Pre-Match. Magpies v. Bombers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

I would feel much more comfortable if they rested Murphy...been through alot in the last few weeks and he is too important a cog to risk.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

90 nice wrote:Anyone feel like 2024 we will be in the wheelhouse to win the flag and not quite comfortable and confident about 2023 is quite our year.
I wish I could say yes, but our older players will be another year older, and the younger ones (Daicos boys excepted) are not coming on. 2024 will start a new rebuild for the club. Sorry, but our list just isn't good enough. And so many other teams are improving.
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

dmov73 wrote: A game clear top of ladder, with a game to play. Been top most of the season. At one stage results could have had us four games clear top, but some are not comfortable we can win it this year?
I hope the players don’t read some of the posts on this forum or else they’d be wondering what the hell they need to do to earn just a modicum of respect for what they’ve achieved to date, knowing full well we haven’t even started the real stuff yet.
Have you seen the Champion data stats in the past four weeks? We've gone from being number one in defense and number one in scores from the defensive half to number 16 for both! Our collapse is not just anecdotal it's catastrophic. No one has won the flag losing three out of their last four matches.
Last edited by shawthing on Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

thinking going into 2023 would be a mini re set and re build.

Say make a week 2 exit.

Then primed up in 2024.

We end up winners in the trade and draft we are the goods in 2024.

Time to get some talented youth back in.

Agree tho there is a chasing pack carlton,suns,saints etc......
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

90 nice wrote: We end up winners in the trade and draft we are the goods in 2024.

Time to get some talented youth back in...
And how do you think this will be achieved with Hine making decisions?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

shawthing wrote:
Have you seen the Champion data stats in the past four weeks? We've gone from being number one in defense and number one in scores from the defensive half to number 16 for both! Our collapse is not just anecdotal it's catastrophic. No one has won the flag losing three out of their last four matches.
Such a structural statistical decline can only be explained as a mindset issue. That is why we need to focus absolutely everything on playing ourselves back into confidence and energy against Essendon this Friday night. No holds barred - we need win this game in decisive fashion.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

shawthing wrote:
dmov73 wrote: A game clear top of ladder, with a game to play. Been top most of the season. At one stage results could have had us four games clear top, but some are not comfortable we can win it this year?
I hope the players don’t read some of the posts on this forum or else they’d be wondering what the hell they need to do to earn just a modicum of respect for what they’ve achieved to date, knowing full well we haven’t even started the real stuff yet.
Not much point turning up then. Does seem a bit of pity after earning double chance and hosting at least a couple home finals though.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

shawthing wrote:Have you seen the Champion data stats in the past four weeks? We've gone from being number one in defense and number one in scores from the defensive half to number 16 for both!
Our collapse is not just anecdotal it's catastrophic. No one has won the flag losing three out of their last four matches.
However damningly correct those stats may be, they have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of this weeks game, or the minimum two finals we have qualified for.

Granted, they don't exactly have any of us brimming with confidence though....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

piedys wrote: However damningly correct those stats may be, they have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of this weeks game, or the minimum two finals we have qualified for.

Granted, they don't exactly have any of us brimming with confidence though....
Yes, so correct. These stats have no bearing whatsoever on what we will produce over the next few weeks. However, they are a warning that we need to lift the mindset. It has waned over the last few weeks. Yet this is the same team whose physical and mental prowess brought us to where we are now. Our team isnt going to let Champion Data trends dictate where they go from here.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
dmov73

Post by dmov73 »

shawthing wrote:Have you seen the Champion data stats in the past four weeks? We've gone from being number one in defense and number one in scores from the defensive half to number 16 for both! Our collapse is not just anecdotal it's catastrophic. No one has won the flag losing three out of their last four matches.
So they’re done then? That’s what you’re saying. I can’t remember us being smashed in those losses either. I can remember numerous injured stars out tho. For the record, that stat about is meaningless when we beat the dons on Friday night. And 18th just beat bulldogs last week with nothing to play for, and they’ve been crap all year, so don’t mind me for keeping my faith
Sometimes the good you do does you no good. Tony Soprano.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If Murphy joins Moore on the sidelines I think we have no choice but to move Howe to defence as neither Frampton nor a Ruscoe has the intercept game he can provide.

If Murphy is out and Howe goes back do we still look to shore up our defence even further with Ruscoe or do we look to replace Howe up forward with McInnes?

If Murphy makes another miraculous recovery Howe shifting back in place of Ryan could yet be considered and we go with a bunch of smalls to compliment Mihocek, McStay, Cox/Cameron.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

You’ve got to win them when you get the chance, too many times we’ve scraped into a grand final when we weren’t a true premiership contender and lost.

2011 is probably the only grand final we’ve lost in my lifetime where we truly blew a chance as the team to beat and still lost.

This year we are definitely a contender, plus they often say you have to lose one first to win, we are the only premiership contender who has players who have actually lost a grand final and Melbourne is the only contender to have won one.

Everyone is lacking in big game experience so it’s a bloody great time to get a flag and ensure all the hard work we did in the first 20 rounds counts for something.
perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

shawthing wrote:
We are first team for 14 years to have had top four in locked five weeks before finals (St.Kilda 2009). So even though I am very aware of the premiers win at least 3 of their last 4 home and away games stat, this year that stat is almost meaningless. There are a couple exceptions too in the last twenty years. But it’s been 14 years since a top team didn’t have to spend much of their last five weeks playing at full intensity to lock in top 4 and then top 2 for a home final.

The other point is strategic. Being in this unique position for a month what could Wade in conjunction with coaches do with the fitness program? They could increase the pre finals training load above and beyond what all the other teams have been able to in the last few weeks. And that is exactly what we have done as confirmed by Taylor Adams on radio. Let’s wait to see how this extra fitness advantage plays out in finals.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Well, I think it's time to scrap the old tradition of captain and coach holding up the premiership cup and instead hoist up a champion data stat sheet. It's all about the stats!
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Magpietothemax wrote:
shawthing wrote:
Such a structural statistical decline can only be explained as a mindset issue. That is why we need to focus absolutely everything on playing ourselves back into confidence and energy against Essendon this Friday night. No holds barred - we need win this game in decisive fashion.
THIS ^^^^

I think it’s a very dangerous situation that they are struggling this close to the finals. Before I get flamed, I’m not obviously talking about finishing on top, I’m talking about the lack of momentum going in. Opinions differ on this but I believe that it is an underrated factor for finals footy which is on a higher level. I would think that beating Essenscum by heaps is now a mandatory requirement but I hope that it’s not too late to gather some impressive form. The last thing we need is to get pissed off in straight sets and I don’t think this will happen but geez sometimes we are our own worst enemyPlease check email now
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️