Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:I'm hearing rumours the Giants are cracking open the sarcophagus .......

and unwrapping the Mummy!

Haha, just kidding...thank f*ck
Well, they're not playing Melbourne. And anyway, Melb. weren't crazy enough to play Grundy in finals.

The Mummy doesn't work against anyone else. Sadly, their new kid does. It's a worry!
K

Post by K »

Mr Miyagi wrote:I’m quietly confident. Port lost it in the backline, their defenders were very ordinary. Our defence is much stronger. The only issue is Greene.
We've had trouble with gun forwards. Our defence is super-aggressive and not very lockdown-oppo-ish.

And last year IQ played on Hogan. :shock:
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

K wrote:And last year IQ played on Hogan. :shock:
Murphy to Hogan we'd presume?
Leaves either of Moore or Howe to intercept any Hail Mary Bombs inside their F50.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

We will win comfortably. The other teams are good, but we’re better!!

Pies by 42pts
- Side By Side -
K

Post by K »

piedys wrote:...
We entered that 2019 Preliminary Final game, players and fans alike, that the win was effectively a foregone conclusion - we were wrong.
The game was marred by player hubris, and disgraceful umpiring by the three maggots listed below...

For those like me who were seething post siren after that Prelim debacle, and are yet to get over it; well lucky us - our shot at redemption has finally arrived after four long seasons...

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2 ... 90921.html

Round: Preliminary Final Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 21-Sep-2019 4:35 PM Attendance: 77828
Collingwood 2.0.12 3.2.20 3.5.23 7.10.52
Greater Western Sydney 1.3.9 2.5.17 7.7.49 8.8.56
Qrt margin CW by 3 CW by 3 GW by 26 GW by 4

No doubt this will be replayed on Fuxtel504 during the week; I have to watch this, as it's part of my therapy....
To any folks trying this therapy: Keep an eye on Grundy's ruckwork. I reckon you'll be surprised. Your memory prolly tells you Grundy got a ****load of hit outs, but they were all a repeat of: hit out to feet, pack forms, another ball up. If you watch, you'll find Grundy's ruckwork was even more atrocious than that. Bashing hit outs straight to the oppo, etc. Watch out for the one where Grundy tries hitting it, two hands, backwards over his head and it goes straight to the oppo all on his own. :shock: Oh, the horror!!
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Im going to be counter-intuitive here.

Defence wins finals- we keep them below 75 points, we win.

I think our defence will be 'Best-On-Ground' Friday night.

Moore to prove who the All-Australian Captain should have been.

Pies by 21 points.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
K

Post by K »

piedys wrote:
Leaves either of Moore or Howe to intercept any Hail Mary Bombs inside their F50.
Murphy to Hogan, Maynard or Howe to Toby?
piedys

Post by piedys »

K wrote:
piedys wrote:
Murphy to Hogan, Maynard or Howe to Toby?
Maynard seems to be the people's choice; we just need to be wary of Toby doubling back once his opponent gets sucked too far upfield - perhaps IQ then covers him?

I'm sure our coaches are aware of this tactic, and are planning measures to counter it?
piedys

Post by piedys »

K wrote:
We entered that 2019 Preliminary Final game, players and fans alike, that the win was effectively a foregone conclusion - we were wrong.

No doubt this will be replayed on Fuxtel504 during the week; I have to watch this, as it's part of my therapy....
To any folks trying this therapy: Keep an eye on Grundy's ruckwork. I reckon you'll be surprised. Your memory prolly tells you Grundy got a ****load of hit outs, but they were all a repeat of: hit out to feet, pack forms, another ball up.
If you watch, you'll find Grundy's ruckwork was even more atrocious than that. Bashing hit outs straight to the oppo, etc.
Watch out for the one where Grundy tries hitting it, two hands, backwards over his head and it goes straight to the oppo all on his own.
:shock: Oh, the horror!!
Stats recorded as Grundy 73 h/o; Mumford 14.
Of course these stats don't disclose whether those taps are to advantage or disadvantage - i'll leave that to the replay!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

K wrote:
The game was marred by player hubris, and disgraceful umpiring by the three maggots listed below...

