Rucking Duties

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Wouldn’t have got Lipinski if we didn’t trade Treloar. Who’s better value for money right now and for the next 3 years?
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

so is Grundy Gawn or what :?:
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I think there’s another aspect in all this “ asset realignment “ that hasn’t been considered yet. If you have a million dollars tied up in your best player ( regardless if it’s Grundy or not ) and that player gets injured for an extended period, the chances are whoever comes in to replace him is going to be a far lesser player, based on his minimal salary.
You can’t have it both ways. You either invest heavily at the top end and have nothing under them or you share the cap around and still remain competitive when you get a few injuries. You work on the premise that some of your depth players will improve but the selective elite remain as elite. Every club pays big bucks to its marquee players but the challenge is to either reduce the number of players at the top end or find a way to still keep them on a bit less money ( and that’s usually opportunities after footy )
When you think of our only two significant injuries over the final series, we had around $1.5 million sitting on the sidelines and yet all our injury sub options were questionable at best. In this instance, were talking about not even having any justified trust in our 25th player on a list of 40 odd. When you reach that scenario, something has to give.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Which is the whole reason why other clubs have more success than Collingwood.

At a successful club a player would think ‘I can go to Adelaide for $1 million a year and play in a losing team every week or take $700,000 to stay here and build something special.’

Obviously a player who doesn’t value success will instead say to his current club, pay me $7 million or I walk. Having an incompetent football department at the time meant they caved on day 1 of negotiations and here we are…
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

[quote="Wonka"][quote="eddiesmith"]Why do we need to replace him with a similar or better ruckman? We just made a prelim without him so it’s not like he’s a big loss
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

tbaker wrote:^ surely the club has to be playing hard-ball with Melbourne and get the 300k down lower. Then there's the issue of what draft pick they pay in return. The higher $ we pay of his salary, the higher the draft pick we will receive. We'd better not get screwed both ways, where we pay $300k, and also only end up with a low draft pick...

NO way Jose, tell the Deees to get stuffed, we are not paying one red cent for him to play against us, not a ****, those days are gone now. They are the Toffs club, let their wealthy fans chip in to pay him. Not us, its just utter madness to pay a former player, to try too beat us. :? :x
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

People just gloss over the actual facts here so much

Fact since Grundy signed the mega deal he’s ranked the 8th best ruckman in the competition based on champion data records only Gawn and Nic Nat are paid anywhere near his realm of salary and both ranked much higher

Fact once he signed the mega deal his first public comment was his life wouldn’t be defined by what he achieved on a football field ! (For someone just handed $7 million one would have thought he may have said something along the lines of I’ll do whatever it takes to bring success to the club)

Fact Grundy’s management have driven this in the media non stop to there advantage. No one from Collingwood has come out and confirmed we are willing to pay $300k. The fact is suitors value Grundy at a $600/$700k player not the million we paid him

Fact since Grundy was injured our team performed much better with our winning % going from 50% (3-3) at time of injury to 13-3 (regular season results) or just over 75%
Yes it can be argued the team evolved more as the season progressed with a new game plan. It can also be argued with Cameron and Cox it suited the new game plan much better than playing Grundy. Both Cameron and Cox do one thing markedly better than Grundy they take marks above there head and they kick the odd goal

I was never sold on Grundy at a million a season and stated several times players earning that sort of money he need to be match winners like a Petracca or Oliver or Neale etc
Ruckman dont win you big games in today’s football world
Stanley will battle Hickey in the GF who combined salaries would be about 50% of Grundy’s
Neither lead any stats all they do is make a contest at stoppages and centre bounces that’s it

Personally I like the idea of him going to Melbourne it closes there premiership window for 5 years (more likely 2 years until he’s offloaded again) when they realise Gawn isn’t a FF and Grundy isn’t a ruckman who taps the ball to his teams advantage and there clearance game suffers dramatically
For a team with no true power forward and lacking in mids we went within a point of a GF
Fill those gaps and refine the game plan and get more miles and experience into the likes of Johnson Carmichael etc and we have a bright future
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

DP
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

qldmagpie67 wrote:People just gloss over the actual facts here so much

Fact since Grundy signed the mega deal he’s ranked the 8th best ruckman in the competition based on champion data records only Gawn and Nic Nat are paid anywhere near his realm of salary and both ranked much higher

Fact once he signed the mega deal his first public comment was his life wouldn’t be defined by what he achieved on a football field ! (For someone just handed $7 million one would have thought he may have said something along the lines of I’ll do whatever it takes to bring success to the club)

Fact Grundy’s management have driven this in the media non stop to there advantage. No one from Collingwood has come out and confirmed we are willing to pay $300k. The fact is suitors value Grundy at a $600/$700k player not the million we paid him

Fact since Grundy was injured our team performed much better with our winning % going from 50% (3-3) at time of injury to 13-3 (regular season results) or just over 75%
Yes it can be argued the team evolved more as the season progressed with a new game plan. It can also be argued with Cameron and Cox it suited the new game plan much better than playing Grundy. Both Cameron and Cox do one thing markedly better than Grundy they take marks above there head and they kick the odd goal

I was never sold on Grundy at a million a season and stated several times players earning that sort of money he need to be match winners like a Petracca or Oliver or Neale etc
Ruckman dont win you big games in today’s football world
Stanley will battle Hickey in the GF who combined salaries would be about 50% of Grundy’s
Neither lead any stats all they do is make a contest at stoppages and centre bounces that’s it

Personally I like the idea of him going to Melbourne it closes there premiership window for 5 years (more likely 2 years until he’s offloaded again) when they realise Gawn isn’t a FF and Grundy isn’t a ruckman who taps the ball to his teams advantage and there clearance game suffers dramatically
For a team with no true power forward and lacking in mids we went within a point of a GF
Fill those gaps and refine the game plan and get more miles and experience into the likes of Johnson Carmichael etc and we have a bright future
You have hit the nail on the head
- Side By Side -
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

They say that football is played by physical skill combined with mental ability. After he got his contract, I cannot fathom why Gundry wouldn’t have been so committed to perform to the very best of his ability to bring success to Collingwood. He should have stated this loud and clear, even during his time with his injury. I too agree with Qld 67 that his management have been terrible and worse than amateurish. If he wants out, let him go but we must be compensated really well, nothing less. If Collingwood don’t benefit from him leaving, then we will be stitched up yet again on these trades.
Last edited by lazzadesilva on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

slangman wrote:Grundys best is extremely good as he has proven. Unfortunately for him, that was quite a while ago now.
Yes, the last time he played for us - last qtr on Anzac Day when he almost single handedly won us that game (with a bung knee) - was quite a while ago now.
I find your lack of faith disturbing
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

lazzadesilva wrote:They say that football is played by physical skill combined with mental ability. After he got his contract, I cannot fathom why Gundry wouldn’t have been so committed to perform to the very best of his ability to bring success to Collingwood. He should have stated this loud and clear, even during his time with his injury. I too agree with Qld 67 that his management have been terrible and worse than amateurish. If he wants out, let him go but we must be compensated really well, nothing less. If Collingwood don’t benefit from him leaving, then we will be stitched up yet again on these trades.
I’ve been attacked when I dare to suggest that the motivation to perform is no longer there when you’re set up for life, especially for a player like Grundy given his public comments.

QLD 67 absolutely nailed it, but facts aren’t welcome by the Grundy cult who worship their hero more than the football club they claim to support.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

eddiesmith wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:They say that football is played by physical skill combined with mental ability. After he got his contract, I cannot fathom why Gundry wouldn’t have been so committed to perform to the very best of his ability to bring success to Collingwood. He should have stated this loud and clear, even during his time with his injury. I too agree with Qld 67 that his management have been terrible and worse than amateurish. If he wants out, let him go but we must be compensated really well, nothing less. If Collingwood don’t benefit from him leaving, then we will be stitched up yet again on these trades.
I’ve been attacked when I dare to suggest that the motivation to perform is no longer there when you’re set up for life, especially for a player like Grundy given his public comments.
You're not the victim here, and Brodie Grundy's life and circumstances are not all about you, so stop appropriating them. You're getting far too close to obsessive stalking over the bloke for comfort.

It's extremely obvious you're an average Joe projecting your own psychology on a high performer. You're discussing something miles outside your life and world experience with an embarrassing confidence that makes everyone else cringe and think you're a few sandwiches short. The internet might encourage this, but that doesn't make it more becoming.

Face reality: your challenge is very different to that of Brodie Grundy. You have never been self-motivated enough to excel at something to an extent that you have experienced something like being drafted, achieving AA and being offered an enormous contract in a bidding war. Your obliviouness as to how loud and clear this is is cringeworthy.

You could've held the view that we can't afford Grundy without all that ugly acting out and projection. Get a grip on yourself and start grasping the difference between intrinsic motivation of the sort Brodie Grundy has clearly had all his life as a high performer, and the fantasy you have that if someone paid you more that you'd magically start excelling. You won't; it takes intrinsic motivation to excel at something.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Bucks5
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Piesnchess wrote:
slangman wrote:
Wonka wrote: The newspaper reported last week that Tom Hawkins, who was awarded the AA captaincy this year, is on a salary of about $400,000, so the answer to your question may be that some of their players are less greedy and selfish than some of ours.
Having just finished reading Neil Balmes book, you can see why he was able to hold premiership lists together a little longer than most.

“How much do you need?” opposed to “how much do you want?” was his philosophy which probably explains why players like Hawkins are on 300-400k.

Going back say, two seasons, Hawk is bit older now, but say, two seasons ago , if he was out of contract, and a Melbourne club, offered him say, $700 000 for three yrs, per year, you telling me hed knock back 300K more per year, to stay with the Cats ?? Thats $900 K more, every man has his price, he would not have knocked that back, turn it up. :o
I actually would. Hawkins runs a farm in his spare time and he is a full on country boy. Geelong have a real advantage, they have their own boutique ground and players will take less money for the Surf coast lifestyle and lower cost of living.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^I've often though that, too. Some of the intestate clubs have similar advantages.

This is one reason why we need to be the exciting, high energy centre of footy for those so inclined. McRae's brand of footy and embrace of individuality is really helping with this, as is the club's new admin keeping a low profile. Now to strengthen that by refusing to be bullied by the media, and protecting our lads more ferociously as we shrewdly minimise the media stress on them at the same time and build their post-footy careers. Everyone who plays for our club needs to feel the buzz and upside of that energy, and leave better off and far better for the experience in every way.

I reckon we're finally onto that, too.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm