Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Presti35 »

Without reading too far back into this thread, I just want the two Whitlock twins. I have interest to see if Zai Millane is picked up late or as a rookie.

Dont ask me how we get picks in, but look at Caddy at Essendon. If Whitlock boys are in that mould, then they are a perfect selection. One at CHB and one at CHF. Yes please.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

The Herald Sun did an article today on each clubs draft prospects, based on perceived needs and current draft picks.

For us they suggest KPP, the Whitlock twins will likely be gone by our current first pick (unless we upgrade by trading) so they put up Jonty Faull (195cm) and Tom Sims (199cm) both Vic key forwards and Noah Mraz, 199cm key back from Dandenong.

I have NFI about any of them
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
I assume Jobe Shanahan had gone before a pick in the thirties too. This kid led the U18s for contested marks in the season. Saw him play once for Essendon VFL team at the end of the year and he kicked a few in the three games he played for them. He’s 195 and attacks the ball really hard. That’s what recruiters are looking for ( amongst other qualities )
The Whitlocks at 200cm sound nice but the challenge is for recruiters to decide if they can still get their hands on the ball against men.
Shanahan has a bit of Nate Caddy about him. Just finds a way to get to the front and hold his position. If we move up the draft order, I would keep an eye out for his name too.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
We appear to be trying to lure a KPF by trade so hard to tell if our recruiting department has any desire for one in the draft. The club is not inclined to tell us openly and Hine only ever talks in riddles.

Jonty Faull looks good but had some injury early. Has scored a few bags and played in the U18 Country rep team. Was a top rated U17 player so has slid a little in the order due to the injury and others taking a step forward sooner (Armstrong, Tauru, Whitlocks and Shanahan). Faull has a good size and looks like his frame will carry a bit of muscle. His name will fit with Smit, he might have a South African connection too. Worth a shot if that’s where we end up.

Thomas Sims looks good also. Bit more height so assume he can FWD ruck also. Has kicked a few bags and played in the U18 Metro team. Looks good on film, big body with blonde hair. Didn’t really take on any of the rep games like Armstrong, Trainor or Jack Whitlock.

Sorry I haven’t got much on Noah Mraz but he’s been in a lot of lists, videos, power rankings etc so he’s there abouts. I think he’s more a KPD than forward though. Have we ever had a Noah on a pies list?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

stui magpie wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:11 pm The Herald Sun did an article today on each clubs draft prospects, based on perceived needs and current draft picks.

For us they suggest KPP, the Whitlock twins will likely be gone by our current first pick (unless we upgrade by trading) so they put up Jonty Faull (195cm) and Tom Sims (199cm) both Vic key forwards and Noah Mraz, 199cm key back from Dandenong.

I have NFI about any of them
Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' August ranking

19 JACK WHITLOCK - KEY FORWARD 200CM
The tall forward has been in exciting form since he finished the carnival well for Vic Country, kicking 2.3, 3.3 and 2.0 in his three games for the Murray Bushrangers post-championships. It followed his two-goal and 13-disposal game for Vic Country in the title decider against Vic Metro. Whitlock is mobile, moves around the ground well and has good disposal for a player his height (200cm).

21 JOBE SHANAHAN - TALL FORWARD 194CM
A stint in the VFL with Essendon has boosted Shanahan's wares. The nicely skilled key forward has played the past two weeks with the Bombers, booting four goals on debut against the Northern Bullants and backing it up with 2.3 against the Suns last week. Shanahan took the most contested marks in the under-18 championships playing for the Allies and kicked three goals against Vic Country. Some recruiters also believe he would be a strong option in defence down the track.

23 JONTY FAULL - TALL FORWARD 195CM
Faull missed the first half of the season with a back injury but kicked five goals in his first game of the year with the Rebels and hasn't stopped kicking goals since. The aggressive and strong-bodied tall forward had exciting moments for Vic Country at the national carnival, and was particularly good against the Allies, and has since gone back to the Coates Talent League and produced a couple of excellent games with the Rebels, including a 3.3 haul against Gippsland two weeks ago.

28 MATT WHITLOCK - KEY FORWARD/DEFENDER 199CM
Whitlock had joined his twin brother Jack in the forward line for the Bushrangers until last week, when he shifted back to defence and had a day out. He took 11 marks and collected 24 disposals while mopping things up in the back half against Dandenong. Whitlock’s versatility is part of his appeal as an athletic tall prospect at both ends of the ground – as well as his surety in defence, he has also kicked 19 goals in 11 Coates Talent League games this year.

30 THOMAS SIMS - TALL FORWARD 199CM
The key forward has been a prominent scoreboard threat this year – he kicked three goals two weeks back for the Knights against Bendigo and has 22 for the season in 11 games at the level. Included in that is two bigger hauls – seven against the Chargers and five against the Jets – that highlighted his mobility, size and forward presence. Sims has the height to stretch for his grabs and be hard to stop.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1195410/cal ... st-ranking
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

If we want the Whitlock twins... make it happen!

I'd be happy if we recruited all five. Make up for last 18 years (2008 Pick 8 Ben Reid + Pick 10 Nathan Brown).
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

Whitlock twins pls.

I reckon we could get Matt who is expected to go around 28. Jack, who is expected to go around 19 will be harder to nab.

But that's the two players I want.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Yes agree on the whitlocks. Ive watched them for most of this year. Do whatever it takes to get one or both.

But either way we should access some talls.

Our picks wont stay like this. Given what we'll get from Noble and maybe Richards if he leaves, and we will try push up the board.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

COLLINGWOOD

Current draft hand: 32, 48, 50
List need: Key position talent

The Pies traded their first-rounder for Lachie Schultz last season. The oldest list in the AFL now needs to retool on the fly; the only certain round one starters under the age of 25 next year will be Nick Daicos and Beau McCreery. The good news is this draft bats deep and there's talent to snare late. Key forward Jonty Faull is a chance to fall into the 30s after an injury-interrupted campaign, but started the season as the top key forward prospect and has kicked bags of goals at various stages. Noah Mraz and Harry O'Farrell may also slide due to injuries but were considered first-round key defenders going into 2024. Looking ahead to 2025, father-son prospect Tom McGuane finished his Western Jets campaign on fire and looks a top-10 talent in 12 months time.
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... state-play
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

Noah Mraz. Been injured this year. But trained with the pies in the pre-season. Models his game off Darcy Moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHC036wZNzk
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
I understand the romance with Zai Millane. Hope he gets a chance too.

I’m keen to see the Pies take a rookie shot or SSP at Isaiah Markovsky. He’s a 2nd cousin of the Daicos boys. Moves well, similar body shape to Nick, has skills and kicked some nice goals in the last Pies VFL game of the year.

If neither of these boys get an AFL spot this year I would love to see them in the pies VFL team to help show their wares further
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

I'd like to see Markovsky rookied as well.
Last edited by Jen2310 on Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

And just like that, two of our three picks have just drifted out that little bit further. Add in NGA, F /S bids plus compensation picks and our first pick is CURRENTLY very close to # 40. We simply have to improve our draft hand first before we concern ourselves with trading anyone back in. You can’t have the oldest team in the comp and not go to the draft until the beginning of the third round.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “