reactions.

Not casting any opinions on this case, but it can obviously be an option to just reuse the previous testimony.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I seem to recall the same thing Ed, for some reason George Pell comes to mind.

And yeah, same as others, I'm not casting judgment. I believe that she believes what she's saying, but considering she was poleaxed drunk, how much is real vs imagined, no clues. Either way , having to go through the ordeal once would have been horrible for her, having to do it a second time is wrong.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

And this trial has the added complication (for want of a better word) of intense media scrutiny and commentary.

The defence has also referred comments by Brittany Higgins to the media outside the court today to the police and court:

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 6b72452a1b
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome