Pre-Match. Magpies v. Bombers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Welcome to the side Ned Long.
He must be replacing Lachie Sullivan who
has battled in recent weeks.
Biggest game of the year.
Win and top four in reach.
Lose and out of the 8 they go.
woodsmen rule
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Congratulations to Ned Long. I heard Fergus Greene, who played at the Hawks with him, say that he worked as hard on his game as anyone during his time at Hawthorn. These are the guys you want to see succeed.
I get the feeling Collingwood is desperate to find that fifth clearance midfielder ( particularly without Mitchell ) who can get it done around stoppages. It’s been a revolving door for the fifth centre square mid this year ( behind Nick, Jordy, Crisp and Pendles ) and none of them to date have really made the position their own. MacRae, Sullivan and even Bytel to a lesser extent haven’t quite managed the consistency required at this level to play well week in, week out. It would be a huge plus for the club if Long could grab the opportunity with both hands and make the position his own. Go well young man.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Apparently in his first VFL game with us he laid 17 tackles. That must be a record. Hope he has a good game.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

The selection makes sense given our midfield has been below expectations recently
Our defence comes under more pressure because our mids haven’t been applying so ugh pressure around the ball
We’ve conceded on average 60 inside 50’s per game the past 4 weeks
That many entries will sooner or later hurt in our case it’s been sooner.
Pendles arm still isn’t 100% you could tell in a few attempted tackles last week so bringing in someone to really amp up the tackling and pressure makes sense
Good luck to Ned hope he has a awesome debut and many more games to come
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Really don’t know what to expect from the pies this week. We’re all optimistic for a good result and another 4 points, however we get there. I would just like to have a result that doesn’t hang in the balance in the last 5minutes. That will be as much about Essendon as it will be about the Pies.

The bombers have been on top of our mids for the Anzac game and both VFL games. We nullified the Blues this year with tactics on Cripps. Pretty much the only team who’s done this apart from Sydney. We have to find a way to nullify Merrett, Caldwell, Martin and Durham plus either of Tsatas Setterfield or Shiel if one comes in.

Once we gain control of the midfield we need to manage the wings. Essendon has been really strong through the wings and we haven’t for long patches of games this year. WHE, Lipinski ,Sidey and Markov will be important here.

We have enough cattle to get the job done. We know Essendon will come hard for Naicos probably rotating players on him rather than a single tag, especially late
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Some in the media are writting the Pies off for this match.
Still another week away.
Just way to unsettled for mine.
Just one big rotating door players in and and out all the time.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Whoa Nelly, either the AFL is going to umpire as usual and not give in to Essendon, or they’re totally going to be biased to Essendon. We’ll see and I hope players are made aware of what the umps are hot on.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I LOVE being the underdog, Lloyd, Bartel, Cornes all written us off. Least we have beaten top sides in the 8, Blues, Deees, Lions, Dons beaten nobody, flat track bullies, they were utter shit v the Cats. Line in the sand match, this one, win and we make top 4, lose, and im not so sure. Woods by 23 points, Go Woods. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote:I doubt Collingwood can win this by more than about 70 points - but happy to be wrong.

With our full team,all back in and fit, we could have, but injuries still hitting us hard, now McCreery and Noble. But, I reckon 23 points more like it. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Here's a stat: we have only played once at the MCG in the past 7 weeks (and just twice in the past 9 weeks if you go as far back as the Crows-Eagles)! Funny that our HOME ground is where we play our best footy, as we're undefeated there since our diabolical start to the season in March.

Our past 5 games as follows, which means tomorrow will have been 7 weeks between MCG outings (fixturing sabotage as far as I'm concerned):

Dockers | Perth (controversial DRAW after leading by 25 points heading into time on)
Bulldogs | Marvel (brave LOSS after leading by 12 points at the final change)
Demons | MCG (convincing WIN after leading comfortably from go to whoa)
Kangaroos | Marvel (one-point comeback WIN after trailing by 54 points in the second half)
BYE
Suns | Gold Coast (disappointing LOSS, but still led by one point with 4 minutes to play)

I have full confidence that being back at the MCG in front of our big home crowds will be the jolt needed, a ground that suits our style of play, and a ground we play 7 of our remaining 8 games at to close out the H&A season.

Buckle up...
Est. 2002
Born to Pie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Essendon have yet to beat a side currently in the top eight.

They drew with us on ANZAC Day, they have lost to Swans, Port, Carlton and the Cats.

They are yet to play Freo or the Brions.

Lets hope their streak continues!
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

I cannot believe they have left out Reef. Another selection blunder.
Believer
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Born to Pie wrote:Essendon have yet to beat a side currently in the top eight.

They drew with us on ANZAC Day, they have lost to Swans, Port, Carlton and the Cats.

They are yet to play Freo or the Brions.

Lets hope their streak continues!
But not another draw against us, please.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I cannot believe they have left out Reef. Another selection blunder.
Hmm.... I think he would have come in for Jaicos had Jaicos been unable to play. May still come in, if Jaicos withdraws from the team (as I think is possible).
I think likewise McInnes is unlucky to miss out.... I was thinking he could have been selected to play forward and run through the midfield as well.
I am a little concerned with the selection of Frampton forward. We all know he is not impactful as a forward, and would have preferred McInnes as the other tall in our forward line.
Obviously we are banking on Frampton's versatility (will relieve Darcy in the ruck, primarily), which is why he got selected ahead of Reef.
Tough call.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

We have Kreuger don't forget.
But I too, like McInnes as he kicks a couple goals each match.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️