T20 World Cup.

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Arch@M32
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Arch@M32 »

Wade gone, 7/108.
Australia need 41 from 25
Arch@M32

Post by Arch@M32 »

Lose this, smash India? Try and drag Afghanistan through to the semis?
Arch@M32

Post by Arch@M32 »

Definitely a noise
Arch@M32

Post by Arch@M32 »

8/111
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Idiots.
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

"Australia paceman Pat Cummins took a hat-trick for a second match in a row at the Twenty20 World Cup on Saturday, dismissing three Afghan batsmen in successive deliveries after doing the same against Bangladesh on Thursday.

As in Antigua, the Australia test skipper took the first wicket, that of Rashid Khan, with the final ball of one over before sending back Karim Janat and Gulbadin Naib with the first two balls of his next over."

CA.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Thanks to the idiot selectors, did a player ever take back-to-back hat-tricks in such irrelevant circumstances?
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

Tonight. 12.30 am.

Australia v. India.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

India won. Head made 76 from 43.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies4shaw wrote:Idiots.
Thanks to the selectors, Australia is out of the World Cup.

I have been watching 4 team, 3-game round-robin stages in major international soccer tournaments since the 1974 World Cup. It is usual for teams to rest players in the final game, once they have wrapped up qualification for the next stage. I have never seen an international team that hasn't qualified for the next stage rest players in the second of the 3 games becajuse they were facing a "lesser" opponent. That is, of course, exactly what Australia did in this T20 "Super 8 " round.

It isn't just leaving out Starc for a "rest" - it's the "just relax, it'll be fine" message that resting a star gives to the rest of the team - and the added hope and belief it gives the opponent. It's like resting Nick Daicos from a preliminary final because the opposition "won't be that good".

I've read some rubbish about Agar being "preferred in the conditions". They did not (and could not) mean that. Starc just about singlehandedly won the IPL this year, with POTM performances in both finals. He did that in spin-friendly conditions. He is the most devastating (and highest-paid) T20 bowler in the World. He does not get left out for "team balance".

The selectiors should sack themselves, right now.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Disappointing result, but I guess the team will just have to console themselves with having won the world test championship, the 50 over world cup and retaining the Ashes in England.

The T20 cup would have been a nice bookend, but not to be, now it's time to revitalise the team. We gave the old blokes one last shot, time for new blood.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

South Africa is in the final after getting Afghanistan all out for 56
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

Error due to problem with the phone
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ SA made 1/60 in 8.5 overs - that is, they won with 67 of their 120 balls in hand.

No, South Africa did not have Ashton Agar to take the new ball. In the absence of a quality 4th-string non-spinner, they went (reluctantly) with "plan B", which seems to have entailed giving the new ball, instead, to their 2 best fast bowlers - Jansen 3/16 and Rabada 2/14 reduced Afghanistan to 5/23 in 5 overs and that, as Lazza says, was that. Jansen was named POTM.

I wonder whether this new strategy of giving the ball to your two most dangerous quicks when the opposition can't play fast bowling might catch on? Perhaps Jansen should have been rested, though? Thoughts?