George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Bugger Walmart, I want Walgreens here.
hehehe, i can imagine!!

i think we need these cops:

and with all the bad news stories, i prefer these images:

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:And - hold the press - white supremacists have been trying to frame the Left with fake news:

Twitter has suspended a fake "antifa" profile on its platform, which the tech giant says was linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, for making posts inciting violence during ongoing protests in the United States, according to US reports.

The recently created account, @ANTIFA_US, issued tweets calling for violence and rioting. "Tonight's the night, Comrades," the account tweeted. "Tonight we say ‘F--- The City' and we move into residential areas… the white hoods… and we take what's ours ..." 

The post ended with #BlackLivesMatter and #F***America, and the profile's photo included the antifa logo.

A Twitter spokesperson told NBC News that the fake account was suspended because it violated the company's platform manipulation and spam policy. Twitter told CNN that the company removed the account after the account "sent a Tweet inciting violence."

https://www.dw.com/en/twitter-suspends- ... a-53656003
No shit sherlock; that's what Pies4Shaw was saying all along.

Wait a minute ......
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Word of the day: "kettling":

‘Kettling’ of Peaceful Protesters Shows Aggressive Shift by N.Y. Police

Officers have charged and swung batons at demonstrators after curfew with seemingly little provocation. The mayor said he would review any reports of inappropriate enforcement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/nyre ... s-nyc.html
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

This will lead to a massive spike in black / gang crime. Police will be too afraid to apprehend blacks and blacks will take advantage of the situation.

Typical pendulum action.

Who'd want to be a cop?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Videos often contradict what police say in reports. Here's why some officers continue to lie

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/p ... index.html
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Mocking is an effective strategy, too:
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 16416?s=20
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm

Post by 5150 »

Not going to be the popular opinion but...
George Floyd - murdered
Indigenous 16 yo kid - should have been arrested for threatening police but not face planted.
75 yo in Buffalo - deserved to be pushed back for attempting to grab the officer, I bet he know what he was doing. Life long provocateur.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

^ Really classy how the cops just kept marching on as the blood started pooling around his head.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

Post by 5150 »

David wrote:^ Really classy how the cops just kept marching on as the blood started pooling around his head.
Agree.

If he had just stayed home with the grandkids eating Halal KFC this wouldnt have happened. He could also be working on his balance which seems pretty poor.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

5150 wrote:He could also be working on his balance which seems pretty poor.
Are we watching the same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeewU0HhNE

Let's see your balance when you're 75 and shoved by police officers.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I don't see what the purpose of pushing him was, in the circumstances. It was quite unnecessary.

One day, somewhere, the police attendance at a demonstration is going to be reported from the perspective of the protesters, instead of the authoritarians, as, eg: "Organisers of the protest said they were pleased with the attitude of the police at today's protest - there was no illegal use of force by the constabulary and their presence assisted the passage of the demonstration."
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Lol, given they are usually protesting against the state and the police are apart of that, protestors will always complain about the police no matter what they do.

99.9% of people who have run ins with the police bring it in themselves then cry when the police fight back. Who wants to go to work every day to protect people only to be abused and spat on and yet if you dare retaliate, you get painted as the bad guy!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

eddiesmith wrote:Lol, given they are usually protesting against the state and the police are apart of that, protestors will always complain about the police no matter what they do.

99.9% of people who have run ins with the police bring it in themselves then cry when the police fight back. Who wants to go to work every day to protect people only to be abused and spat on and yet if you dare retaliate, you get painted as the bad guy!
Yep yep and yep

My sister is in charge of planning police strategies for a lot of protest rallies and footy crowds, a hell of a lot of planning goes into trying to prevent trouble. Do people really belittle cops want these things to go off?

I do wonder if charges had been brought immediately against all 4 officers, would it have come to this? While I can’t condone the looting it’s hard to not understand the protestors.

I just can’t get passed the 4 of them just treating it like an everyday occurrence
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!

Post by 5150 »

Wonka wrote:
5150 wrote:He could also be working on his balance which seems pretty poor.
Are we watching the same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeewU0HhNE

Let's see your balance when you're 75 and shoved by police officers.
Not sure I’d be putting my hands anywhere near a police officers gun or person during a very tense protest in the middle of a pandemic where my age group were dropping like flies.
He should have more prepared to push or shoved back or what was he expecting? The police just to walk around him?
I still think he knew what he was doing. I’m calling it planned fall, probably didn’t mean to smash his head open but none the less.