For those like me who were seething post siren after that Prelim debacle, and are yet to get over it; well lucky us - our shot at redemption has finally arrived after four long seasons...

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2 ... 90921.html

Round: Preliminary Final Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 21-Sep-2019 4:35 PM Attendance: 77828
Collingwood 2.0.12 3.2.20 3.5.23 7.10.52
Greater Western Sydney 1.3.9 2.5.17 7.7.49 8.8.56
Qrt margin CW by 3 CW by 3 GW by 26 GW by 4

To any folks trying this therapy: Keep an eye on Grundy's ruckwork. I reckon you'll be surprised. Your memory prolly tells you Grundy got a ****load of hit outs, but they were all a repeat of: hit out to feet, pack forms, another ball up. If you watch, you'll find Grundy's ruckwork was even more atrocious than that. Bashing hit outs straight to the oppo, etc. Watch out for the one where Grundy tries hitting it, two hands, backwards over his head and it goes straight to the oppo all on his own. :shock: Oh, the horror!!
The scary part is, that’s the last game Grundy played before the club caved and gave into his unreasonable demands of $7 million over 7 years.

It’s like some idiot at the club looked at a stat sheet and went, oh we can’t lose him when we’ve only got another 12 months to negotiate…
piedys

Post by piedys »

eddiesmith wrote:The scary part is, that’s the last game Grundy played before the club caved and gave into his unreasonable demands of $7 million over 7 years.

It’s like some idiot at the club looked at a stat sheet and went, oh we can’t lose him when we’ve only got another 12 months to negotiate…
Old mate at the club went through quite a few tubes of K-Y jelly in that period
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

piedys wrote:
K wrote:

To any folks trying this therapy: Keep an eye on Grundy's ruckwork. I reckon you'll be surprised. Your memory prolly tells you Grundy got a ****load of hit outs, but they were all a repeat of: hit out to feet, pack forms, another ball up.
If you watch, you'll find Grundy's ruckwork was even more atrocious than that. Bashing hit outs straight to the oppo, etc.
Watch out for the one where Grundy tries hitting it, two hands, backwards over his head and it goes straight to the oppo all on his own.
:shock: Oh, the horror!!
Stats recorded as Grundy 73 h/o; Mumford 14.
Of course these stats don't disclose whether those taps are to advantage or disadvantage - i'll leave that to the replay!
GWS won the centre clearances 10-8
GWS won the clearances 54 - 35

Also that 2019 Prelim score worm is horrible to look at. In front at half time, blown away in the third quarter, GWS get the first goal of the last before we come back and fall short by 4. Sheesh.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

Maynard to Green. He shut him down in the 2018 semi. Green looked frustrated. Cox to mix it up at the centre bounce with his tap outs. After Briggs hurt his left shoulder he only used his right hand for the rest of the match except for once when he had no choice to use his left and he was in agony. After our Brisbane game we went fully defensive tactically to get our defensive game back. It’s back baby. I expect to see us now start to add more of our turnover and then handball waves in the prelim. We are on an upward curve now. I am confident.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by piffdog »

Media will have you believe they’re a u stoppable force bound for a maiden flag - but I suppose that happens to the remaining teams this time of year.

Just looking back at their form over the last couple months.

Rd16 - squeezed past Melbourne in Alice Springs
Rd17 - beat the Hawks at home
Rd18 - beat the crows away
Rd19 - beat the suns at home
Rd20 - squeezed past the Dogs at Ballarat
Rd21 - lost to the Swans at home
Rd22 - belted by the power away
Rd23 - flogged the bombers
Rd24 - beat the blues at Marvel
Elimination - beat the saints away
Semi - beat the power away

There’s some reasonable wins in there, but there’s also a few gimmies. I’d argue the blues were due a loss with finals sewn up and we all know how the power have run out of steam come finals.

That said, winning form is good form and they do have some excellent individual players who are playing well. I don’t think it will be a cake walk, but they also don’t just give flags away either.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Mirror Mirror on the wall.

Adam Kingsley almost nailed the coaching job with us. Think he and Fly the only two who got second interview

16 th to a Prelim

It’s going to be a real tussle. Still think we’ll get over the line.

Don’t see The Loathsome Ones beating Brizzy
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right