Discussion about acceptable styles of argument in VPT

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:Interesting quotes above, David. 3 (a) is me, of course. Who else can we spot?
I have a sneaking suspicion that you could replace the word "Finally" with my name.

Would it be against the rules to point out the points are numbered 1,2,3,1,2,3? Is there a law against 4,5 and 6?
I actually did originally have it that way, until I realised that doing so might lend the impression that 4, 5 and 6 are also against the rules. :)
I am chatting with several other people at once.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:Interesting quotes above, David. 3 (a) is me, of course. Who else can we spot?
I have a sneaking suspicion that you could replace the word "Finally" with my name.

Would it be against the rules to point out the points are numbered 1,2,3,1,2,3? Is there a law against 4,5 and 6?
I actually did originally have it that way, until I realised that doing so might lend the impression that 4, 5 and 6 are also against the rules. :)
Fairy Nuff.

I also note you use the term "freedom of expression" rather then"Freedom of speech" which is good, because as a BB there is no freedom of speech, you must abide by the rules.

If there was freedom of speech there wouldn't be a swear filter for example.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Freedom of speech does not need to be absolute in order to exist, though. There's no place in the world with pure freedom of speech (except for, I guess, unmoderated forums and chat rooms). I'm comfortable saying that we have a far-more-than-negligible level of freedom of speech on here whilst still having more limitations than, say, we do in broader society.

Whether that's a good thing is another question. As I've said, I don't write the rules, just do my best to enforce them.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

No argument.

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy at the spirit of congeniality I may have to empty my ignore list and embrace the differences.

Or that may just be the red wine. See how I pull up in the morning, If I wake up in a shitty mood I may put everyone on ignore. :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

If this thread goes for more than 7 pages, that's my plan!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:Freedom of speech does not need to be absolute in order to exist, though. There's no place in the world with pure freedom of speech (except for, I guess, unmoderated forums and chat rooms). I'm comfortable saying that we have a far-more-than-negligible level of freedom of speech on here whilst still having more limitations than, say, we do in broader society.

Whether that's a good thing is another question. As I've said, I don't write the rules, just do my best to enforce them.
Except that silly fat shaming rule, I'm sure you wrote that one.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What is your credit card number?
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

David wrote: There's no place in the world with pure freedom of speech (except for, I guess, unmoderated forums and chat rooms).
Yeah there is my lounge room without hubby or with hubby - yes Dear :wink: :P :D
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
David

Post by David »

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:Freedom of speech does not need to be absolute in order to exist, though. There's no place in the world with pure freedom of speech (except for, I guess, unmoderated forums and chat rooms). I'm comfortable saying that we have a far-more-than-negligible level of freedom of speech on here whilst still having more limitations than, say, we do in broader society.

You apply for a moderating role and you too can interpret the rules to your heart's content. Until then, enjoy our reign of PC terror. ;) :twisted:
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

You apply for a moderating role and you too can interpret the rules to your heart's content. Until then, enjoy our reign of PC terror. ;) :twisted:
Not sure the point of a libertarian moderator. :lol:
David

Post by David »

Lol, fair point. But it wouldn't be totally boring - you'd let us have guns, wouldn't you? :lol:
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Well, great effort, David. It's basically impossible to codify that stuff, but Nick's has somehow always done a great job of it. There are definitely some magic ingredients in the Nick's moderation recipe, so as much as I might wish to argue certain things in a narrow sense, the success of Nick's in the broader sense speaks for itself.

Let's see if I can give something back to the house and tow the line at the same time :)
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:Lol, fair point. But it wouldn't be totally boring - you'd let us have guns, wouldn't you? :lol:
Of course, with a strong lashing of the Non Aggression Principle.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:No argument.

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy at the spirit of congeniality I may have to empty my ignore list and embrace the differences.

Or that may just be the red wine. See how I pull up in the morning, If I wake up in a shitty mood I may put everyone on ignore. :P
or luvdids water!!

gees i go to netball, and watch the walking dead and i miss all the action!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:

yes gina must still be fair game

(sarcasm folks,sarcasm) :wink:

:idea: :idea: :idea:

:P :P :P

8) 8) 8)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:?: :arrow: :idea:

david still there?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!