#43 Charlie Dean

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

I say, lets try Dean at Full forward! What is there to lose?
Believer
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I say, lets try Dean at Full forward! What is there to lose?
...the game?

To my mind he'll be struggling to hold his spot in our team at all, now we have Moore, Howe and Frampton as our preferred defensive talls.

Up forward, we should be strengthened by having McInnes and WHE there as fast, mobile, marking forwards. If any defender is likely to be played up forward, my guess is it would be Howe, given he has played there before.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I say, lets try Dean at Full forward! What is there to lose?
It worked for Checkers. He was a VFL KPB who we turned into a very good forward. Could lightening strike twice?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Sure, but is there any evidence that Dean can actually play up there? I may be misremembering but I'm pretty sure Mihocek had spent some time up forward in the VFL before he was drafted as a defender.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

stui magpie wrote:
It worked for Checkers. He was a VFL KPB who we turned into a very good forward. Could lightening strike twice?
Anyone who remembers watching Lachlan Keeffe playing full forward for our VFL team understands that lightning does strike the same place twice but only rarely.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Checkers was AA U18's , and is grossly underestimated as a footballer.

Underestimated early by supports because of success / failure bias imo.

The 'good honest footballer' moniker which I reckon is apt, because even by my own bias, he is more athletic than he looks.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I see no reason to move Charlie Dean into a position he hasn't trained for. This young man simply needs our patience (he's played 4 games FFS) and games into him to determine his viability as a longer-term KPD.
If it wasn't for injury, he'd have a body of games we could objectively make a comparison to positional peers at the same age.

Player Statistics Comparison
Steven May
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=O&fid2=O

Jack Henry

Noah Balta

Jordan Ridley

Simon Prestigiacomo

Gary Pert
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

He’s young and young talls generally take time to find there feet
He’s well worth more games
Leave him down back and let him learn his trade
Howe is a season away from being done
I like his work ethic yes he’s making some mistakes but there’s a huge upside to the kid imo
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

I was at a Past Players reunion a few weeks ago and Charlie turns out to be my mate's Grandson. His Grandfather was a great player and I now have a special interest in watching him. Thought he played great today.
mightypies90
Been liked: 3 times

Post by mightypies90 »

^

He was good today, we need to persist and get games into him. It’s the only way he gats better.
The artist formerly known as schuey7.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

A solid performance from Dean, demonstrating how getting consecutive games under his belt have resulted in him growing in confidence. He may never be a star, but he is proving to be a solid contributor down back.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

We seem to have found the new Nathan Murphy. Very sound game.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Dean (unlike) Frampton has genuine footy IQ knowing the patterns of play and where/when best to intercept. At 195cm and a bigger frame than Miurphy, he can play on the monsters too. Think as discussed above, more game time the better.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

The biggest difference I’ve noticed is his confidence. Compared to game No.1 it has improved every week. Even when he went back to VFL level & came back.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange