Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

What'sinaname wrote:All dickheads like Josh Thomas, that former MP and now the Coco pops clan are doing is trivialising the issue.

Doing that just makes people who are sympathetic to the real issue become less sympathetic and eventually resentful of the whole thing.
I’m doubtful that anyone who ever seriously cared about combating racial injustice is going to suddenly become hostile towards it because of some scattered instances of "PC gone mad". Anyone who says that is just pushing their own agenda and was never genuinely sympathetic to begin with.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't
Well that’s obviously because you are drinking from the wrong glass - get thee some of these and bang - the light will shine down on thee and you will be enlightened and understand that this is the way forward ( the only way and the only voice) .......

https://www.cafepress.com.au/+drinking_glass,46246442
damn hell, baby bibs??? i thought i was bad brainwashing my kids with black & white!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:All dickheads like Josh Thomas, that former MP and now the Coco pops clan are doing is trivialising the issue.

Doing that just makes people who are sympathetic to the real issue become less sympathetic and eventually resentful of the whole thing.
I’m doubtful that anyone who ever seriously cared about combating racial injustice is going to suddenly become hostile towards it because of some scattered instances of "PC gone mad". Anyone who says that is just pushing their own agenda and was never genuinely sympathetic to begin with.
Well, I am one person who was seriously concerned about racial (and other) injustice, and now, though still wishing for a fairer, more just, society, I am almost completely turned off the cause due to the highjacking of (imo) important causes by every phucking do-gooder this side of Mars.
kill for collingwood!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mars = Carlton. That should be banned, too.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

^^ That's fair enough.

And I'm not really "almost completely turned off the cause", just turned off many of the people within.
kill for collingwood!
David

Post by David »

roar wrote:
David wrote:

Well, I am one person who was seriously concerned about racial (and other) injustice, and now, though still wishing for a fairer, more just, society, I am almost completely turned off the cause due to the highjacking of (imo) important causes by every phucking do-gooder this side of Mars.
Nothing wrong with feeling cynicism towards the opportunists and hangers-on (e.g. all the wealthy companies who have suddenly become "woke" about race), along with the vapid posturing on social media, but I do think we need to keep our eye on the ball here: focusing on the organisations and individuals who use their wealth and political connections to perpetuate disparities and keep people down, because while they might not so visibly post annoying stuff on Twitter, they're the ones with the real power here.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ WTF is this "woke" thing? Don't you mean awaken?
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

What'sinaname wrote:^ WTF is this "woke" thing? Don't you mean awaken?
To be "Woke" means to be conscious of trendy social issues, usually paired with "virtue signalling" or letting others who hold the same views know that you hold those views too by expressing them, loudly and often, usually on social media.

The irony that every powerful corporation, media outlet and most politicians back these same views is totally lost on these folks who think they're fighting the man, when it's the Man who's funding and pushing the whole thing.
David

Post by David »

It’s basically the intersectional left version of being red-pilled. :P
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I see. The Websters Dictionary describes it as African American Vernacular English.

Are we still chill with non African Americans to imitate how African Americans talk?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Jezza wrote:^ Thought it was comedian, Josh Thomas heading up the campaign on twitter.
Don't know what "it" refers to, but maybe it's Pie Josh Thomas, which explains why he's gone missing from the forward line.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

What'sinaname wrote:I see. The Websters Dictionary describes it as African American Vernacular English.

Are we still chill with non African Americans to imitate how African Americans talk?
I think you'd be surprised (or maybe not?) to read just how many commonplace terms have emerged from AAVE. "Cool", "jazz", "hipster" are just a few that come to mind.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Next time I visit the supermarket I'm buying 'Coon Cheese' and 'Coco Pops' ;)
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Jezza wrote:Next time I visit the supermarket I'm buying 'Coon Cheese' and 'Coco Pops' ;)
Get some Chicos and Redskins from the lolly aisle, some Uncle Ben's microwave rice, some Stubbs BBQ sauce and some Aunt Jemimah pancake mix and syrup while you're there.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.